Sub 4hr marathon,anyone?

1111213141517»

Comments

• Alex i will be there on sunday should be fun,i have really struggled to kick this flu bug and although i have run a couple of times this week i'm way short of where i would like to be.Look forward to seeing some of you on sunday.
  • Hi there,
    I'm a complete novice - only started running seriously 6 months ago. Got a FLM place and have been aiming for 4:15, but I just ran 1:45 in my first ever 1/2. What do you reckon? Can I do sub-4? Training has been going well, no injuries (touch wood) and my long runs are up to 3 hours / 18miles. Is it a realistic goal for my 1st marathon?
  • yes - you can do it but you need to get a few 20 mile runs in to see how you feel. a full mara is much more demanding on the body than a 1/2 so once you get into that 18+ mile area, you will really start to feel it - your lungs will probably be fine, but your body will feel wrecked!

if you stay injury free, motivated and can get say 3 x 20milers in then you will have a very good chance......

did my 20miler on Saturday in a a few seconds under 3hrs, then went to the gym yesterday (wanted to do a tickover session as it was snowing) and ended up doing a 20km bike/5k run triathlon brick - and ended up getting a 5k treadmill PB!!!

oops - didn't mean to go that quick but chuffed all the same........and surprisingly legs don't feel too bad today, but having a rest day
  • boing for CBPT........

here ya go
  • My training had been going really well until last sunday (8 days ago) I did a 10km cross-country race and opted for 2nd pair of trainers and got nasty blister on arch of left foot. It's in a spot that is affected every time I move my foot and the skin is really slow there to repair. Haven't been able to run since and it will be at least three days till I can run again.

Luckily got next couple of weeks off work so am hoping to squeeze in 2 20 milers and then taper. (Did one 18 miles before got the injury).

Getting frustrated that I can't get more long runs at this stage under my belt but hopefully it will clear by the weekend.

Christy
  • wondered where this fred had got to!

training on plan having had a week off skiing (where I also had a week to stomach problem and klet nothing in) and then came back and got a PW at Hastings 1/2!! should have stayed in bed I guess.....

but did Cranleigh 21 yesterday in 3:16 - slightly slower than I would have liked but felt good until last 4 miles when my ITB's started tightening up so dropped back off the 9min/mile pace..........

will do another 3hr+ run over Easter and then start tapering and slap some fartlek sesssions and bike rides in to ease off the legs.........

bring that FLM on..........
  • How did we manage to get 2 sub 4hr threads? I've been posting on the other one
  • the other one is from 2004 FLM - this one is 2005
  • Confused me to!

I seem to have picked up a niggling injury after my 20 mile race last week. I have has sore feet. The pain is inside the foot, maybe on the top and towards the outside.

The soreness could be a feeling like tendonitis....know what I mean? Probably from overuse during the race.

Any sugestions? Stretching, massaging? running? Resting?
  • maybe you shoes and gait not being comatible??? I had similar to you in 2003 and it turned out that I was using motion control shoes for peeps with overpronation, whereas my feet are neutral - since changing to neutral shoes it has disappeared. I even went to the expense of having an orthotic made (shows hou much some podiatrists know!) which helped solve the problem but just getting the right shoes was by far and away the best solution.
  • here's the missing r and p from my last post
  • the other one is from 2004 FLM - this one is 2005

The problem is that the other thread seems to be busier than this one although one or two are posting on both,
  • Cubby, my advice would be to get yourself to a physio. I had the same simptoms a few weeks back. I got myself checked out and found out it was a bit of tendonitis in my foot joints. I had a bit a physio, was shown some new stretches and now it's fine. Best £25 I've spent.
  • Thanks for the advice, I will try and get into the physio asap.

Funnily enough this morning in the shower I stretched my foot using the curve of the bath and it clicked, and 80% of the pain went almost instantly!

Still some discomfort but at least my limp has gone!

• that sounds like a tendon or ligament that had become stuck - probably on a bony spur - I guess you will get moving quickly now.........
  • I've been following the training schedules published in RW in February which give a 3.30 - 4.30 training plan. I'm hoping to do 4 hours but feel that the schedule has been light in terms of milage. My last long run was 19 miles and I covered this on my own in 3 hours. Is anyone else following these schedules and do you think as I do ?

• Grinder

all the action is now over on the other sub 4 thread . . .

try this link ??
  • natnif

Thanks for the advice. Judging from what I've read on the other thread people have moved on and are now more concerned with getting together rather than schedules. This doesn't solve my problem though.

Will post original message there and see what response I get.
  • TG - 19 miles in 3 hrs is fine - I did 18 in 2:45 the other day...........but believe me - the miles beyond 20 are the hard ones so don't get too optimistic and run FLM at a pace that suits....

I don't think the RW schedules are light on miles for sub-4.......if you want to scare yourself look at the schedule for the 2:30 clan or go onto the Mike Gratton Hard training thread......those guys are piling big miles up.........
  • Cheers Fat Buddha.

Maybe the schedules I've followed in the past were more specific in miles rather than time.

Having run a number of marathons and having used RW schedules in the past I'm probably used to 5/6 days running per week to achieve sub 4 hours. Anyhow I'm glad to hear your views as they certainly make me feel a bit more confident.