A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Good evening all

Usual distance and some speed as well I see, 50-min 10k (PeterB2) and a very fast 5m (One-go). Don't think I could go that fast for that long and if I could I wouldn't be able to do a long distance run the next day.

Just did 'brisk' run at 8 min/mile pace which was hard as no spring left in my legs this week. Which is worrying as have only done 30 miles. My limited running schedule post xmas is making this more difficult than I'd hoped. Only about a 10% mileage increase next week though so that should be managable.

Brisk shouldn't really be painful should it, but does anybody else find that at a certain point in there week even the easiest runs are difficult and induce worrying signs of possible injuries. For me this is saturday, the last day of the RW mid-week schedule for me. After a day and a half off though I'll be back up-and-at-em for long slow on monday.

My cat followed me for half a mile today, maybe cats are closet runners too. I reckon thats what they're upto as soon as they disappear over your fence into next doors garden.

lata
  • Tallguy, thanks for the info and well done on the hills. If i survive the marathon and am still running next year i may do the TunWells half then - more chance of persuading friends to join me too :)

I've been sporty most of my life and never been really terrible at any sport ...other than swimming! Absolute tops, I can do 2 lengths of what can only be described as doggy paddle and if i stop splashing i sink! Most of my friends are non-sporty, but all of them are better swimmers than me and most can go on for lengths and make it look effortless. Based on this and what you're all saying I don't think running and swimming necessarily go together ... guess that's why triathlons must be such a challenge though - good luck!

Off for an early night as recovering from a late one yesterday and need to be full of energy for long run tomorrow.

Happy running all!
  • Yes I agree DE re the easy runs becoming difficult after a few days of hard activity.

I'm starting to back off if things get tough on the basis that my body is telling me not to push it. On the other hand maybe I'm being too cautious - you have to push yourself to make progress...

Certainly the long run today was quite tough at the end, after my speed session on Friday. In fact I stopped a couple of miles early thinking I mustn't overdo it - was that right? I don't know anymore!
  • Hmmm, i think guiness would help my recovery right now. Don't expect any early posts from Drunken on sunday.

lata all
  • Just got up to do my long run to fins that it is blowing a gale there is a snow shower going on. I've decided to go and try and do my 18 miler regardless. This may be a sign that I'm committed to my running, though more likely a sign that I should be committed.

I agree about the easy runs. Sometimes I just feel lethargic ragadless of how easy the run is meant to be. Thankfully there is a flipside and on other days I can feel wonderful and absolutely float round a run.

One-Go - Don't berate yourself. Better to stop ina run if you feel rotten than push too much and end up injured or just fed up. Fast & Long on successive days is a difficult combination.
  • I think I've developed a bit of ITB in my left knee following my 13 miler on Saturday. What's weird though was that the discomfort didn't set in till the evening - is that usual?! Definitely a different sensation to the twinges I used to get in my right knee (which I thought was ITB too!). I think it might have been the 4 miles of down hill that set it off. Think I'll swap the easy 4.0 today for a hour or so on the bike.
  • Welcome back, the sub 3.45 marathon training injury thread.

Probably not too helpful but I've found That when you build up distance you just have to evaluate the various aches and pains, and do your best to prevent them getting worse. Most of the time you can get over things with a days rest, careful stretching and self-treatment.

The ITB like pain is one that can not be apparent after running but can then be irritating as hell later in the day. As it gets worse it will appear during runs. I have found that its hard to describe it. For me, and I'm feeling it a bit today, its like tiny stabbing pains rather than a constant ache.

I though I was rid of ITBS after a clear week or two but symptoms are they're again. I've probably eased up on the RICE too much.

One-go - Stopping before things are too uncomfortable is a good thing. Deep down you can usually tell when you've done too much and when your just lacking a bit of motivation to do the extra few miles but can do them safely.

I've read threads before where people have set stratospheric marathon goals like first marathon in 3hrs and then run 6 days a week to build the speed and endurance they need. Then they get tired, but keep to the schedule and end up injured and missing the marathon. It'll be interesting to see how James Cracknell gets on with his target of a sub 3-hr marathon debut. I understand he's probably a lot fitter than me and probably has the genetics to run 3.45 at will. But without very carefully planned training you will overtrain. At his height and build I don't suppose he'll go much faster than 3hrs though.

Euph
  • Afternoon all!

Weather at 9am was a hail storm in gales, but by the time the race started it was sunny, but still very blowy in places.
    Completed Wokingham Half this morning and achieved a PB, running near 7.30min/mile.

Bramley 20m next weekend, where I have to be more disciplined and stick to a 8 to 9min pace. I know I couldn't have done many more miles today at that pace!!!

I hope everyone has had a good day, with those not running getting over the injuries and illnesses.
    Hope you all have a good week.
  • Good afternoon. JUst did the Stamford 30K in 2h35mins. The last 7k were tough but not agony and it's a hilly course. In my schedule I've got a couple of 20milers (one race one not) to go before FLM. I'm a bit worried that at this rate the maximum length of time I'm going to be running is going to be nearly an hour short of what I'll need to run at the FLM. Is this a problem?
    Also - these gel things - how many of these should I be getting down my neck and at what point?
    Thanks all, any advice appreciated.
  • Arf - Well done on your run today.
    I know what you mean trying to picture spending that extra 1-2 hours out on a run, but I'm sure with a combination of training, team spirit and supporters we will all do well.
    I've only ever tried a gel once and didn't get on!!!
    The only thing I'd say with the gels/squeezys is to make sure you take enough water with them,
  • Hi all
    On consolation to those with injuries - the weather was wild this morning, so if you have to miss out due to injury, it has to be better to stay in bed on a day like today!

I've learnt a valuable lesson today. Overslept, so didn't have time for my normal porridge breakfast so instead ate 4 slices of peanut butter on toast before heading to join in a run with TunWells harriers. Ended up spending the last half in serious pain with an upset stomach and even had to dive into a village hall at one point to use the toilet ... the moral of the story is definitely to try out breakfasts/gels/drinks etc well before the marathon.

Whilst today was the worst run i've ever had and the longest 15 miles i could imagine, I'm very glad it happened today rather than on 17th April as i'd be gutted!
  • Thanks for the encouragement all - I'm sure you're right re being wise to stop...in fact I have a couple of minor twinges today which reinforces my decision to bale out early!

Always tricky to make judgements on what is pushing it in a good way, versus overdoing it, when it's your first (and only) go at this lark...

In terms of the gels Arf - I've tried them once, found they're ok and don't plan to use them again until the day on the basis that I am trying to train my body to burn fat on my long runs and if I keep on pumping in carbohydrate it will never learn!

Onward and up for another week...
  • Congratulations on all the fast times.

Interesting idea reagrding training body to burn fat,One-go. Must admit that since going over 10 miles I've been carrying a carb drink with me. Does anybody else take out enery gels/drinks for their longer runs? I think the energy drink helps me a little for any run over 1hr30, I tend to sip every 40mins or so.

On long slow run day though I never stop eating it seems. For a day with a 3 hour run (which will be soon) most people are going to burn 4000+ calories total, so taking an energy drink to refuel on the move seems to make sense. I reckon even with the carb drink I'll need to burn some fat on longer runs so I'm going to stick with it.

lazy day, some abs work and 20 lengths swimming. Nice to exercise the arms for a change.
  • DE - I normally just take water and a couple of 'nutrigrain' bars, but I think there are better sources of energy, it is just what my body is used to and can handle.
    without sounding dim, or getting a 'too technical' answer, is there a general rule on calories burnt per mile? or is it purely down to each individuals metabolism?
  • Well Done to everyone who braved the weather for a long run this weekend! I took the 7.30 slot on Saturday which in my part of the country was very windy, rainy, sunny and everything else - it was at least warm unlike today which was freezing. Managed 2.35 for 18 miles which I was very pleased with. But felt useless on my slow 5 today!

MsFit - I lknow exactly how you feel, having a 'held together' stomach feeling happy with its breakfast is one of my biggest worries on FLM day.

As for Gels - I've never tried them previously, but have just started taking them on long runs. Got up to 3 on my 18 mile and they actually seem to go down fine. All I can say is they don't affect me adversely, hard to say if they help. I do know I can't stomach the sports drink - yuk!! The gels also make your hands and clothes very sticky when you are trying to put the empties away without harming the environment.

I did feel like a real pro squirting one down my mouth whilst running (well trotting slowly - actually I was walking) down the road and felt like giving the watching crowds a regal wave as they looked on in amazement (or was that bewilderment - who wants to run in this weather?) as they collected their morning papers.

Definitely agree to listen to your body - we all know whether it's our lazy demon or our sensible 'i'm injured' demon taking. There aren't any short cuts to resting a stressed body.

Moggie
  • Woj - I always work on a mile=100 cals. Not technical but gives you some idea of what to work at. Probably even more cals per mile for most people as I think that is based on somebody who is 9 stone. Check this
    site.
  • Thanks, I'll check that tomorrow [too many beers!]
  • hi all

have to admit I bottled out at 11.5 miles on the saturday long run. Running with 3 mates and feeling fine but on the 7th lap of the reservoir the heavens opened and trying to run into horizontal freezing rain was too much pain, when we got to the end of the lap we all looked at each other and went ' sod this for a lark' and just run back to my house. Felt pretty easy apart from bitterly cold, did it in just over 1.40 so will try and add a bit on during the week and try again next saturday as i'm starting to feel that i'm getting behind on the long runs.

Must admit I don't normally do a fairly fast 10k followed by a long run, it's just one of the problems in running with someone a lot better than you, you don't always realise how fast you're going, apart from the pain that is.

I always run with an isotonic drink, even on the shorter runs when it's not realy needed, I think it's a bit of a comfort blanket, I think I'm gonna run out of energy if i haven't got it. I also tend to use SIS energy gels on my long runs, I like the tropical fruit and orange flavours the best although on the FLM I've found by about 18-20 miles all my stomach seems to be able to take is water. Not sure if that's just due to the adrenaline on the day or that fact that I'm starting to hurt by then. I would definitly recommend trying them out well before hand, as MsFit shows, you don't want to be queing for portaloos with 1,000's of other on the day !!

Tallguy, just being able to plod along for hours in the pool would be heaven to me, it's not the speed that bothers me, it's just the fact that i'm already knxckered when i get on my bike that's the problem

Will be trying a bit of a speed sesh today ,as long as it's not horizontal rain again, not that I'm a wimp of course .

have a good day all

cheers

pete
  • Well done to everyone that braved the weather. I completed my snow, rain and wind swept 18 miles in 2 Hour 44. Not very fast but if you'd seen the conditions you would have understood why.

I ate a gel for the first time in my run yesterday. I found it tricky to use on the move so I just stopped for two minutes to consume it and have a little drink as well. I always carry some orange juice when doing my long runs. In London they give out Lucozade Sport so it may be an idea to practice doing your long runs with this if you are wanting to get used to the on the day experience. I don't think any gels are given out, well at least I didn't see any last year.

There is a calorie calculator at:
    Calorie Calculator

PPB.
  • Hi All

Glad to see everyone made it through the weekend with no casualties. Thankfully there are no more injuries for anyone. I get my scan results tomorrow, so that will make the decision for me as far as FLM is concerned. In the back of my mind, I belive I will have to withdraw anyway, as you guys (and the schedule) are already up to around 18 miles and there seems to be little hope of me playing catch-up that quickly.

Even if it is not a stress fracture, I cannot simply come back and just run 18 miles and I don't think I will have enough time to get the long runs in. Although I run a long distance every week, I wouldn't feel comfortable going over 13 miles until I am certain about my leg.

This would be my 4th FLM, so I have a good idea of what training I need to put in. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this, as regards still trying to run FLM. Some people at my club still think it is very much achievable, but I don't want to miss out on sub-3.45 again. Some have suggested that I will have missed very little, as I've been swimming and cycling so much. At the end of the day, I have to go with what the physio says.

I did 2 hours on my bike on Saturday and came back covered in mud and frozen to the bone by the wind. I have every sympathy for you PPB in the north of Scotland.

Anyone know of any good novice triathlons in the North East, which they can recommend?

Cheers
    Sarah :0)
  • Good luck Sarah, if you get the clear to run then it will be difficult but not impossible. Many long run schedules don't have people running 18 miles yet but obviously a lot of people have had more uninterrupted base mileage training than yourself and are a little ahead with mileage up to 20 miles. I myself am going to run a little under 14m today and thats my longest so far. I'm not too worried.

I think you could probably get around the course if you started running again tommorow but possibly pushing yourself for sub 3.45 might be difficult. So your decision would probably be run it and not achieve your full potential or defer till next year and give it a real good go. Deferring would be hard but in the meantime you could distract yourself by training for shorter runs like 10k, 10m - that way you can build up your mileage slowly and still achieve some notable goals in other distances.

Best of luck to all.
  • hi all

hope it's good news Sarah, on a purely selfish basis i hope you do run it as you can keep me going at least for the first few miles anyway. as long as you don't build up too quick, i should think you will be 0k simply cos of your base fitness and the fact you've kept up the swimming/biking, you never know you may even find it easier by not being overtrained on running.

managed to do a bit of speed training today, 4 sets of just over 1k (about 1.05-1.1) with half k jog inbetween in 4.09-4.26. Not exactly fast but it was a bit windy and i HATE speed sessions, especially on my own. Looking forward to the Algave running camp on 10th of march, hopefully can pick up a bit of extra training then, has anyone been to this camp? I did it a couple of years back and love it.

anyway hope you're all keeping injury free.

cheers

pete
  • Sarah - one thing I've been told by more than one physio is that your body has "memory" of previous fitness/muscles associated with specific sports. This means it should be a lot faster for you to get back to where you want to be than it would be for someone that doesn't have your history. That said, take it easy as you don't want to get yourself injured again!
  • Sweep.. Have a look here for triathlon events near your area..

http://www.britishtriathlon.org/events/calendar.php?type=Triathlon

As I said, keep an eye out for sprint and/or novice events.

Good luck!
  • Hope you feel you can make it Sarah - I need a fellow VICTA runner on this thread!

• Sarah - I do sympathise with your problems, it is so frustrating. However, just to be part of the 25th anniversary race whatever your time will be a great achievement.

I'm a marathon novice and have had bad knee problems and can only run 3 times a week (1 long, 1 steady and 1 speed/hills).

I'm not sure if this is going to be enough but I see a physio after each one of my long runs to 'manage' the injury. I did 15 miles last sat which was my longest yet in about 2 hrs. Apart from top thigh muscles aching - not to bad (considering strong winds etc).

this weekend I'm doing the Woburn 10k, with Reading Half (6th March). Anyone else heard of/doing these races?
  • Run last night was a bit of a nightmare. Ignoring all my own advice and better judgement I decided to continue despite stabbing pains in top of foot from 3 miles. Ran just under 14 miles in just over two hours which is faster than last weeks effort. Don't feel too bad today. Felt awful yesterday though with stabbing pain on each footfall and at moments wanted to stop and take rest of the week off, thought I'd never make it to marathon. Today I'm ready for 3 slow miles and gym session and feeling more confident about FLM again.

Expected that looking at foot afterwards would reveal lots of redness or bruising. All I could actually see was a small red spot, like a sore blister, but under my skin above big toe. Today theres no sign. Wonder if it will return today, my intuition and sense would suggest yes. I figure if I can survive 14m with that pain I could probably get around 26+ with the benefits of the next two months training.

Steve - You can probably do it, make the sessions count. Look at the RW schedules and make long run slightly longer or faster and make the speed/hills intensive and quite long. Injuries crippled my post-schedule mileage build-up to the extent that I was running less than 5m for most sessions. Now I'm upto 30+ miles per week and I'm not too far behind most people on the long run front. Sounds like your going about it the right way with the physio.

Reading half. Thats the one that finishes inside the stadium isn't it? I hear good things about organisation.

I've got most of this week off and lousy weather has made me reluctant to leave house earlier so I had a scan through last years post-marathon entries. I can see that a lot of people have made some genuine progress in mileage and speed (if Yasso's times are anything to go by). You should all be very proud of yourselves.

Sun's out now so gonna wash my car. Already more productive than most holidays which for me usually turn into marathon drinking binges.

Looking at the elite athlete line-ups it looks like an excellent year. My video will be recording for some easy viewing when laid-up on the settee monday 18th April.

lata
  • Hi everyone, Glad to see that everyone's training is going ok. I have been mental at work & haven't had a chance to get near a computer for a while so just spent fifteen minutes catching up with all the gos.

Sarah- hope the news is good, would be nice to see you on the day, wishing you the best.

Sweep, good to see you back out running too.

I am not sure if I can hit 3.45 to be honest, I did 14 on Sunday morning in 2h08m & don't know if I could run much quicker, I suppose I will see how the training pans out & make a decision nearer the time, but I will stick with the schedule as I am quite happy with the distances etc.

Anyway, happy training everyone, speak to you all later.

Nick
  • just a quick note to see if my damm e-mail is working
  • Evening all!!

DE - hope you have recovered well

Rested yesterday [after Half Mar PB on Sunday] but today tried that 'threshold' run.
    Managed about 6m just inside 42mins!
    It went well except the icy air really chilled my insides!!

Hope everyone's week goes well.

Woj