Options

Chavs Spoiling training

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with bored teenagers while FLM training?

Beat this one! I was doing some sprint training on a sports field last week and placed my water bottle by a rugby post where some spotty darlings were playing football.

After a 5 min high intensity run, i returned to quench my thrist, to find my waster bottle gone.

After quizzing the kids, one of them pointed out my bottle. It was thrown in the hedges, complelely emptied and trashed.

Nothing i could do about it, but i had few words with them! I was tempted to drop kick them jonny wilkisnon style through the rugby posts, but didn't want to injur myself!

Anyone else had simliar confrontations?

Comments

• Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    I have had a few confrontations, mostly harmless. Last week a group of chavs tried running with me (not sure why, had headphones on), but couldn't make it up the hill which amused me. At the other end of the spectrum have had bottles chucked at me, which didn't amuse me.

Mostly they are used to me now, and leave me alone, but when I started running through the estates they were annoying.
  • Options
    Had two lads trying to throw eggs at me yesterday. Just ignored them and got out of range quickly. Also several shouts from cars, people running along side etc. The joys of bank holiday daytime long runs.

Most training is on the beach in daytime and it's just dog walkers around then. But always have loads of jeers when running around the roads. Best is when they try to keep up and fail. They'll be back at school soon, but the nights are also lighter now....
  • Options
    Dont get me started on dog walkers! the number of times I have been chased by dogs that arent on leads... i am very scared of dogs!

And the people who block the pavent having a chat and a smoke!

Have been chased by a groups of kids who for some reason think it is funny. They give up after about 2 minutes.

And I have been chased by todlers in wellies while running in the forest...then they trip and I get dirty looks from their parents.

• Options
    It's the groups of people that block the pavement that really wind me up. The amount of times I have had to run out into the road because they had to walk 4 or 5 abreast. Either that or one moves aside at the last minute and then shoots you a dirty look for interrupting their conversation.
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    I've never been chased by a dog, although sometimes they want to run with me.

Perhaps it's a perception thing? If you are afraid of them, you feel that they are chasing you, whereas I feel that they just want to join in?

For groups of dawdlers I just shout "excuse me please" as I approach.
  • Options
    I'm glad someone started this thread as thinking about it I've had a few hecklers whilst out running!

I've had road workers make a few comments, kids telling their parents I'm not running very fast, a rather plump bloke also telling me to run faster whilst he chomps on KFC, which probably does mean I'm a very slow runner!

This weekend's 20 miler was particularly bad. Asides from a knee injury, me and my running partner thought we'd run 13 miles by the River Thames only to be held up by tourists along the southbank. I guess our naivety really but it wasn't a very good long run.

And I also feel really guilty for making a poor woman yelp as she veered in front of me as I ran straight on, so I stuck out my water bottle just to block her a bit.
  • Options
    Ha ha good thread.

Yes have been heckled. At the finchley 20 miler a can was thrown at us and fizzy drink sprayed at us from a passing car!! F'ing yobs.

Last incident was out running with my water bottle belt. Ran past ususal group of YOOTHS at the end of our road and I hear the usual heckling. Then as I kept running I heard something behind me and automatically put mt hand round to check my water bottle hadn't slipped out and there was another hand on my water bottle! Rather shocked and in attack mode I almost hammered a 15 year old girl! Needless to say a quick expletive in her direction and I was off again...

• Options
    It was rainy this morning and there were some kids on bikes coming towards me... splashing in the puddles. I went up onto the grass to avoid them (where there were, of course, no puddles). Nothing was said but they did stare intently at me... Hah! Like I was going to give them the opportunity to splash me (although, to be fair, I was already drenched anyway).

To be honest, though, Grumble, I would never even have considered leaving my water bottle by some spotty kiddy types. Obviously, they shouldn't have done it, but I'm extra wary of any non-running people when I'm running (in general).
  • Options
    Yor're right VSL,

i maybe shouldn't have put the water bottle there coz it was asking for a kid to show off to his mates, but i had to. Call me sad, but it's a kind of superstition - my water bottle goes by that post!

I had a feeling something would happen, but hoped it wouldn't!

Anyway, glad to hear i'm not the only chav magnet in the forum
  • Options
    Mmmm, interesting one
    Isnt it funny how most of the strange looks and comments come from lazy lard a**ses, and people passing in their cars who could have easily walked to where they are going. I am sure there is an element of envy involved. these people basically wish they had the motivation and inclination to do the same, but havent got time inbetween their 60 ciggies and takeaways- (Ohhhh, how bitchy am I??)
  • Options
    Maybe we could visit their homes early in the morning and heckle them as they smoke their first fag of the day !
  • Options
    Yeh, whilst they're eating there left over curry from the night before!!
  • Options
    trouble is most of them arent intrelligent enough to understand that you are taking the p#ss out of them...
  • Options
    I always run with music so people can heckle all they want I'm oblivious
  • Options
    Whilst running with my training partner we were jeered by an idiot who yelled that we were stupid for running and would be dead before we reached 40.

My friend enjoyed the next 5 miles much more than usual - she was 44 at the time !

(I have since reached my 40th birthday - much to my relief)
  • Options
    Whilst doing a 12 mile run a couple of weeks ago i got heckled by a group of policemen attending a car crash. One of them told me that i would have to run faster if i wanted to win any races. I'm not in it to win just finish.
  • Options
    I had a bottle of "yellow liquid" thrown over me the other day by a teenage chav in a chav car. Lets just hope it was fruit juice.
  • Options
    You want chavs, try Deptford! (Or Chavford, if you will...) I've actually been chased after and kicked once and had rocks lobbed at my head on another occasion. Not forgetting of course the daily swearing and abuse. And I'm a 13-stone bloke, so heaven knows what abuse women runners get. Just hope all those McMeals they consume rots them from the inside out! Bad news is... the FLM travels right through this area from miles 7-10. Best be quick!
  • Options
    Ms Li - I was trying to run along the South Bank this weekend too and it was more of a 'dodge the tourist' than a run....definately somewhere to be avoided on bank holidays!
  • Options
    One of the best posts on this forum was on this very subject a couple of years ago. The runner was being heckled by a group of teenage girls in a car as they drove slowly past and I think they got very abusive. A little way up the road they got stopped in traffic and the runner caught up with them again. As he ran past the girl in the passenger seat stuck her head out of the window to hurl some more abuse but our guy was ready for her and he let her have it full in the face with the contents of his lucusade bottle.

He said he had to finish his run without a drink but it was worth it for the startled look on his face. LoL
  • Options
    Will remember that one-Great stuff :0
  • Options
    LOL jenks - I would have loved to have seen that one!
  • Options
    Most my heckles are fairly good natured. The thing that bugs me the most though is the motorists who sound their horn just as they pass you (this is with me on the pavement, so they are not doing it from a safety point of view). Now I'm not of a particularly nervous disposition, but it really makes me jump. Maybe that's the intention!

To this day, I don't understand the mind set of the guy that leaned out of a window and with real malice shouted "Get your knees up you fishing lazy can't". I seemed to be really annoying him for some reason. A very unhappy man!
  • Options
    Windsurfin'Susie,
    they shout because they cant run themselves,
    dont stop them doing their only exercise of their week.
  • Options
    morons the lot of them - continue running in the knowledge that you are better than them in every aspect of your life.
  • Options
    I live in a pretty remote area and run round country lanes which have few signposts. What really bugs me is people in cars trying to get me to stop to give them directions - shouting "Oi" and "excuse me" as I trot along. I know shapewise I don't look like a serious athlete but I wear running kit including reflective vest and carry a drink bottle so anyone with any sense would realise I'm out training and not wanting to stop every few minutes. And don't even start me on people who stand chatting in the swimming lanes at public pools - but that's another storytime!
  • Options
    tea and toast man, beleive me you will not have to worry about the reception you receive on the 17th. all the people in deptford who turn out encourage you 110% loved the bit about the lucozade, wish i had been there. thankfully i have not had any problems in the past with hecklers(i bet i do now) so remember that they are probably jealous because they do not have the ability or determination to do what you are doing!!! good luck to all, KEEP ON RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    but then there's the time I was approaching some teenage girls, expecting some form of heckling. "Are you doing the London Marathon?" they shouted.
    "Yes"
    "Good for you! Go for it!"

I have to say that polite encouragement is far more common round here than abuse. Polite neighbourhood.

I always greet people with a smile and a wave. You get less abuse that way. Either that or they think you're a nutter!
  • Options
    Awww, that's really nice Susie.

Where do you live and can I come and live in such a running-friendly place?!
  • Options
    another dave wood - my dad is also dave wood - there seem to be dave wood's everywhere...was one in a seminar group when i was at uni too!