Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Kenny - My brother Terence and myself hope to do the Stranraer half - It should be a good race. Kenny - You'll be hard to beat as always - but it will be great to finish it. My best half marathon time is 1hr 53 mins - so if I get close to that or run under it I will be happy.
  • Boys be good and book your ferry tickets in advance for Stranraer as there is football that day, 02890748748 ref is 1MAR.

Twill be cold and firm on sat in stormont so bring the trainers just in case.

Am lookisn got do another 16/17 on sun myself james, dont step up too quick and dont forget the easy weeks, the RW schedules really worked for me last year and i say if it aint brok dont fix it!!!
  • James there 10 wks to the marathon if its a 16 wk program you should be in wk 6. There is also a training program on the the Belfast site which I am trying to follow for the long runs my milage is a bite light the rest of the week. After Stranaer I may try and run home on a Wednesday night which would give me an extra 11 miles.
    Baldy we have our tickets booked for the ferry. I think there is about 12 going across from the club ( Springwell). Running on Saturday glad to hear it may be firm as I don't go too well in the soft stuff.
    Seamus I am hoping to do 1:50 in Stranaer or quicker depends how rough the crossing his I am told its a good course.
  • James I wouldn't jump from 14 to 20 in one go even if your are running at a slower pace. I would up my long runs by a 1 mile a week 2 miles at the most. Some schedules go up a mile one drop down 2 the next then up 3the next so you build the milage up and have an easier week in between. If you up the milage too quickly that is the time you get injured.
  • Thursday's are normally just a steady run for about 1 hour. We are limited at this time of the year to running in the town but in a couple of weeks when the evening are getting clearer we will be able to head out into the country. Tuesday nights are either hills or speed. Tonight is hills.
  • Mm hills, got that to look forward to on thurs, 12 of em too.

12x400s this morning so enjoying a beer tonight before tomorrows 8/9 steady.

Kenny forecast for here is lots of cold so nothing but firm ground. Spikes may still be preferred cos of the bit round the playground where the ground slips away.

James i am for sub 3 i hope in belfast, as i said the rw programms have really helped me thus far. Am changing though for the autumn, using advanced marathoning schedule, more miles and slightly tougher, but thats for another day.
  • Hi James I've had a look at North Down's site there are some good sites out there. I came across this one which might be of interest http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon.html
    Yes what is your name baldy we can't very well go up to people and ask are you baldyfrombangor we might just cause a row.
  • can tell me, am baldy, oh and english!!

intend to wear forum top on sat and in Belfast.

managed 3.09 last year and 3.00.32 in dublin so the sub 3 is near.
  • Hi James training with James would be OK but I wouldn't go out too often. He's been running for years and is used to training hard. He tends to run for 10 days without a rest. Stephen tried to do it and got injured. Doing a few sessions would be OK.
  • Well Kenny hope you enjoyed yourself, goood to put a proper face to the name.

nice new hill that they included this year, it just took the energy out of your legs when you needed it most on the run in.

Still, good training for next weeks half.

James you missed a good one.
  • Hi everybody - I am looking forward to Stranraer next Saturday it should be a good race - I got the info today - I haven't read it yet. Did 3, 10 miles runs this week and finished off with a long run of 20 miles (50 in total). Will only do 30 miles next week , that's including the half-martaton. The best of luck to you all in your training, Seamus.
  • Managed a steady 16 today, legs a bit achey after yesterdays race though.

Was it me or was it bl@@dy cold today.

The cold bath didnt help, just thawing out now.

Will take it easy with a 5m recovery tomorrow night, then back to 16 x 200m on tues am.

Hope it is warmer on sat.
  • Hi James your car sounds like me when I am running. Did 14 miles yesterday it was tough after racing on Saturday. Conditions perfect on Saturday firm course bright sunshine. I had my best race of the season finishing well in fornt of runners who had been beating me earlier in the year. Met baldy, nice to be able to put a face to the name.
    Looking forward to Saturday and renewing my rivalry with Seamus. Has anyone ran Stranaer before, what's the course like someone was telling me their is a hill at about 9 miles.
  • Your welcome anytime James but it will probably only be a short run as most of us are racing at the weekend either Stranaer or Albertville 5. About 4 miles and a few strides.
  • Good man Kenny - I'm glad to see that you're in good form. I have a habit of running quickly at the start and then flagging towards the second half of the race. I remember keeping in front of you in the 10 miler at Ballyclare but you took over in the second half. I also have good memories of the Stranocum run where you pipped me at the end. I just feel delighted to complete any race. I've shed over a stone of weight since Christmas as I want to break the 4 hour mark in the Connemara marathon on Easter Sunday. I'll try to break my PB of 1 hour 53 mins in Stranraer. I have a slight strain on my left ankle - I think its to do with the camber in the local roads. I'm now running the opposite direction.

What milage are you doing this week Kenny?

I ran 10 miles this evening. I will run 7 miles on Wednesday evening and then rest until the Stranraer run. Regards to everyone on this forum, Seamus.
  • Kenny, done Stranraer last 3 yrs. great course, PB potential but not lightning quick. there are a few climbs but the last mile is down hill. It is all out in the country the last you see of the loch is gettng off the boat.

Bottled water provided on course last year and as much fruit as you coukd eat at the end in addition to the goody bag. Very well organised.

16x200 tomorrow then steady 10 wed and some hills thu. Day of rest fri for me.

the weekend should let me know how i am going for Belfast.
  • Thanks Baldy I am unlikely to do a PB but would like to do a sub 1.50. I managed it at Omagh last year but I don't think I'am in that shape at the moment. Will see how I do on Sat before deciding to run Belfast.
    Tonight its 6x1000, circuits tomorrow and something short (3-4 miles) on Thursday rest on Friday and hopefully a good race on Sat.
    Seamus, Ive lost a bit of weight too it makes it a lot easier. You always set out fast and I have to push hard to keep you in my sight. Sometimes I get past and sometimes I don't. Running on country roads is not easy as some have very steep camber. I try were possible to run towards the centre of the road away from the cmaber but this is not always possible with traffic. One of the advantages of going out early on a Sunday morning when everybody is still in bed and no traffic on the roads. I am running about 35 to 40 miles a week with a circuits and pilates class as well. If I decide to run Belfast I may try and run home on a Wednesday to get an extra 10 miles.
  • Head & throat cold thingy still with me but undeterred was out for a steady 9m tonight in 63 mins and felt comfy. Still on for a few hills tomorrow but wont go over the top. try taper a bit for sat.

intend to christen my forum vest in stranraer. Will try remember camera for Richk s website anf for fetch too. recommend both, wwww.richk.co.uk and www.fetcheveryone.com. visit them and have a good laugh.