A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Euph..I've been using a bit of software called Trailguage for some time. Even though I have one of those GPS things, I still use it to plan routes in advance, very useful application. You have to be a bit nifty at splicing maps to together with something like Paintshop Pro or Photoshop, but it's worth the effort. http://www.trailgauge.co.uk/

• Minks..re: your wierd foot pod experience, do you think the weight of the shoe would make a difference?! One of the guys at my running club gave me a detailed description of how the Polar foot pod works - all accelerometers and decelerometers. If a shoe weighed more, presumably the acceleration of the foot would be different. Sounds a bit far fetched I suppose, but I know when my feet are caked in mud on some of my off road routes it feels like I'm running with a couple of bricks tied to my feet!
  • am out nonoght guys for a 5 miler, so wish me luck, fingers crossed,
  • i mean tonight,

map24 is an exellent website, when you can get the yhang of it
  • Good 5-miler sweep? Legs getting better? Just did a very sluggish 5 miles myself in new trainers and feeling quite dehydrated. Realised afterwards I hadn't worn pattstrap and leg was fine.

Just realised that if I were to get a garmin/timex, and an mp3 player, wearing them all I'd end up like a borg off star trek. I already carry my phone with me on runs, with the chest strap, wrist device, mp3 attached to arm I'd look like a bionic man. Might wait for Garmin 401. I figure that now they've incorporated a HRM to the 301, the 401 will be 301 + an mp3 player. Does such a thing exist? One less device to carry anyway. I'd invent one myself if I had the feintest idea how mp3 and GPS worked.

I think I must be bored, time for a few beers I guess.

Have a good night.
    Euph
  • Hi Everyone

Haven't been about for a couple of weeks due to having to go back to college cos of new electrical regulations, believe me, trying to do this as well as run a business & train for the FLM is knackering and subsequently, my running took a nosedive last week.

Fortunately it seems to be back on track this week, did 6 miles wednesday, 5 tonite, which was a bit of a struggle as I was in a state of drunken euphoria last night( it wasn't worth it), 12 miles tomorrow, hopefully easy four on Sunday.

I measure all my distances using Microsoft Autoroute, which seems to be quite accurate.

Everyone seems to be doing quite well, speak to you all later

Nick
  • sounds like a good site to be in, hi to all, hope u dont mind if i keep checking back for ideas and inspiration!!!
  • My first run was completed with my Garmin forerunner 301 this morning, 9.75 miles in just over 1 Hour 19 so 8:08 minute miling with an average heart rate of 161(!). The GPS kept it's signal well throughout though the current pace thing may need some playing around with as it fluctuates wildly. I had some problems with losing my heart rate signal a lot of times and when it returned it would often sit at 190 for 30 seconds to a minute which is why I think my average HR was so high. That said I was pushing reasonably hard and my heart rate was certainly in the 150's throughout. I'm glad I got it and I'm sure it will be of great use.

I'm refereeing this afternoon so I may wear my gadget just the hell of it to see how far I run during the course of a football match.

All the best

PPB.
  • Welcome fit?me!!ha ha..! Plenty of people in here to share ideas and inspiration!

NickM.. I started using AutoRoute some time back, but as a lot of my runs are on footpaths, I could never quite work out how to measure routes that went off road. Probably something I missed. That Map24 site looks excellent too, but I think that has the same problem for me.

PPB.. Interesting info on the Garmin. I came sooo close to buying one yesterday afternoon (itchy credit card syndrome) - found a couple of suppliers still advertising at a reasonable price, but alas no stock. Probably a good thing for now, but I bet their new stock will be the wrong side of £200.

Heart rate jitters like that are always the belt slipping for me. The only HRM that I've had that didn't have that problem, was a polar with that soft fabric 'Wearlink' belt. Gives a far superior fit, shame they are not all compatible.

Like the idea of the refereeing excercise, the route would certainly be interesting to see! What do you referee?!

If you have an HRM that records data, wearing it overnight is very interesting (and, OK, a bit sad). I found my average resting heart rate in the hour before I woke was nearly 3-4 beats lower than my resting HR taken manually just after I'd woken. The other thing that always fascinates me about resting HR is that, without fail, everytime I've come down with a bug of some sort my resting HR has gone up considerably before any physical symptoms have set in.

17 miles in 2h32m for me today. Last 2 miles felt pretty tough, but managed to average 8'58" over the distance - which broke down to around 9'15 for the first half and 8'45 for the second half. Only 15" off marathon pace which is comforting. It also felt like a slow run too - but extremely hard to keep the pace slower than 9'15" - that's a first. I used to be able to sit at 9'30/10'00 quite happily.

Still took it out of me though, just woken up after a hot bath and a couple of hours kip!

Hope everyone else's long ones went well.

• 20.5 miles in 3h 11m for me this morning. Glad to stop, and hard to imagine having another 5+ miles to go, but at least I've got 2 and a half months to work on that. All in all, a right good confidence boost.
  • Nice one Colin, not sure how I'd have felt about the prospect of another 3 miles this morning, though timewise I could have squeezed it in. Maybe in a couple of weeks!
  • Went for 20 miles at approx marathon pace -2 hours 50 - slight twinge of the troubling knee at 13 miles but a stop and a stretch and finished OK.

Felt the lactate build up from 18 miles...two questions left for me - will the knee hold up OK and can I keep the pace up over the last 6.2 miles...
  • Some stratospeheric mileage going on this weekend. 17-20 miles still seems unatainable to me until I get there. yesterday I just did 5m at marathon pace and didn't find it simple as end of the week, I could probably have gone a lot further, though not 15 miles further like some of you guys.

fit?me!!haha - Welcome to the thread. Plenty of ideas going on but I'd say more perspiration than inspiration. Posting and reading on here does have a positive efffect on motivation though. For me anyway.

From what I read around I think preparing for the last 6.2 miles is like black magic. You'll be exhausted but you'll probably have enough to keep going even if you've done a few 20+ mile practises. The battle is to mentally keep going.

I'm doing a slow 11.5 tommorow. I expect it to be a challenge as despite the short distance its all undulations. I kind of figure that say a 20m training run on a difficult course would be worth more distance over the flats of the FLM. Therefore I'm running nearly everything up and down hills. I have re-evaluated my practise race strategy to now include 16m late feb and 20m mid march rather than the half marathon the RW schedule suggests. So i'm forcing myself to be upto distance by then. I'm still doing a 10k race two weeks before marathon which I hope to give my all. And a PB would be a positive to carry into tapering weeks.

lata
    Euph

• Just picked up on this thread

Valuxian/Everyone

My history looks similar to yours Nottingham marathon 3:51:20 (the 20 was important) and Worksop half 1:39:15. I considered the sub 3:30 group for about two weeks after Christmas, then reality clicked in and the thought of doing 8's for 3 and a half hours! No.

Looking at the pace charts I think 8:20 (3:38:29) to 8:25 (3:40:40) is possible for me.

Did 16 miles in 2:15 this weekend (8:26). OK I'm obsessed with figures.

How's the training going?

RunningMan59
  • Lots of good long runs going on here. I did the Longleat 10k this weekend, so have missed this week's long run. I managed approx 46:30 (not exactly sure as I managed to delete the time and splits from my stopwatch).
    Back to long runs again next weekend...
  • There's some brilliant mileage going on out there!

I knew I wasn't going to fit in a long run this weekend so I swapped last week with this and planned on doing a fast 10K on the treadmill on Sunday. In the end I couldn't face the boredom so decided to try Yasso 800's - never tried them before. Managed 9 sets at 3.25 and then sprinted the tenth one and did it in 3.00.

Not sure how accurately this really maps to marathon time, as I do not expected to be doing under 3.30! I think it is more reflective of the fact that interval training at this sort of pace and distance is something I've incorporated into training before so it doesn't feel strange. Actually if I do the Yasso's again I'll need to increase the pace to make it a challenge - but some of this can be attributed to doing it on a treadmill which is easier than a track I think.

PPB - you're also already under 3.30 for your Yasso's - how do you think this is going to map to your marathon time?

Moggie
  • Hi just picked up on the thread some great comments. I managed 16miles in 2hrs 20 yesturday with the last 4mile splits getting quicker so very pleased. I use a timex speed and distance gps which i bought on ebay brand new from america for just over 100 pound a year ago at the time half price of the same product in the uk. So if you are looking for a bargain gps or hrm have a look on Ebay. Any one doing the Bury St Edmunds 20 on feb 27?
    Good luck eveyone.
    Dean
  • Hi Guys

Lots of news, talk and training happening here. All sorts of runs from 5 to 20 miles, however, I'm still on the bike and in the pool, so still not running at the moment. Don't think I've done anywhere near 20 miles ever, this early in marathon training, my 23 milers are usually 3 weeks before the race. I would probably be around 15/16 miles at the moment (if I were running), but I guess everyone is different.

Yasoo's, now they are a killer and tend to end up bursting your lungs. I normally have to train with the men on the track doing these and don't get much recovery (they don't take much either), usually only 1 min between sets if we are lucky - then I'm dead by the end of it!

Big Luds, apologies for not replying sooner, but this weekend was always going to be a nightmare for me, as I had a very tight schedule with other things happening. Added to this, I am still not able to run, but hopefully this will change soon. I have my bone scan tomorrow and start some remedial running on Wednesday, so will see how it progresses. Will let you know where I am at next weekend.

I think I read on the runners world site somewhere that they aren't doing a 3.45 pace group on FLM this year, which is a downer. Instead they seem to have opted for 3.30 or 4 hours, with nothing in between. They did have a 3.45 pacer last year, as we followed him for about 5 miles, then he was some way behind and I never saw him come past me for the rest of the race and I finished just outside 3.45, so I wonder if he ever made it to the finish on time.

I am now really itching to get my running feet back on. Although I've enjoyed my time on the bike and in the pool for a change, there is no substitute and I'm starting to feel impatient. I hope my leg reacts well this week, so I can keep building on the running. FLM still looks seriously in doubt though, so will tentatively put that to the back of my mind and concentrate on not over-doing it to start with.

Cheers
    Sarah :0)
  • Hi again
    GPS systems (of some make/model ...) are definitely the way forward as there's no lying about how far or fast you've gone and a great excuse for spending money on a gadget!
    Really impressed with the distances you guys are covering - guess you've got a few marathons under your belt already?
    I'm starting to get really nervous now as being a marathon virgin i've been following the long run distances in the sub4 hour training plan, which are not up to your level. Anyone got any tips on whether i should stick with the slow progression in miles and hope it all works out ok in the end? I'm fine with running at a reasonable pace, but the endurance thing is the land of the unknown to me (maximum run so far is 13 miles) ...and the one that scares me the most! :)
  • MsFit
    I'd suggest you take the focus off the mileage for your long runs and focus on time. Not sure how long it took you to run 13 miles, but from what you say I reckon you should be looking at around 2h10m. If your're doing it in well under 2 hours, then I'd say your running it too fast. Next week, try and add on another 5/10 minutes. In three or four weeks you'll easily be up to 15/16 miles without realising it. I'd also suggest you find a nice flat course and, if your GPS unit has a heart rate monitor, let heart rate be your guide - keep it low!

This is what I've been doing the last few months and it's worked fine for me.

I'm also a marathon virgin - I ran 17 miles on Saturday and that is the furthest I've ever run in my life. I know I'm a few miles ahead of the long runs on the 3:45 schedule, but it's just so tempting to try and push yourself that little bit further! That being said, I think I'm going to cut back to the schedule next week and let that dictate my build up over the next few weeks.

Stick with it, you'll get there!
  • thanks tallguy and well done on the 17 miler - dead impressive when someone at work asks what you did over the weekend!!

13 miles took me an hour 50 but 4 days to recover from aches last week, so think slowing down slightly is good advice as it meant i only ran once during the week. Haven't got on brilliantly with heart rate monitors as my heart rate often goes over 200 on shorter runs and as i could still have a conversation with someone so i can't believe that's even my maximum. Hence makes it tricky to work out what i should be running at.

How long did the 17 miles take out of interest as a local running club has one scheduled in a few weeks that i may do if someone will run at a reasonable pace but i need to let them know?

• Too many meeting s and things going wrong at work today for me to post much.

Sarah G - I saw the Runners World 3:45 pacer come by me at about 21-22 miles last year and I think you passed me not much more before them. Maybe you stayed just ahead of them. I know we were throught the start line at the same time as the pacer as I stayed with them for the first mile before I decided they were going too slow and pushed on myself.

Moggie - I'm quite fast at Yasso's and too be honest it doesn't compare at all to my marathon pace as I can't sustain pace in a marathon. I just enjoy the challenge of Yasso's from time to time. I'll probably aim for 10 sets of 800m inside 3:20 next time I try them, it hurts but it's a satisfying pain.

MsFit - A lot of us on here are sub-4 runners already as we're just targetting that little bit more. Tallguy has it spot on. Just keep those runs long and slow I sometimes try and get a friend to join me for the second half of a long run so that I have someone to talk to when I'm getting knackered. I find this really helps.

Tallguy - I'm a qualified football referee and I do Juvenile (13's - 19's) matches on Saturday and Sunday. They can be a bit of a struggle on Saturday afternoon if Saturday morning has been a long run day. I'm planning on taking next Friday morning off work as I'll never be able to ref on Saturday if I do my planned long run of 18 miles.

PPB.
  • Sarah - you must have been so annoyed to get just outside 3.45 last year - would this have given you a GFA? I think I'd rather miss completely than miss by a few seconds. The again maybe not...

Hope you get back to running soon even if you can't make FLM, sounds like we're aiming for the same result.

MsFit - I agree - slow down a bit on the long runs! I think it's important to get in the weekday mileage aswell as the long slow weekenders. This has been the biggest change to my running pattern (my previous longest was also 13 miles) and already the long runs are seeming less daunting. Perhaps I won't be saying that after the planned 18 miles next weekend though!

Moggie
  • Thanks PPB & Moggie. I'll definitely try and slow down next weekend as since I started to do "long runs" at the weekend I've had too many aches and been too tired to do much during the week.

A more general question? How are you all planning to pace yourself this year? Can you use GPS systems on the run, or do they not work as there are so many runners that may have the same make?
  • MSFit - The GPS doesn't suffer from interference like HRMs do because it's simply picking up signals from satellites. The problem with running in a crowd with the same HRMs is that the watch can pick up the signal from someone else's chest strap. However, if the field of runners is very dense it may be a problem for the signal to get through all the bodies - it needs to be able to see clear sky. Then again, at the start of the race it's pretty irrelevant what pace you are running since with that many people there is probably little choice. As soon as it thins a bit then the GPS should work. It can also get blocked by high rise buildings - not sure if this will be a problem on the route or not as I've never done it!

Not sure whether I will take it though, might be too distracting. I'll probably give it a go on a 20-mile race in March and then decide.

Mogs
  • Moggie.. I was looking at the heartatemonitor.co.uk web site earlier last week (looking at Garmin 301's ;). They they have a disclaimer on the checkout saying that if you live in a major city, with high rise buildings, they can't guarantee the GPS functions will work correctly. I always thought the RW pacers used Timex Body Link watches - maybe the web site is just being over cautious.

MsFit.. 13 miles in 1h50m! That's virtually a half marathon - only five minutes off the pace that the schedule is asking for in a couple of weeks. You are obviously OK with the speed work! The 17 miles last Saturday took me around 2h35m.
  • Isn't the point of the long runs to do them at a slow pace?

I did 14 miles today at a deliberately slow, and resonably comfortable 9min/mile pace. All this talk of doing long runs at marathon pace might be putting some people off - it does me! I'll save that sort of pace for the day.

• I agree Valuxian, there's a good reason why experianced runners who compile schedules for us amateurs suggest most long runs should be dead slow at least until we can be on our feet for three hours. However if runners are already upto 20 mile long runs at this early point in the schedule then I suppose a few faster paced efforts can't hurt too much to get used to the pace, just don't burn out!

Just did my 11.5 miles route which I haven't ran for ages. Keeping to a deliberately slow pace I actually recorded my slowest time on that route. I think when I ran it nearly 10mins faster last year in prep for shorter races I was doing too much. Seems my 11.5m was one of the shorter long runs this week, but I'm not going to push myself too far, too soon.

Seems to be new people posting every day, can't keep track, so hello all.

Euph
  • Well done everyone, whatever the distance or time.

Did a longer run tonight and managed to slow my pace down to. I find it harder to run slower, but I agree that it is more about building up endurance at the moment. I have burnt out at 10-11 miles in half marathons by setting off too fast.

DE - I never got back to you from an earlier post I made when I was suffering 'hot knees', I did cut down the mileage as you suggested and now I'm covering longer distances with no side effects.
    I think this proves that each person has to be slightly flexible to follow their own schedule rather than stick strictly to a 'Formal One'.

Most of all, I want to enjoy the running, and not find it an unpleasant prospect.

Keep it up everyone, well done.
  • 2 101!!!

Had to do it!!!!!!!