Runner's World 15-Mile Training Run, Richmond Park

14567810»

Comments

• Steve J - the Robin Hood roundabout is the first set of traffic lights you come to as you come into london on the A3
  • Hi all,
    I was supposed to be doing this as well, but will now definitely not be able to go the full distance. Thought I might join you for a lap and then could help out supplying you with drinks/gels etc. if that's any good to anybody.

BRM, Nick - I really enjoyed the towpath run as well but later that week I managed to tear my hamstring and am only just starting to gently run again. Definitely no 22miles though. Don't yet know what I'm going to do about marathon. Sorry to hear that you're both having problems too, hopefully everything will clear up soon.

• Stephen, Thanks for adding my name to the list.

Mum, Very bad news about your leg, hope you'll feel like doing a lap on Sunday - Thanks for your generous offer of help. Do you know Kipling's poem, "Gunga Din"?
  • Commiserations MumomtheRun. What bad luck.

I'll be off-line after today. A couple of thoughts.

I will mostly be wearing a purple Childrens Trust running vest and will be there about 7.45.

We will aim to leave at 8am prompt and will run in a clockwise direction (same as the paced run - leave the nasty hill until the end of the lap). If anyone is late, I suggest you run in an anti-clockwisw direction until we meet up.

After each lap I will be swapping over bottles in the car. If you are planning on something similar, try and park as close to the path as possible.

Finally, will anyone have a GPS to monitor pace? I suggest 9.30mm as I am still sore from 21m at Cranleigh on Sunday and know this is going to hurt! Anyway it will be slowwwwww.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Stephen
  • Hi BRM, Mum on the Run, yes it was a great run the other week, had two beautiful blisters afterwards though, so have started hitting the bottle (surgical spirit bottle) and the feet as hardening nicely now.

Susan, sorry to hear about the hamstrings, would be nice to see you on Sunday.

As for the calves, I bought some new shoes as I think the other ones were causing the problem, did seven miles last night with no pain at all & finished off with a visit to my physio, he gave me a loosening up massage as they were quite tight & I have a list of exercises to do, so all being well, I will be there on Sunday.

Laters everyone.

Nick
  • Apologies, you must think I am so rude. I will be looking forward to meeting everyone else as well

Nick
  • Guys - I won't be there on Sunday but thought I should just pitch in to say A3 is an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE since mid week - just to warn you - its closed further down southbound and it took me 2 hours yesterday to travel a mile and a half. DOn't know what teh peripheral roads are like down there but you might want to bear it in mind
  • Martin, Nick, Ross, Stephen, Stephen - Many thanks for a great run this morning. I'd never have got round without you. I hope you're all feeling very confident about the FLM and that you have a marvellous day.

The Jehovahs have just doorstepped me, so I'm in a religious mood:

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face, the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

(traditional gaelic blessing)
    Big Up, chaps, from your homey, Brian
  • To all of you, sorry I was late, I must admit I had my own punishment as I had to run the last one on my own.

Brian- you are a Star! you don't know how that cheered me up, I was definitely feeling quite sorry for myself & seeing you there waiting for me gave me the strength to finish, thanks. love the blessing by the way.

Nick

• Nick, you're welcome - I didn't envy you your solo third lap. You were looking pretty good when you arrived at my car - How was the final hill?

I was v. wobbly on my last couple of miles, and when I finished I had a stretch and a retch and a v. welcome sit-down. Peaceful and smug, I was able to smile pleasantly as dozens of poor b*ggers trundled by who hadn't finished their runs. Nothing better than looking at runners when you're not running, eh?

What times did everybody record for the run? I reckon that I did 3:26:50 for 22M (to-ing and fro-ing lengthened my route a bit). That's 9:23perM, which I definitely didn't do over the last 5M, so we must have clocked up some nippy miles before we reached my car on the last lap. Well done, Stephen and Stephen and Ross.
  • Hi all,
    so sorry I couldn't be there. But I've only just surfaced again after 2 days of being struck down by some bug and really high temperature and I wouldn't have been able to run anyway. Did a trial jog on Thursday to test hamstring and had to give up as it was too painful.
    So, that's it as far as London is concerned I'm afraid. I'm only slowly coming to terms with it and I think I'm going to go for Abingdon in October.

Well done everybody for doing the 22M and good luck for London and Stratford Upon Avon.
  • Martin JMartin J ✭✭✭
    Thanks for a great run - I really enjoyed the company.
    I found the first bit of the last lap really hard. Thank you Brian for staying with and talking to me. You kept me going!
    Well done Stephen, Stephen and Ross on some impressive times during the last lap and to Nick for doing the third lap solo.
    I finished at 11.41 am so reckon my overall time was about 3:30 - average 10 min miles which was probably about right given that I slowed during the last lap and walked the last hill (as per Stephen V's instruction).
    Thanks again and good luck on Marathon day.

Martin
  • Martin JMartin J ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that MOTR but it's better to be safe than sorry. Is it your own place - if so you will be able to defer until next year. Godd luck anyway for Abingdon
  • Mum, sorry to hear about your illness: this is terrible news and I'm sure that you're going to bounce back. I don't think that you should abandon London - you were in excellent form on our towpath run, and if you build up some medium-to-long training in the next couple of weeks you'll certainly be fit for FLM - you might surprise yourself with your time. Anyway, you'll certainly finish and you can treat it as a training run.

Martin, the company on Sunday was indeed excellent and it was a pleasure to run with you. All the best for FLM - let us know here how you get on.
  • To Brian,Martin,Ross,Nick,Stephen V - many thanks for Sundays run - enjoyed every minute (just trying to encourage my knees to feel the same!!).

As I train mostly alone it was great to have encouragement of others knowing we are all aiming for the same.

Stephen V did run the last hill!! - well done.

Well done Nick for carrying on the last lap alone - great mental strength.

As Brian says - what a great feeling when you have finished your run to see others just starting out.

Cheers all
    steve
  • Good effort everyone. The taper has started!

Excellent company - hope to see some of you again.

MumontheRun - Don't give up on London just yet. I have heard very good reports on Abingdon. I am contemplating it myself.

Stephen
  • I watched the FLM on television - looked a bit warm. How did everybody do?