What do i need to buy for winter trainning

Can anyone offer any advice on what i should wear in winter.

I am new to running and i did my firt 10k last week in 1hr9min can you tell me is this ok or what should i be aiming for.

Also one last thing if i want to run the marathon next year how many miles a week should i do.
thanks

Comments

• Reflective gear is a must - not only do I wear a fluorescent vest but an equally fluorescent Ronhill hat!!!!!
    There are training programmes around to prepare for marathons.
    Good luck and enjoy
    Karen
  • Joanne

Its depends on when and where you are going to be running!

Running in cold weather is the same as doing anything in cold weather i.e. you are better off wearing several lighter layers than one heavy layer. Also remeber that things like cotton tee-shirts retain water and once the wind gets on them you can end up dangerously cold. Lighweight wicking long sleeve shirts are the best although in Winter I tend to wear a ski thermal and wicking tee shirt over.

Also long training pants could be useful although I prefer to run in shorts on all but the coldest days.

You should also invest in a good pair of gloves and a hat which covers your ears.
  • Joanne,

I posted a similar request earlier this year (my birthday was approaching). The general pattern was plenty of wicking clothes. I opted for some long sleeve tops, a pair of long running tights, a pair of Ron Hill DXB water resistant tracksters and a showerproof jacket. All bought in sales via the web. Also, if you are going o run every day you will need an extra pair of shoes because they don't always dry out in time.

Good luck and 1.09 for a 10k is fine. The next thing you should aim for is 1.08 etc.

For advice on training for a marathon I'd look at the training schedules elsewhere on this site.

DB.
  • In addition to Martin's layers and Karen's reflective stuff, a windproof, showerproof jacket will keep the chill off and stop you getting too wet if you get caught in rain.

1:09 is a very creditable performance for a first 10k. With a good winter's training behind you, aiming to break the hour next spring/early summer should be achievable.

For marathon training, check out www.halhigdon.com - there are schedules for all levels there.
  • For winter running, you need a pair of mittens and a healthy sense of self-preservation. Don't get so obsessed with notching up miles that you go out running alone off-road in the dark, or risk your legs on icy pavements.

1:09 sounds like a very good start! Whether you should be training for a marathon next year depends partly upon what you're already doing. It's certainly possible to complete a marathon with only a few months of training behind you, but you're unlikely to enjoy it very much. If it's London that you're aiming for, there are schedules on this site, the official FLM site, lots of other internet sites and in all the running manuals. The most important thing is not to try to do too much too soon.
  • .. and a large bottle of whisk(e)y or wine for afterwards :-)

As ever V-rap's advice is spot on (she really is quite smart)
  • Top tip from Iceland (the country, not the supermarket) here - leave your hat and gloves on the radiator after every run. Then they'll be warm and toasty when you put them on. It helps, honest. (I've just re-read what I;ve written and it sounds like Woman's Own magazine :) )

Oh, and a warm bath afterwards. And Nick is correct about the whisky and wine, but I prefer beer and a tube of Pringles.
  • Also i am running about four to six miles every other day and a about 10 miles sunday, do you think i am over doing it?

I did get into this running thing to reduce my weight and yes i have lost a stone hurray
  • I used to run in sub-zero quite often, and the only real issues were my hands, so gloves are definitely worthwhile. The only real problem is going to be when it rains, otherwise you'll probably be warm enought trough running.
    As for mileage, only you can really tell. For something like a marathon you shouldn't be having to force it or push yourself too much. The weekly mileage totals are useful but not gospel. The better prepared you are, the less it will hurt, but it's still going to hurt. Just remember the second never hurts as much as the first!
  • Joanne

The current issue of Runner's World includes a review of base layers - the warm, next to the skin clothing that should be your starting point in cold weather. And in the November issue, out at the start of October, we'll be looking at rainwear.
  • Joanne

Re your mileage. 4 to 6 miles every other day and 10 on a Sunday sounds ok, as you are getting rest days and not doing any stupid distances. But the best way to tell if it's too much is by how you feel. You will be more tired than before you started running, and will need more sleep. If you feel knackered, or can't sleep, you may be over training. You will feel your muscles a bit sore/stiff the day after a long run, but if it doesn't go away, or if your legs feel like lead all the time, you may be overtraining. Also, if you get lots of colds, feel run down (pardon the pun) or are overly lethargic, take a few days off.

It's worthwhile condsidering a 3 week cycle, with one moderate week, one hard week, then an easier week, to maximise the training effect of rest. On your current mileage, a moderate week could be 2x4, 1x6 and your 10 miler; hard week, 1x4, 2x6 and include some faster bits in your 10 miler or add a mile; easy week, 1x2, 2x4 and cut your long run to say 8 miles. This is just a suggestion, you will know better where you fit in to something like this.

Good luck with the marathon training.