Marks out of 10

Let's say you had to pack in training for competition tomorrow and just jog easy 3 times per week.

Looking back on your races and other parts of your running life, what would you give yourself out of 10 for what you have achieved relative to your goals?

I would have 7/10 at the moment. Many many highlights and good experiences - pbs, county medals, targets achieved, friends made, races run, competitions within races, camaraderie of relays.

The missing 3 would be from a feeling that I never quite raced the times I thought I was fit enough to do at 10, 10 miles and marathon, and spent a bit too much time worrying about outcomes instead of process (although the last 2 contradict)!

Comments

• 6 because so young. If in 10 years time and my pb's are still the same then 8, since I will have had 10 more years of being on the fringe of the county team etc.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Hmmm.

9/10, mind you I had a good week last week, otherwise it would "only" have been 8.

Last time round, giving up at age 28 (now 56), I felt I had given it 9.5/10 (apart from THAT marathon). Despite that, I did go through a period of self delusion about 10 years later when I thought I had underachieved. In retrospect I now realise that was b*llocks.

Now if I could only break 50mins for 10 miles...that would be something...11/10 perhaps?
  • About 4. Should be alot better than I am, but don't train enough (3 times a week would be a bonus). Got time on my side to make amends though, and already starting. This time next year I'll be a six.
  • I'd give myself 10 out of 10 for every race that I've ever run because each time I've beaten my previous PB (with the exception of R4L June 2003 - which was post-chemo and doesn't count). But the very fact I'm running at all after such a hard time with all that THAT entailed means it's been blood, sweat, guts and tears along every step of the way. If I had to stop tomorrow... I'd quite happily say I'd done my best. No point doing it if you don't do that.... so, seeing as I won't be retiring tomorrow... I'll be continuing and I'll be pestering and mithering you lot (who are better than me) for training advice...

...so get used to it!!

;o)
  • Oh... and you get no choice in being there with me every step of the way too!

;o)

how cool is that!!!!

:-D
  • eight

Its not been bad not really

thats a bloody good mark from me
  • 9/10; might have gone a bit faster, but it would have just been a matter of luck with injuries, wind behind me on a windy day, short course - mind you, weren't all courses short in Tom's day?! :)) - inadvertent steroid abuse, caffeine ovedose, etc.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    B*gger, just when I was starting to feel good about myself :-((
  • Yeah, but just think Tom, you're probably as fast now as you were twenty years ago, it's just the courses are much longer.

So you can feel really good about yourself! :)
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Thermobird, excuse me but I just fell over the sofa laughing. LOL and more

Thanks
  • Another one of these questions. Doesn't matter too me at all. I am more after an experience, which doesn't need to be competitive or need to be quantified in times, number of medals or positions. I also have excelled in other areas outside running and have achieved more in cycling than in running for example.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    URR, I think its a satisfaction rating, rather than a performance rating. However if you see BR approaching you on the High Street, clutching a clipboard, I'd run like b*ggery (always assuming of course your wearing your HRM)
  • "Another one of these questions. Doesn't matter too me at all."

But you'll have a go at answering it anyway. Good man:)
  • oh, are we also talking about non running achievements?

er

right,im off to bed
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I'm with URR on this one - I looked at the thread title and it was a question about satisfaction from running - but then the post talks about what we've achieved relative to goals - 90% of the satisfaction I've had from running has nothing to do with times or race positions.
  • I don't think you can come up with an overall score. Most of you do mainly the marathon. You haven't yet even explored other areas of running ...

- High altitude training
    - Indoor competition
    - Sprint
    - Middle distance running
    - Track league
    - Running with disabled
    - Coaching youngsters
    - Ultra marathon scene
    - Fell running
    - Run in custome
    - Charity runner
  • It is not relative to goals, popsider. When I started running none of the things that have since stood out as highlights were goals as such. My only goal was to get fitter.

The disappointments would be not having done myself justice in certain races and not having had a chance to put those performances right.
  • Realised I've contradicted myself there:) `Relative to goals' should maybe be left out of the original question - it is not a necessary part of the question.
  • - High altitude training
    - Indoor competition
    - Sprint
    - Middle distance running
    - Track league
    - Running with disabled
    - Coaching youngsters
    - Ultra marathon scene
    - Fell running
    - Run in custome
    - Charity runner

Refereeing
    Race organisation
    Marshalling
    Club organisation

So you can't really judge satisfaction in a running life until you've done all of those?
  • 10/10, why regret anything?

OK, I'm not the fastest, but I have run times a lot of people can only dream of. I never would've dreamt I'd do a 1:23 HM, I still can't believe that day, amazing. Like I was floating on air.

The only thing I've "won" has been a first male team prize, but s0d it, I've had a laugh, I've got one hell of a lot fitter, I've got the souvenirs and some great memories. I've proved a lot to myself.

Regrets are for boobies. Don't wallow in what might have been, and remember the enjoyment.
  • BR - Yes, the list can get quite long, there are so many aspects.

Everybody has to answer that themselves. Personally, I think you can't rate satisfaction without knowing some of the other areas. For example, say someone only did marathons for 10 years and finally gets bored and thinks of hanging up his racings flats, without knowing what XC is or how much fun mountain running can be.
  • Surely the rating has to be relative to what you have actually done? Otherwise you would constantly be disappointed because the list of what you could have/should have done is almost endless.....

Run on a beach at dawn

Run from one country to another

Run in a race with your children/parents/grandparents

Run around an island...........

I am not particularly satisfied with my times, but I am extremely satisfied with my running in general....
  • Up until the age of 21 I would give myself 8 out of 10. Managed vests up to international level. Wona few races.

Currently would give myself 1 or 2 out of 10. I can't run for 10 miles without stopping.
  • i was once able to put on my own vest when i was about 6 and we were in paris
    - but i don't think that counts as an international vest

my concusion -race performances = *minus* 53 out of 10

couple of 5k's where i was almost last

however,
    have run on a beach at sunset a few times
    and run in a race with my son

so maybe it's not all bad
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    10/10

Didn't win nuffink.

Except, mobility for a time, self respect, and a moment in the sun.
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Hang on a mo, have indeed won several prizes, three spot prizes, two of them very generous indeed, and four bottles of wine for the 100th team home in a relay (out of about 110).
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, and a large cup from Foulees de la Soie for something or other.

Guess I've won a lot, really.
  • 9/10 ran my best races 10 years ago and trained so hard my feet hurt every day. Docked 1 point for running a pathetic marathon!
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    I'd give myself 10/10.

When I started running 5 years ago my goal was simply to beat 3 hours for a marathon. At the time this goal was extremely stretching. It took 3 attempts and 3 years and it certainly doesn't seem stretching now.

Anything else is a bonus now!

As Bryan says, what's the point in having regrets. You can't change the past, so why dwell on it.
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    7/10.

Quite good at squeezing every drop out of sparse available free time, and at pacing races to go quite a lot faster than I have any reasonable right to expect.

Some stupid avoidable injuries and needlessly wasted races, but that's all part of the fun.