sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Thanks for the advice but Compeed isn't doing the trick this time. Tried a patch yesterday but the area is too tender to run onand the conmpeed actually makes it a bit worse. It's alot beter today so I'm hoping (fringers crossed) by friday it will be recovered enough for me to do a long one.

Staying positive.............
  • Hanky

I think your time for the Oakley was good, I was surprised how hilly it was. I think those undulations added a couple of miles worth of effort compared to the relative flat of the flm course! I'm planning a long slow 22 next week also. Roll on the tapering.
  • Speaking of nigglilng injuries, after my 20 mile race lats week I have has sore feet.

The soreness could be a feeling like tendonitis....know what I mean? Probably from overuse during the race.

Any sugestions? Stretching, massaging? running?
  • Hi Cubby, the best remedy for foot tendonitis is rest, you can also help speed up recovery by using ice on the effectied area, but not for more than about 10 minutes at a time. You could also consider getting orthopedic insoles to support your arch...if that doesn't work your GP might be able to put you on anti-inflamitory drugs. Hopefully though it will not be too serious and a couple days of rest will do the trick...
  • Hello, Other Jenks calling,

Following the RW sub 4, and have been doing quite well for a first timer.

Did my 19 miler on Sunday, and now have what I believe to be Shin Splints in the left leg. It was there slightly before, during the week, (noticable during other sessions)and when warm caused no problem.

However yesterday and today have been most uncomfortable, and I'm actually hobbling when I first stand up and start to walk, let alone run. Although it is getting better as time passes from the end of the 19 miler.

Have checked the injuries section of site, this seems to fit my ailment, and will continue to RICE.

We are obviuosly at an important stage, and people talk about getting in the really long runs, and X amount of long ones totaling 100 miles etc....

Will it matter if I miss a few sessions this week, and what about my 22 miler on Sunday?
    Start to Taper now?(what ever it exactly means to taper?)

Any advice would be appreciated,

Jenks (Other)

• hi Jenks

Your more likely to suffer during the FLM through injury than through missing a long run. If you have already got a good foundation of fitness behind you then dealing with the injury is more important. Fitness will stay with you up to 8 weeks after training stops. Taper just means reducing the training milage towards race day. Most FLM runners should start this next week.My plan was to run 20 or 22 miles this Sunday, then 12 the following Sunday followed by 7 the Sunday before the FLM.

Keep the RICE up and (dont worry too much about missing a few training runs) you should still be ok. Best of luck.
  • In my personal experience, although i have only taken part in the FLM once ,4h 15, the length of run isn't important. Its more important as to the amount of time you are running for regardless of speed and diet in the run up to the big day. I completed the london in '96. My longest run prior to the race was only a half marathon and my time in the marathon would have been quicker i'm sure had it not been for my appalling choice of footwear and the temperature on the day ( if anyone took part in 96 they will know what i mean). I'm pretty sure i could have cracked 4hrs but for blisters the size of golf balls on my feet.
    So for anyone who isn't currently doing regular 16/18 mile runs do not despair.
  • If your ever worried about injuries read the book by Joe Simpson call "touching the void" It is a true story of how a mountain climber left for dead, manages to get himeself down a mountain with a serously broken leg, with no food, water or shelter. The body is amazing, with determination it can do amazing things. On April 17th our bodies will be doing amazing things, TRUST IT, it will not let you down.

• I'm not so worried about my body letting me down, as opposed to my bowels...any thoughts on using Immodium for the big day?
  • Hey dazza I was told that the leading runners crap their pants to avoid stopping..........I'm pleased to confirm that won't be my tactic though!!
  • Hi there Higo. There's a joke in there somewhere about SpongeBob SquarePants, but it been a long day at work so I'm too tired to make it.

That was a great time on your 20 miler by the way - you will be in great shape for the FLM.

I'm planning my last 20 miler prior to the big day on Thursday, so we'll see how it goes. I'm trying to remain relaxed about the whole 4hr thing and just focus on the fact that four months ago I would I fallen off my chair in hysterics at the thought of telling anyone I could run 20 miles without a break! Training has been a tough experience - but I'm really glad I've stuck it out as the big day approaches...see you ono the start line!

• Taking the P**s?

The problem with the FLM is that if you need to empty your bladder during the race you have to run quite few miles until there is anywhere to go. Quite late on during the 2000 FLM i needed to go and tried literally to go on the run, i think there is some physiological reason you can not do it. I read that Tour de France riders can do it by holding out one of thier legs like a dog, may be i will pracitice this technique on my last long training run? Of course this technique may not work for females.

I've never managed to find an article on this problem so i would be interested in anyone elses views. If you do have a bladder problem going up the Mall then urine trouble for certain. Liz will no be amused!
  • Hi Dazza,

We have a lot in common!! At last I feel in shape for the big day, I did 14 miles about 4-6 weeks ago and thought am I flippin real thinking i can do this!! But I've stuck to it and after my 18 and 20 mile runs I am muched more confident that I will finish and although I'd like 3.59.59 it is no big deal if it goes over. I'll be more than proud to stand on the start line having put up with 4 months hard work. This run to me is about setting a goal and having the inner belief, desire, and determination achieve that goal. So come on let's all get positive - it will soon be here.
  • Superman,

You have really added some great stuff on here and you certainly have cheered me up. I'm sure the Queen won't mind dazza having a slash on her daffodils if he's desparate!!

• 21 at 43

One of the positive things about marathon training is how great the short runs feel. I did a 5 miler last night and felt it was like a sprint...i was running along the sea front at Southsea like a man possesed, i felt like i was 21 again (infact i am 43 later this year), this i thought, is why i run.
  • I know what you mean about the shorter runs superm@n, I did one the other week and felt as though I was floating, no effort at all and yet I was flying.
  • Jenks the Other, sorry to hear about your shins splints. I had exactly the same thing a few years ago. Have you had your gait analysed to see if you have the correct shoes?

I went to a podiatrist and have been wearing motion control shoes with custom orthosis for just over three years now and no longer have the shin pain.

I found that ibuprophen gel and a tight elastic tube bandege helped ease the pain.

There is hope, don't despair
  • Wednesday

Still feeling a little stiff after the 20 miles on Sunday. Managed 5 miles fartlek this morning - not too bad. I don't know if this is biologically possible but my bladder felt less full after 20M than after 10M!?
  • Wednesday,

2 days rest after 20 on Sunday, up at 6.30 for a 7.5 miler hilly job. Felt fantastic like you Superman. This is a regular course for me and I did it in 1.02.47 personal best by nearly 3 minutes did the last two miles in 6.59 and 7.19. This is why I run, I've never flet as fit in 32 years....
  • After a run last week i asked my wife what she liked most about me, my fantastic physical appearance or my fantastic intellect? She said "my fantastic sense of humour!".....boom, boom.
  • For information: The BBC between now and the FLM are running what looks like a decent web site for eveything to do with the marathon, you can get onto it via a link on their main sports page. Check it out. Of course it's not as good as the "Runners World" site?
  • Hi guys

I was feeling depressed after my slow 20 miler on Saturday until Jenks reassured me it was at the right pace.

Since then I have got my confidence back. Last night at training we did speedwork on hills - 6 laps. I was really pleased because I beat people who were much faster than me at the start of the year. I also feel fitter than ever. My husband says I look trimmer than I was previously and a girl at the club asked if I'd lost weight! (I'm only light anyway but this side effect of training is welcome!)

I'm on a high at the moment, roll on FLM it will be great. Not long to go everyone, final big effort!
  • Little Les,

isn't runners high great!!

Calling all experienced flm runners, what happens after the race in terms of celebrating or is it cold bath and bed because of exhausion? Do people plan to go home after or stay overnight?
  • This is my first post....been reading up on how you guys are doing!!

I did my first ever 20 miler on Sunday and was a wee bit dissapointed at the time of 3.12 (tried to keep a regular 9min pace). But after thinking about it, I was running myself and got held up a few times at traffic lights and road works.

I ran with water for the first 10 miles then picked up a Lucozade Orange packet I had hidden at 12 miles...very surprised how refreshing it was.

After the run my legs were knackered, but I was amazed to find that on Monday I just felt a wee bit tired and now they feel really good.

I am running for a charity so I don't know where I will start from and have never ran a marathon before....but would like to try for the 4hr mark.
  • Hi Michael,

Welcome to a great thread. I also did a 20 miler on Sunday at a slightly quicker time (3.06) with no road works etc! I felt tired Sunday pm and also most of Monday and rested Tuesdayas well but I was flying this morning and am looking forward to 22 miles on Sunday!! (Am i mad?) Also my first time and I am aiming for 4 ish. Can't wait feel great.
  • hello michael, i am not sure how you got held up at traffic lights and road works are you sure you were not in your car? (sorry, only teasing) One problem i experience in training is not being certain how far i have run. I normally try to underestimate the distance i run so i'm not disapointed during races.A lot of people now have these GPS watches which tell them exactly how far and how fast they have run i am not too sure whether it spoils the whole point of running. It is good that you recovered quickly, a good sign you have been putting in the training. If it is the first time you have completed 20 miles then dont worry too much about the time, you may find you can knock off quite a few minutes next time.

After the FLM i am going back to my sisters house were she will ply me with loads of TLC and alchohol, i probably wont even remember the drive home after, (by the way my wife will be driving) I know my legs will stiffen alot the next day but rather than sit around i would suggest a good 15 mile fartlek on a hilly course (sorry only joking)a walk down to the shops will help, and dont run for a week, just enjoy what you have achieved.
  • I'm trying a 22 miler on Sunday too....but this time with my running club (they were all away doing halfs and 10k's last week).

By a total freak I just found out that the hotel i'm staying in (i'm coming down from Scotland)is on the race route, nearly at the 14/22 mile marker....all my wife and kids have to do is walk out say hello and go back into the hotel.

• One thing that is amazing is how 12 months ago most of us would have laughed at the thought of running 5 or 6 miles without stopping and now we are casually dropping in the mention of 20 miles or 22 miles. I can remember being at school and being daunted by the weekly 2 mile cross country run, how things have changed?

By the way do some of you really have these cold baths after training? How cold is cold & do they help?
  • Yeah Superm@n......When I started in January I was struggling with 4-5 miles and my wife was laughing at me for saying that last Thursday's run was "ONLY" 13 miles.

Cold baths:....I know a few people who have tried this and swear it works....I'm a hot bath man myself (too old to change my habits now).
  • Cold Baths:

I put the cold tap on full and run it until it is waist deep and you can submerge your legs fully. I have a shower attachment running on hot as I get in and sprinkle it over the top part of my body (this makes my brain think i'm getting in a warm bath - trust me it works). I submerge into the bath with my toes sticking out of the water. I then run a little more cold water to take into account the hot I've put in. I sit there for 20 minutes. After 3/4 minutes you get used to this madness. I don't put ice in. I then get out and have a warm shower for 2 minutes. The cold gets rid of the lactic acid and the next day I'm only slightly stiff after a long run. I only do it after long runs. You get used to it trust me.