Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Hard to avoid colds at the moment everyone seems to be snifing. Easy run tonight rest tomorrow for Saturday. Early start for us to get to Belfast for the boat. Looking forward to the race as I've never done it before. Lets hope the weather isn't too bad.

Hi Hoose-Goer a few races in August on the federation calender Cookstown 5 mile(20 Aug)
    Dessies Run a 10K in Derry (30 Aug). Last year therwas the Ballyclare 10 mile and a race on Rathlin Island. If you check out the federation website closer to the time it should give you a full list. http://www.niathletics.org
  • I have worked in the Uni for 16 years a great place for runners good cross country course and some good routes around the uni. Will keep you posted if I hear of any other races during August.
  • Good luck to everyone running in Stranaer I'll see you there
  • Hi everyone - The Stranraer half was quite windy today. Some runners said that their times were slower by about 2 minutes because of the wind. The event was very well organised from start to finish. I was very tired on the boat on the homeward journey.
  • Seamus if that is your idea of quite i would hate to run in very!!!

put me back by about 2 - 2.5 mins but a great run and yet again well organised. i wont need to buy any fruit for a few days i can tell you. am getting the results emailed to me (hopefully) so let me know if you want a copy.

legs a bit achey taday so only did a gentle 9 but feeel better for it.

whats next on the horizon. was going to do jimmys 10 next week but that would mean sacrificing a long run (20ish). might just hold out until larne half (2 Apr). hate that run but it might just be the means to an end. Then laganside on 17 Apr.
  • Ian - I've run in windier conditions. However the Larne run is quite windy on the return journey. If you type in Results of Stranraer half 2005 into Google you can get the results. I had them on Saturday evening. There were 420 runners. You are a good one to run 9 miles today. I'll wait intil tomorrow and maybe do 7. Regards, Seamis.
  • well done seamus, found em. good site, www.ukresults.net

good to see kenny getting a mention in the team prizes too.
  • Hi James glad to hear you are feeling better. The ferry wasn't too bad until you got up to walk about though you had one too many to drink. Good well organised race but there was a strong north wind which made it very cold.
    Seamus your going well it must be the weight loss and the extra miles. Tried to keep with you hoping you would tire but my legs went before yours.
    Ian I had all my fruit ate before I got home. Got the result sthis morning.
    Ran Portstewart beach yesterday lovely morning bright sunshine cold but no wind.
  • Don't try doing too much this week James as you may have a relapse.
    Had a good battle with Seamus until seven miles then I slowed. I usuallly catch Se4amus near the end but this time I never saw him. Happy enough with my time. Not quite ready for a 1:50 and the conditions didn't help. It's my fastest half since Dervock last July. Keep pluging away and try again at Omagh.
    Went out at lunch time round the Xcountry legs still very heavy.
  • I don't know yet will continue to build up and see the advanatge of Belfast is you can wait to nearer the race before entering.
    My next race will be Omagh so I can concentrate on my training.
  • Hello everybody - I haven't run since. I might do a few miles on the treadmill tonight.
    Ian - I must look closer at the results to see Kenny's name. I don't know how you can run a 1hr 28 - that's a fantastic time.

Kenny- Your time of 1hr 53 is very good. If there hadn't been a breeze you could have dipped under 1hr 50. Kenny - I took a carbo gel at 45 minutes - I think it helped me. I shoud have taken another about 1/2 an hour later as I noticed my energy levels falling. At 10 mies I was on 84 mins. That means I ran the last 3 miles as 9 minute miles.

James - It was a good battle between Kenny and myself, however next time out I'd bet it will be Kenny finishing first.

Its just good to be able to compete and If I had finished under 2hours I'd have been happy. At Lisburn last June it took me over 2 hours to complete the half marathon.

Regards to all, Seamus.
  • hard speed sesh today.

1,2,4,2,1 min fast with 1 min recoveries three times not as easy as i first thought.

think thats it now until larne for me except for a wee trip to newcastle with work (7.5m XC)!!!

steady 9 to morra
  • Hill session last night 8 hills jog recovery. Circuits at lunchtime and if I feel OK I might run home.
    Baldy I saw a that session in a Runners World training guide. I quite liked the look of it but we were only going to do two set. We would also do a 30 sec fast 30 second jog 4 times a 3 minute jog and repeat the sequence 4 times doesn't sound a hard session but by the time you get to the 4th set you can feel it.
    Thinking about going to Bangor to what the races on Saturday.
    James how's the running going. I am full of the cold and yesterday at work didn't feel like going out running but went out and did a good session and felt better for it.
  • Did circuits at lunchtime now for the run home might be mid night before I get my tea.
    I am doing Omagh will be in Liverpool for Larne. Baldy is doing Larne and Seamus is in Connemara Easter weekend.
    Tell him there will be nobody about on Easter Saturday as they will all be away running the Omagh 1/2. He would save money closing.
  • Well everybody - I ran (plodded) 5 miles on the treadmill on Monday evening and on Tuesday evening I ran 15 road miles and finished off with 5 miles on the treadmill to make up my last long run of 20 miles.

I took a soreish/uncomfortable pain in my left ankle at the 12 mile stage of the 15 mile run. It gradually eased, but I know if occured again when I am running the marathon that it would really affect my chances of doing it under 4 hours. Its OK today. Does anyone else be troubled with this?

I think it might be overtraining after the Stranraer , maybe doing 20 miles on Tuesday was pushing it a bit.

Regards to evereyone, Seamus.
  • sorry seamus, no ankle pains but sore to touch shins, fine bfore during and after but hurt to touch all the the time, strange.

bout time you were tapering now any way.

steady 9 in 63 for me tonight.

james i tend to do most of mine alone, run with the club on mon but more social than anything as i spend most club nights taking the kids or the slower ones. except for hill nights then its a free for all!!!!

if you cant get teh day off for larne just throw a sicky:-))

hills tomorrow for me.

• Well I managed to get home last night the batteries went in my GPS and I lost the signal but I think it was about 9 1/2 to 10 miles. Took me 1.27 but I felt suprising good after doing circuits at lunchtime. Pilates at lunchtime today and then I'am out tonight.
    Seamus I get pains in my ankles all the time usually at the start but once I get going the generally free up and are OK. But I have had a pain in the middle of a tun like you mentioned but it disappears after a while could be an uneven part of the road putting an extra strain on the ankle. It is worrying if it happened in the middle of a marathon. It always feels good to get that last 20 miler out of the way.
    James I'll not be there tonight but your welcome to come along. The usual crowd will be there. They are looking to get away sharp at six as part of the route is out in the country with no street lights and they need to get it done before it gets dark.
  • Hills done cows and quads ache now, rest day the morra.

James dont be doing too much too quick easy to pick up an injury. mix it up plenty and get rest

dont worry about it seamus, you will have no worries at conne, just crack on and do it.

laganside route is slightly different, start at short strand, do the little loop around the hilton etc then along the river to ormeau rd but cross bridge there and back on ormeau embankment thenpass old start and repeat. dont go as far out before you turn. now 1 3/4 laps!!!
  • Hi everybody, Thanks for your words of encouragement. The ankle feels all right today. I actually ran my fastest training run for 5 miles at home in 39 mins 50 secs. My fastest race at 5 miles is 39 mins 26secs. I achieved that at Stranocum a few years ago and Kenny you beat me that day.
    I must start a bit of speed training between now and the marathon. Regards, Seamus.