NIKE RUN LONDON 10K

Well done all who took place today.

My time was just over 57 minutes. I only started running approximately 4 weeks ago and am so proud of myself. However just taking part in this wonderful event was the best part for me.

How did you do??

Sammy :0)

Comments

• Wow! I can't believe you have only been running 4 weeks! I did it in 1:07 which I was pleased with - especially as I've never really run up hills before. But it was a bit of a fiasco, I nearly gave up when I was stuck in the queue at Richmond station for an hour an a half. But I'm pleased I didn't. Perhaps I'll cycle there next year....!
  • Good work Sammy and Vic, excellent results all round (especially when you've only been running a month Sammy).

I'm extremely happy with my run. I was hoping to go under 45, but really didn't think I'd manage that with the hills and the fact that I hurt my calf pretty badly on Thursday. But in the end I had a great run and finished in 43:26! Still very chuffed with myself :-) I'm now starting to dream on going sub 42 on a flat (methinks that's a good way off yet).

Oh, and congrats to Paula Radcliffe on breaking the British 10k record. Beat Liz McColgan's record of some 15 years standing apparently... very impressive given the hills.

Any other success stories from forumites?

venom
  • Thanks VicB and Venom for those kind words and well done.

I knew there was gonna be one or two hills to get through but it seemed that hills dominated the first 6km of the race.

This race has given me the racers bug and I am already thinking about my next race which will be a 10 miler.

Anyway I have been grinning non-stop today and my medal will be placed in a glass cabinet on my wall to mark my very first race.

Any other success stories, please share.

PS. Hopefully this time next year I will give you a run for your money (ha, ha)

• Thanks VicB and Venom for those kind words and well done.

I knew there was gonna be one or two hills to get through but it seemed that hills dominated the first 6km of the race.

This race has given me the racers bug and I am already thinking about my next race which will be a 10 miler.

Anyway I have been grinning non-stop today and my medal will be placed in a glass cabinet on my wall to mark my very first race.

Any other success stories, please share.

PS. Venom hopefully this time next year I will give you a run for your money (ha, ha)

• It's a shame about the shuttle bus chaos. What Nike should have told people was that once arriving at Richmond they can take a train to Mortlake which leaves you with a short walk to the Park (5-7 mins). Oh and the train ride took approx. 4 mins. Naughty Nike not telling that to everyone!!

I could'nt believe it when we arrived at Richmond and saw everyone leaving the station. There was only my friends and two others on the train to Mortlake.

Perhaps if people had of known that the race could of started on time?

Anyway still managed to have a good day despite not feeling 100%.
  • Well done everyone who did the Nike 10k, I did it in 44 mins., and as I crossed the finishing line noticed that the 'beginners' had left 8 mins. ago, so as my g/f was running in the beginners I trotted to the stat and did it all over again. Managed to catch her at 7km and did a 55 mins for the 2nd 10k.
  • Ran for the first time today (1:07). A bit disappointed about not running sub 1 hour, but just finishing gave me a great buzz. That hill at 6km was a killer!
  • Managed 1:04 in my first 10K so really pleased considering I've missed the last two weeks training through injury. Didn't think much of the pram pushers ahead of the runners on the first hill or the lack of water at the first station!
    That hill at 6K was a killer
    Well done everybody that ran.
  • Just added my time on the other thread, but as I am so chuffed I will tell you again! I managed to finish in 45:34, 3 mins off my previous PB and 7 mins off last years time!!
  • 47'03" and well pleased. Nearly six mins off the Crawley 10K time from last year - my only other attempt. Well Done Spans and venom - excellent times! Sub 1 hour is excellent after only four weeks Sammy!

• Hmmm, bit disappointed with the whole thing really. It wasn't really very clear what was going on - and the late start was very tedious. Final time 49:44, it was a bit too crowded to maintain a comfortable pace.
  • I compleated the Nike 10k in 47 Minutes not bad considering I ran the Great Scottish Half Marathan 2 weeks ago quite a strong track at Richmond Park.
  • 1hr 5mins - I was very cold after waiting 40 mins at the start line and my legs were like lead for the first 2km - I flew thru the last 3km but sadly it wasnt enough to get me in under an hour
  • Was anyonelse really spurred on by the kids at that killer hill shouting 'Kill The Hill! Kill The Hill!' - Bless them. That really kept my spirits up!
  • Well done all those who ran.I tried watching on TV (paper said highlights from 12.30) but it was bloomin' tennis and rowing all afternoon , so never did see it.
  • I was spurred on by the water station kids shouting 'Ave it and then proceeding to squirt runners and each other with water!
  • Congratulations to all who took part in the NIke 10k. What a diabolical start to a race that should have been fun. By the start (due to the waiting and transport debacle, I was bored stiff but I was encouraged by everyone's cheerful mood.

At the end of the race, I was dissappointed with the so-called medal, very unimaginative andlumpy(a goody bag would have been better - I could give to my son).

By the way, my time was 47minutes (not bad, considering the number of people I have to struggle thru'.

PS: IS there any Christian runner living around Bedfordshire who might be interested in organising runs on Saturday as I don't like missing church.

• Did anybody start at the front end of the first group of intermediates? I was just curious to see if anybody actually caught up with any elite runners???
  • Well done everybody - Sammy - you must be walking on air today! Must say, it was the first Monday in many a moon that I have had something to smile about on my way to work! It was my first 10k and I did it in 1:05:21. I also met up with one of the guys from the Training Runs in Hyde Park for the last two k's and he kept us (Penny & Belinda) going - If you read this Ben - a huge thank you for coming back for us and all the encouragement you gave.

Am now looking for some more races to do before Christmas -am going to start doing the Tuesday runs from Nike Town from now on. Must say, I slept very well last night!
  • Stevo

I started in the first intermediate wave with my mates, even though i had an advanced number. Naughty I know! Anyway, I didn't catch any of the elite runners - they were going a bit too quickly, but I did pass hundreds of people who had started in the advanced 'party'. Some were walking pretty early too. I'm not going to complain. It was a great way to run, I was passing people all the way round, which was a great ego boost!!! Despite the transport problems, i thought the course was tops, and the atmosphere was superb. Well done to everybody who took part.
  • You would have been near to me then - penned back by a geezer with a tidal wave ginger hair-do. I also saw Sarah Lancashire on the way around - she was spectating. Anybody see any other famous people?
  • I finished in 53.01, not a PB but was really pleased as I had been out of action for seven days with flu and the course was also quite tough. Congratulations to everyone that completed the course, it was a great day.
  • I was planning to go with the first intermediate group.

But as I watched the 'elite' start there
    were a largish number of red and even green
    ticks - so as I had been waiting an hour I
    jumped in at the end and got started. (good
    marshalling eh!)

Some people were walking up the hill before
    the 1K marker and more before the 2K!

I was passing people all the time with a
    fairly steady 5:00 to 5:15 per K (apart
    from that kill/hill in K6!).

I came in at 52:15 (lost about 1 min in K6) - but in the last K or so I was being
    passed by what must have been the lead of
    the second wave.

• 1hr 4mins which is 3 minutes off my pb (from my one and only other 10k) and I'm really pleased with it. Didn't have too many problems with transport but had to wait nearly an hour afterwards to collect my bag!

Saw a lot of people who took off really quickly but then got caught on the hills.

Definitely going to do it again next year and hope next time Nike will think about when it opens up applications (and the colour of the T-shirt). Wanted to get a team together from my kids' school but they announced in on the first week of the summer holidays and I couldn't get hold of anyone.

• 52 mins and 38 seconds for my first 10k, which I was quite pleased with.

Thought the race course was excellent, as it was very challenging.

Great morning out, thououghly enjoyed it and will be entering next year.

Funniest part of the day was pointing out to one of the Nike protestors, that they were wearing Nike trainers, and a Nike Hat, to which they had no answer.
  • Claire - are you the girl from Notting Hill that I was chatting to on the way to the race from Barnes Station? Thats a good time considering your illness - well done!
  • Will Nike be issing a list of results so you can see where you came in the race - I appreciate it was staggered but woould still be interested.

Also - can anybody get the Photo finish on the website to work I think I need to download software - not sure what to do??? Can anybody help please???
  • Sorry

Here is the URL for those who do not have it

http://www.runlondon.com
  • Stevo,
    I'm afraid not, must be another Claire. I came from Wimbledon and thankfully didn't have any problems getting to the Nike run.
  • Enjoyed a great day at Richmond Park. Finished the race in 1:01 which is 3 mins off my last 10km (flat course) - so I was pleased with my result. Ran Robin Hood Half last Sunday 15/09 - so my legs were still somewhat sluggish.
    I group hopped from the first batch of intermediate to elite (cheeky I know) but thought I would have less chance of tripping over heels because they would bound off ahead of me, and so they did.
    Will certainly do that again, despite the hill at 6kms!!
    F