Fat Club Monday 23/9/02

Dozy bunch this morning, aren't you? Go on - tell me you're all doing morning runs.

Stood on scales this morning. Up a pound from last week. Not surprised after last night's curry and trimmings (home-made, low-fat version, but a lot of it) and Jelly Belly-fest while doing grotty paperwork. So not resigning from the Fat Club yet.

Got into work this morning full of resolve and with lots of healthy food in my bag, had breakfast interrupted repeatedly because the fact that I'm physically present an hour before opening time makes people assume that I'm available, went to put something in my filing cabinet, opened the food drawer by mistake and saw the half-finished box of Celebrations. Feel better knowing that there's chocolate there if I need it.

Must go - time to start working officially.

Comments

• Morning All!
    Glenn - where are you? How did you get on at the weekend?

I had a fab weekend, I did my normal 3.8 miler on Saturday, with no ill-effects from my foot, then did 10K yesterday! The plan was to do the 3.8 again, but I felt so good I carried on and suddenly Mr said 'If we go down here and up there, its 10K'! I think the shower of rain helped as it cooled me down, but at least I know now I can do it. Pigged out on a huge roast as a reward, but it was mainly veg, so thats not too bad at all.

Happy Monday!
  • Oh, V-rap, forgot to mention the cats! How are they? We rescued two cats back in June, Georgie and Molly - they are lovely - tabby and white, and tabby respectively, but totally mad! We really wanted a dog but as we both work full time there was no way that was a possibility, but now we have the cats we wouldn;t be without them. Have fun trying to keep them in - ours were like something out of the Great EScape until they were allowed out, looking for any opportunity to slip through our legs out the back door, then when they were allowed out, they weren't really that bothered!
  • I did one of the cats an injustice this morning.

We'd shut Tizzy out of all the bedrooms because he was being a pain in the neck, going from one bed to another and wriggling and purring and generally being very sweet but disruptive. I woke up in the early hours convinced that the house was shaking. Took a few moments to wake up, by which time the shaking had stopped. "Wretched mog trying to batter the door down," I thought.

When I put on the car radio on the way to work and heard that there had been an earth tremor with its epicentre not a million miles from here, my conscience twinged a little.
  • GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone - I've just been catching up on the threads. Don't go on line much at the weekends.

The race yesterday was fine, I managed 15 mins dead for the 1.8 miles. For me that's not bad from a cold start - there wasn't really much room to warm up. It's certainly the fastest I've managed to shift my butt since coming back to running this year.

Far more spectacular was the performance of my better half in her first ever race. She ran for the first time in her life in January and has only trained regularly since the end of July, but she managed to run the second leg (it was a six person relay) in 16.30. She couldn't speak for five minutes afterwards but the great thing was she had really given it absolutely everything, even more than the smarty pants university Hare and Hounds lot who managed to run all six legs in 52 mins.

EP, congrats on the long run - it sounds like it's really coming together for you now.

V-rap, your modesty is touching. 54 mins for that 10k is brilliant - Aldridge, wasn't it? Back in the mid 1990s I ran for three seasons on the West Midlands circuit but always avoided that race because the Aldridge club were such frightening people. Did you find someone to talk to on the run? - I saw some of your earlier postings on the subject.
  • Hey all,

Had a particularly boozy weekend (not really like me at all) and ate lots of things that I shouldn't have.

But on the plus side, I ran my usual 10k route yesterday with my mate (the Royal Marine) - we finished it in 43 minutes - can't believe how exhausted we were... fasted time yet.
  • Glenn - thats great - and congrats to Mrs Glenn too - thats some going! Sounds like it was a good weekend all round!

V-Rap - whats this about 10K in 54 mins? You kept that quiet - well done - I think you deserve at least one of the Choccies from the filing cabinet as a little reward.
  • Well done, Glenn. And Mrs Glenn. And Gordon. Impressive running!

Glenn, the Aldridge people were still scary and the Royal Sutton folk decided to play by local rules. Nobody would talk to me before or during the race (although it did occur to me that maybe you're not supposed to race at conversational pace and I'm just showing my ignorance), but I had a chat with some nice friendly slow charity-runner types afterwards. I did enjoy the course, though. Even better, came home to a message from my sister, with whom I'm doing the GNR, and her current 13-mile time is almost identical to mine. And she and I don't often run out of things to say.

Stumpy, ONE choccie? After 10K? That's what I call restraint. Actually, I had an apple, a (small) muffin and half a malt loaf (torn, not cut) afterwards and will have the chocs after my recovery run today. If i do 5 miles, that's 400 calories, which is...BETH! Where are you! How many calories in Celebrations?
  • GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    Yes V-rap, what's your target for the Great North Run now? You must be aiming at sub 2 hours surely?
  • I didn't really keep it very quiet. I posted it rather loudly on the Events board with my race report and, I think, on the "What I did today" thread on Training. You obviously get out too much! But I was delighted with the time - hadn't expected to crack 60 minutes.
  • ROFL, Glenn. I'll be happy to amble round with my sister and/or the RW 2:30 pacing group to get the feel of racing the distance, and maybe try Cheddar in November to upgrade my time. Having said that, if there was a 2-hour pacing group I might be tempted to join it. 1:45 would be way too fast.

When I applied last year, I'd just started to get to grips with running but assumed I'd train smoothly with no injuries and no other breaks, and put down 1:55 on the form.

Perish the thought! No, I'll settle for having a good day out and not finishing on the sweeper-van.
  • Beans on toast for lunch today I think... with lots of chilli and melted cheese of course!!!
  • That's a bit strange that there is a 1:45 group and a 2:30 group. That's a big gap in times
  • V-rap --- thanks for the nod about the weight. I know I shouldn't worry about it, just it doesn't help with feeling better when you're bloated and feel huger in the space of a couple of days -- even when you're eating nothing of substance! I managed a bit better yesterday - I had managed 3 smoothie drinks and baked chicken with tinned tomatoes (don't ask - all I felt like) at lunch I ate salad and chopped ham - so not so bad. I've decided that as long as I can eat enough when I'm up to it then that's what I'll do and any time I can't eat - as long as I can drink that's what I'll do.

I'm not feeling quite so rough today and I've a feeling it's because I've stopped the granisetron and steroids (only had to take them for 3 days) and hopefully the side effects were contributing to my feeling yukky.
  • hello all! finally managed to gain access to a computer now all the unpacking is done. freshers week this week so is all rather hectic as we try to organise everything to keep them occupied and out of too much illegal trouble, and get them all to join our society. also have a punch party and a housewarming do to plan for next week sometime. oof. then lectures begin next mon too, so should all calm down a bit then.
    sad to say that as a result of moving mayhem and still not having shaken off my cold i havent done any exercise since my last posting over a week ago! (thanks for the carbs info v-rap. v useful!) walked into uni today and nearly died through exersion. but am nearly well again, so am going to cycle along the coast a bit this sfternoon, and then ruin it all by going for an indian with eveybody as a good-to-be-back night out. start of the new academic year is never good diet wise. but hopefully all the freemeals will end in about a fortnight, and i can start realy working hard. have managed to put on 2kg tis week! no!!!!!!!!!! so am now 2kg heavier than my original startign weight. was doing ok and lost 1.5, but now have regained it all and then some. so disheartening.
    actually, it's such a gorgeous day that i think i'm going to go home now and put my kit on, and run along the coast in an effort to regain some of my lost fitness, and lose some of my regained weight.
    i'll never get to 10 stone at this rate. only nearly 7 stone to lose. :-(
    sorry to be such a moaning minnie my first post back, but just feel all depressed bu hidiousness of self and number on scales, and fact that now do not fit in favourite jeans.
    you must all feel doubly proud that you're continuing wirth your running and achieveing things! well done to al who have decreased this week, and keep up the good work.
    see you soon,
    Pamela
  • Hi everyone, bit late today as just had one thing after another. Managed 2 miles again this morning, so pretty pleased with myself. But doesn't running make you hungry??!! And I only really like naughty food. Perhaps I'm meant to be eleven and a half stone. Maybe it suits me............. sigh...........
  • hey pamela, dont worry
    just keep going, little by little
    Dont think about 7 stone, too daunting, take it half a stone at a time
    Once youre settled into a routine it WILL get easier
    Keep posting!
  • They are bstds at work!!
    Time to put KY on their telephones
    Keep up the good work
  • trying to believe that i can do that distance in less than 2 weeks
    Hmmm
  • EP, you will. Keep going as you are - even if you forget about the entire diet thing and just concentrate on increasing your running, you'll be well ready for a half in March.

Benz, you KNOW you can. It's only a few weeks since you managed TWICE that distance. And you've got to be there at the end of the race because that pint of gin will be in my kit-bag.

Employers...I'm saying nowt because I am one in a small-scale way. If I caught my secretary playing around on the internet when she had work to do, warnings would be issued. But if your work is done and the internet access is there, what's the beef?
  • Vrap, this time id like to at least jog and not walk