Emergency 6 week schedules

13»

Comments

• Don't mind that bit Dips, but don't like King Alfred to the end of Hove Lagoon. The only good bit about that stretch is that it has the best loo in Brighton (sorry Hove actually!)
  • HAVE YOU SEEN THE WEATHER?????? So much for sunny Brighton by the sea! I now have to go out for a 60 minute run and it's sooooooo misty, damp and horrid. It would be so easy just to not bother, but I guess it has to be done!
    Dips - will be running along your dreaded Hove seafront in about 1 hour.
  • Nearly forgot Lennonesque - How's the cold. Is it possible to catch a cold from RW Forum threads?? I felt distinctly groggy this morning. Hope it's not ANOTHER cold!!!! Will let you know how I feel after my 60 mins.
  • Morning everyone - The cold does not seem to have materialised. Guess I'm getting paranoid. Had a great run last night despite the pouring rain. Left foot was a little sore after Sundays mishap, but managed to complete my 60 minutes okay. The only people on Brighton seafront were fellow runners and dog walkers. What a joy - no crowds to dodge round for a change.

Hope everyone else is getting on fine. No one seems to have much to say lately.
    Bye for now
  • Good morning Lyndylou, well hopefully the cold will not materialise now and the foot will get better soon. My runs seem to be going ok however the nerves are really starting to set in.
  • Morning all
    Well I am looking forward to running home from work later today (Should take something like 75 minutes, and no longer hopefully!), especially as my 45 minute run on Tuesday was such a disaster.
    Does anyone else find that their first run of the week is hopeless after the long runs at the weekend? I find I have to walk more than I run, due to the old injuries flaring up, which is really annoying.
  • Hello burtyboy, good to know you are still out there and the runs are going well. Don't worry about the nerves, its all part of the fun - honestly. You probably won't get a wink of sleep the night before. I've never got off before 3am and then have to get up at 6am ready for breakfast which just goes round and round in my very dry mouth. Just remember it's such a great day out and the atmosphere's fantastic.

Hi sproog, Sorry to hear your run on Tuesday didn't go well. When was your long run - Saturday or Sunday? If it was Sunday, maybe you need to give it an extra day before you do your next run.
    My long run is usually Sunday, then I don't go out again 'til Wednesday, then again Friday and a gentle jog on Sauturday to loosen up ready for Sunday. Don't know if that's any help to you.
  • Thanks Lyndylou, yes that's proabbly a much better plan. I did run Sunday this weekend, legs still felt very heavy on Tuesday, so maybe it wasn't such a good plan to go out again.
    I think I may leave tonights run until tomorrow and see if that helps at all. Whenever I have a run like Tuesdays it always fills me with dread that I am never going to be able to complete the FLM.
    Must put positive thinking hat on!
  • Listen to my voice (or tapping keyboard). You will complete the FLM, you will complete the FLM, you will complete the FLM zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    YES ..... YOU WILL COMPLETE THE FLM.

After all this hard work do you really think you are gonna give up? I think not!!! Just remember you don't have to run it all. This is my 4th time and I have never run all of it yet. Had wanted to make this one last attempt at runing all the way, but life being what it is means that training has again not been enough, but I WILL GET ROUND!!
  • It's gone very quiet out there again. Has everyone given up before the start?
    Have had to have more time off as back is aching like mad from carrying 2 year old grand daughter around on Saturday. Looks like I won't be doing any more long runs before the day.
    Will try and do an hour or so tomorrow and see how it goes.
    What is everyone else up to?
  • Hi everyone,
    The cold kind of went as quickly as it came, thank God, so I managed 2.5 hours on Sunday, 40 mins yesterday and will do an hour tomorrow. Hoping to do another 2.5 on Saturday. I can't say I feel like I'm going to cruise round or anything, but I am sure I'll finish unless something disastrous happens! No walking under ladders for me. One question I have - is there anyone else looking to get round in 5-5.5 hours on the run/walk method but who is setting off from the blue start? I am, but I noticed there is no RW pacer group for this finish time at the blue start. Red start only it seems. Bah!

Hope training is going well for you all.
  • Hi Everyone
    Glad you got over the cold okay Lennonesque. My back is still making sure I can't get any last minute training in. Had a session at the Chiro's yesterday and might need to go back tomorrow or Monday. But hey - will still be there and get round.
    I too was planning on joining the run/walk pace group at the Blue start. Was a shock when I saw your thread and had to double check my Runners World mag. Help - what do we do now?
    My number is 11866 and I will be wearing an Alzheimers Society Stampeders blue vest or T shirt with the name Lynda on it. Are you really as Lennonesqe as your photo - if so you shouldn't be hard to spot.
    Does anyone want to form a run/walk group at the blue start? Think I'll start a new thread.
  • Lennonesque - started my thread and got a reply from Rob Spedding at RW straight away - they have got a pacer after all, so all is not lost. Feel much happier now.

See ya on 17th
  • Hello everyone
    Apologies for the radio silence!
    I'm sorry to hear about your back Lyndylou, rest up and make sure arrive at the start in one piece.
    And lennonesque, I'm glad the cold cleared itself up nice and quickly. I am on a massive Vitamin C drive at the moment and am avoiding anyone who might have even a sniffle! not very easy when you have to commute in to work on packed trains every morning.
    I myself am resting up now as I did a ten mile race on Sunday and the old injury seems to have come back to claim me. I'm hoping by keeping off it, it will calm down and recover a bit. Otherwise I am going to be on a diet of ibroprofen and paracetemol on race day!
  • Hi Sproog - good to have you back. Not easy to rest up when I've got three young grandkids with me all day today. Especially when the latest back problem was caused by the youngest - 2 yrs old - wanting to be carried by grandma last Saturday. Still, at least it got me out of my 18 miler on Sunday. Would rather not have the bad back though.
    Think I'll go and raid the freezer for an ice pack now and see how it goes. Don't know if the little'uns will let me sit down for long enough for it to have any effect.
    Hope your injury sorts itself out okay.
  • Maybe the littlies can help out by playing "be kind to grandma and make sure the ice pack sits at exactly the right spot on her back"!
    My niece is very good at clambering over my back, which I suppose is mildly massage like! She is only two and weighs almost nothing.
    I'm disappointed to hear that you are starting at the Blue start. I was hoping to meet you in person. I'm at the red start (number 44736) so perhaps our two pacer groups may meet at some point when we merge!
  • Will look out for you if we merge - you shouldn't be hard to miss looking like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Great news that there's a GYR pacer at blue start.

You sound ready for action Lyndylou! I look nothing like john lennon, so no point in searching out granny glasses and hippy hair.

Have a great run Sunday. My number is 22277 (i think) Lots of 2's and a couple of 7's...hope to see you in the pacer group.
  • Hi Lennonesque - Will definitely be with the pacer group. Had a good 30 minute run on Monday but have a splitting headache this morning so will probably give today's run a miss until tonight - dehydrated I think. Have got a pre marathon massage booked for this afternoon so am looking forward to that.
    Hope to pick you out on Sunday - don't forget to say hello if you spot me.
  • Hi everyone - Hope all goes well on Sunday. Feel like I've got a cold coming - perhaps it's just paranoia. Hope so.

Signing off until after the race as off to work now and then up to London first thing in the morning.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE - HOPE TO SEE YOU IN BLUE START PEN 9
  • Good luck Lyndylou and everyone else on this thread.

I'm sure we will all get to the end on one piece.

Thank you all for your words of advice.

Enjoy!
  • Hi all - so how was it for you? I really enjoyed the day - great weather and the crowds were amazing, definitely the loudest I've heard at the event.

I started running 5, walking 1, then tried running 10 walking 1, before dropping back to running 5 and walking 1 from about 16 miles. Took it steady and crossed the line in 5:36 which was what I expected.

It was the slowest but defintely the most enjoyable marathon I have run - there must be a lesson in there somewhere.
  • Hi everyone - wasn't it a great day! I had a disaster at 11 miles with a stomach upset. Something that had never happened to me before. After THREE toilet breaks which put Paula's to shame I was able to carry on, albeit only slowly. Ended up walking the last 10 miles and took 6:50 - how slow!
    Never mind, I did it, but that was definitely my last. After 4 FLMs I'm giving up the Marathons and keeping to the halves and 10 milers with the odd 10K as well.
    Hope you all had a great day and it lived up to your expectations.
    To anyone who was looking for me at the blue start - I ended up at the red with some old friends I had travelled up with.
    Keep on running!
  • 5.57.04 and feel much better than last year 35 mins off last time!