Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Glad you enjoyed the session James running with a group helps your training.
    On the taper Seamus I think I would give speed work a miss until after the marathon. You are going well at the moment and lossing the weight is a big bonus. I think you are running better than Stranocum a couple of years ago.
    Went out at lunchtime a ran 3.7 miles very windy but managed to avoid the rain. Rest day tomorrow and long run on Sunday 17 miles weather permitting.
  • resting today.

i still do speed work on the week leading up to a mara, usually the tue, 8x400, keeps the legs ticking over, just got to be careful not to pick up a strain!!

James aiming for around 1.25. Course is boring but at least its mainly flat, just depends on the wind.

kenny are you not coming down for the British masters in bangor? was going to do the over 35 race but fell out with the organiser and told him where he could stick his race!! may marshall as a favour to a friend though.
  • some great racing i thought kenny. the o35 race was binned due to lack of interest, may be that tells a tale, we 35 - 39 yr olds dont wanna be vets so LEAVE THINGS ALONE!!

managed a steady 20 today in 2.20 well on target and felst not bad. left some water and a gel out last night at an opportune spot, well worth doing if you can plan it right.

club night tomorrow, why did i tell everyone we were going to do hills in castle park :-((
  • Some good racing on Saturday at Bangor those old fellows can still motor. Glad as wasn't racing as I think I'd have been last again, but didn't feel like racing so soon after Stranaer. Ran 17 in 2.42 on Sunday, cold with the odd snow shower. I think I've solved my problem with blisters on my feet by straping them up before going out. Ian I tried having a cold bath when I came in to help ease the legs nearly died of hypothermia, and I don't know if it helped.
    Easy jog on the cross country today.
  • James what have you got up to on your long run. Runners World have a six week schedule (in this months mag) for runners who have left it late or been injured. It may be an idea to have a look at it which may just put you back on schedule. You may have to cut out one of the half marathons which I am sure you don't want to doo after getting the time off.
  • Well kenny what about the legs, mine were dead on today, nice steady 6 tonight and not a twinge after yesterday.

James onyl thing i can add is try early mornings and late nights, it takes some getting up at 5.45 but its one way of making time. Its what i sometimes have to revert to when work interferes.

that and readjust your sights, i was aiming for connemara ultra but got injured before xmas and had to forget it and concentrate on belfast instead with Cardiff in Oct being my main target after some (hopefully) good summer training.
  • Ian my legs felt OK a bit heavy but no twinges went for a nice easy 4 miles round the xcountry there must have been a lot of rain because it was a bit soft. Pilates at lunchtime speed session tonight. I find that I run better in the evening after pilates session.
    James no problem if you want to come along on Sunday. I leave the house at 8.15 jog down to meet the group at 8.30 do a run and then add on a bit extra to give me the distance on my schedule. I am planning on doing 18 this Sunday. The faster guys tend to go on and turn back. I find going out at this time you miss a lot of the traffic and are back finished early and the rest of the day is free to do what you want. I don't know if 18 miles the week before a 1/2 is a good idea but my main aim is to get round the full marathon.
  • If you are going out as part of a group it tends to keep you a little bbit more motivated
  • Hi everybody - Good to see you are all running well. Its great now with the milder weather, the training is more pleasant.

I did 10 miles this evening. I'll run 6 on Thursday evening and then 8 on Saturday. After that I'll run a 5 miler on Monday and then on the Friday before the Connemara I'll run a 3 miler.

I think I'll not be able to break the 4 hour barrier as Connemara is quite a hilly run.
    Regards, Seamus.
  • We did a speed session last night 6 mins on 2 mins off. Tired at the end. Feel OK today.
    Circuits at lunchtime then run home this evening. Training as normal tomorror night as not every one gets this holiday. It takes a while to get the flu completely out of the system James which may be why your legs tighten a bit towards the end.
    Got an entry form for Belfast yesterday but havn't go round to filling it in.
    Hi Seamus Glad to hear the training is going well it won't be long now. Connemara is a tough run and a lot depends on the weather. 4 hours will be tough but I think you are in better shape than last year so if you don't get the 4 I think you will do a better time than last year. Good luck and I hope you miss the cold and flus that are going around.
  • No problem James I leave the house at 8:15 to meet the other guys at the top of Henry Street which is down by Flash n Pan chip shop at 8:30. It gives me a little extra. I am down to run 18 miles this week the others will probably do something shorter especially those running Omagh.
    I ran home again on Wednesday night 9.5 miles not as bright this week was getting dark by the time I got home. We came back through the park to the leisure centre last night just over 5 miles.
  • James racing two half marathons in a week is tough. I'll be Liverpool on the 2nd and Omagh fits into my schedule. I find it takes me a while to get over a half now, it could just be old age. You probably better concentrating on your marathon training and just doing the one.
    Are you meeting me at my house on Sunday.
  • See you Sunday. Do you think you'll be safe in the Railway Arms in an England shirt
  • bloody glad its sunday

not a mile ran from tue-fri. got out yesterday for 8 and today for 16, that work thingy really dets in the way of things at times. was on call, still its over now for anuvver 6 wks.

anyone got to the new up and running in belshaft yet?

what about glenarif and jimmys 10?

not long to go now sseamus, dont forget and taper right!!
  • Good man Ian, Good to hear from you. You're going well with all those miles. These were two terrific days for running.

I did 8 miles yesterday - glorious weather. I'll do a 5 miler on Tuesday and then a 3 miler on Friday. Then for the big one in Connemara. I just hope I don't pick up any germs/viruses before then.

The best of luck to everyone alse in training and for those doing the Omagh half.
  • Hi James bit tired today. Had my cold bath yesterday after the run, stretched and lay about watching the tele. Did you see the world xcountry those guys cna fair motor. If I could doo 100m at that pace I'd be happy. Nice easy 4 miles on the xcountry today ground will be soft after all the rain.
    Good luck on Sunday Seamus let hope all the had work has paid off will be thinking about you as I tuck into my Easte Egg.
    Trainings going well Baldy looks like I'll do Belfast have the form filled in just to pick up the courage and post it now.
  • you have got further than me kenny, i aint filled mine in yet.

James watch them there knees, a big jump like that is what made em sore, the RW 6 wk schedule was a bit easier on the joints than a sudden 19, build it up agen. Theres still 6 full weeks of training.

gentle 5 tonight in the wind and rain for me before a good 16x200 tomorrow @ 0630!!
  • was that huffers or bluffers!!!!

am doing larne unfortunately. am away this week end. hate larne but need the fast miles.

keep up the ice, after your runs every little helps and keep a good eye on it. its easy to get carried away and then edinburgh will be a no go:-((