my knee is making strange noises??

Hi,

My knee is clicking every time I bend my leg. Also, if I lift and straighten my leg, there are a number of clicking sounds and a sort of grinding sensation :-(

Any ideas what could be causing this and how to stop it happening?

Regards,
William

Comments

• Hi William,

My knees have also started clicking since ive been training for the FLM, and based on my own medical knowledge(im training to be a vet, but that doesnt mean that my suggestion is correct!!!), i think it is very likely to be due to inflammation of the cartilage around the knee joint, which is caused by continuous pounding from running! I suggest to take ibuprofen and maybe use hot/cold repeatedly after runs to help 1) reduce the inflammation and 2) the hot/cold combination will encourage blood flow in the area, and may help to reduce the inflammatory process! I also bought a glucosamine sulphate plus chondroitin supplement which will help to rebuild any damaged cartilage, and basically save your knees in the future, if taken daily!

Hope some of what i said helps, let me know how you get on.
    Charlotte x
  • A lot of clicking and grinding in the knee is perfectly natural and nothing to be worried about, just natural wear and tear. I was told this by a couple of physiotherapists as I was worrying about the strange noises. As long as any new noises aren't accompanied by pain, I've been told not to worry.

As for Glucosamine, a lot of people swear by it but the jury seems to be out from a medical point of view - I read some stuff last week that said its effects are so far unproven. But hey, if it works for you, that's the main thing.
  • Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I have been doing a bit of research on the net.

http://www.iasm.com/kneepat.html

Seems to be the same problem (I think!). However, I'm reluctant to ignore it because last time I did that, I ended up needing an operation.

Perhaps I'll give it a week then check with the doctor...

Regards,
    William
  • Right knee clicks, grinds, burns, aches, gives way in sympathy. Gets a lot worse if I don't run. No idea why.

Best bit is bending down for sandwich mans box at work, clears the place in minutes, pretend it hurts and get sympathy from office lovelies