Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Baldyfrombangor - thanks for the encouraging words.......
  • Hi everyone good luck at Larne. Iam off to Liverpool for the weekend. 20 miles this morning took me 3:20 I though I would go faster but couldn't get going. Couple of days rest may help. Back then for the final push for Belfast. This will be my first Belfast marathon. Ran London three years ago and will be happy if I get near 4 hours.
    Keep on running Chris I don't consider my self a fast runner but just enjoy getting out there and doing it.
  • Edinburgh great run. shame arthurs seat has been removed it was some start to 26m. tis not a flat course, the middle cycle path and sea front is flat but the beginning and the last 2/3m are hard work.

will be in the north down or forum colours tomorrow so give me a nod james.
  • Hi everybody - It was a great day for a run in Larne. The weather was excellent but on the return run there's always a stiff breeze. I thought the breeze was stronger than the one in Stranraer.

It was nice to meet you James - I didn't recognise you until I was talking to Hugh Boyle - he didn't know your surname but the penny dropped when he said that you had travelleled with him. How did your Race go?

Ian I didn't see you today but I'm sure you and James had good fast runs,

I was pleased as I did it slightly under 1 hr and 53 mins. I found the last mile to be very tiring but I was content with my time.

I'll take a couple of days off now for a rest.

Kenny Liverpool won - I'm sure you enjoyed the match.

Good luck to you all in your training, Regards, Seamus.
  • Well done seamus, i was looking out cor both you and james and alas, missed you both.

dont know about the wind being stronger but it got you about a mile earlier in larne than stanraer. just as you turned off the coast road at mile 5, woosh.

how about your run james??

still i was fairly happy, 1.26.18 and i had a hard weeks training behind me.

Well sort of, i went out and did a steady 16 today, managed 58m running last week and 15 on the bike!!

Queens 5k and laganside are next.

the tweaked mara course was being measured today, believe it involves sandy row, grosvenor rd, underpass under westlink, divis st, carrick hill, north queen street. will update when know more

Lucky result for the reds kenny!
  • Hi James

Fermanagh calling. I am new to running and also to this website and have just come across your thread. I have just fininshed week five of a ten week walk/run plan outlined in a book I bought last year and forgot about! I have never run before and am surprised to find I am quite enjoying it. Being overweight and quite unfit to start, I think it will be a while before I am entering any races. I will keep on plodding and maybe next year!

• James et al

Wasn't able to make it to Larne - would have liked to see what taking part in a race is like - especially over a distance I know I can at least finish.

Falling slightly behind the marathon schedule - have my long run to do today but after ten miles on Saturday got a twinge behind the knee which didn't go away but didn't get any worse for the last two miles.

Hello Geraldine - I'm relatively new to this running thing too - it's funny how it gets its hooks into you. Good luck.

If the new marathon route takes in Sandy Row, etc, what bit of the earlier proposed route is going?

• James - yes, I'm in the marathon (my race no is 50) - decided to do it after it went past our house last year - and then they went and changed the route! Longest run so far is 19 miles at about 8-9 minutes a mile, but getting slower and slower the longer I run, so I optimistically predict about 4-ish hours if the legs hold up......I'm enjoying the training though, especially now the weather's better. That winter stuff borders on the masochistic.
  • Hi everyone back from Liverpool my calfs are sore with all the walking going out for a run later to see if they loosen up.
    Glad to hear you all enjoyed Larne I was thinking about you when I was at the match.
    Got my number for Belfast (522). Chris I ran 20 miles last week was looking to run about 9 - 9.5 min mile pace but ended up doing 10 min miles. When you are training for the marathon you are always running tired with all the miles you are putting in training. On the day of the marathon you will feel a lot fresher if you taper and don't do too much the last couple of weeks.
    Hi Geraldine gald to hear from a new runner. You should perhaps pick a race to give you something to aim for. Something short like a 5K or 5 mile.
  • Hi Kenneth. I am too scared to enter a race yet although I have been trying to find something short like a 5k for around the end of the year. I walked the Flora Dublin ladies 10k last year and am doing the same again on 6th June. My goal is to run it next year!
  • Baldy you'll have to slow down for the camera man good pictures of you and James on the Larne AC website.
    Good luck in Dublin Geraldine are you going to walk and jog & walk this year.
  • yes Kenny, i scared myself when i looked on the north down web site and saw my own ugly mug!!

Chris, what about joining club, great if you can get a friendly one, beats always running alone. i go for the social run as i spend all week on my own :-(

***STOP PRESS***

unofficially official tweaked route:

city hall, law courts, ravenhill rd, DOWN ormeau rd, sunnyside st, holy lands, botanic gdns, bradbury pl, sandy row, grosvenor rd, falls, divis st, castle st, royal ave, as it was to end of coastal path, duncrue straight to whitla st, rest as it was too.

still waiting for my no :-((

• Didn't go too well with yesterday's long run - was aiming for 19 but ended up only doing 17 - just suddenly got really really tired at 14 miles and couldn't run through it....is this a bad sign for the marathon? Mind you, the weather was unbelievable - started in rain, then sun, then hailstones....no excuse though

BaldyfromBangor - definitely thinking about a club - any recommendations people want to make on a public forum like this one?
  • James Coleraine train on a Monday and Wednesday 6.00 from the Sports Centre at the Uni. We are doing hills in Ballymoney tonight.
    Chris have you tried enery gels and do you carry a drink. I find the gels give me a boost when I am feeling tired and once you become dehydrated you start to feel tired.
    Do you live in Belfast Chris?

• Kenneth - funnily enough, I was thinking about carrying a drink during yesterday's run - but I do find it awkward - have you tried a belt or anything like that? I live in east Belfast.
  • I have a belt which holds a 500ml bottle which I usually fill with Lucozade it has a pocket for a moble phone which holds 2 go gels. I find this a great help on long runs. Takes a bit of getting used to but once your wear it a few times you don't realy notice it. Some people go out the day before and find a safe place to leave drinks. You could also organise your long runs to go past a friends house or carry money and go into a shop. Its important that once you go over 10 miles to have a drink.
    There are a number of clubs in Belfast if you look on the Federation website. I don't know them well enough to recomend one. In East Belfast you are not too far from Baldy club North Down in Bangor.
  • See you later James.
    East Antrim Harriers are in Ballyclare.
  • Sorry for the delay Kenneth, I am walking in Dublin. Big scaredy cat that I am!
  • Belfast clubs:

willowfield - competitive, not so many of us slower guys

annadale - ditto

north down - bangor, all ages, all abilities, mon night 730pm for fun and frolics!!! www.northdownac.co.uk

lagan valley - mary peters track, friendly and also good set up.

CIYMS - not the busiest
  • i tend not to use water except on 20 plus runs where i plank water the night before in bags.

those belts are a personal thing, i cant get used to them.

am starting numbers and times list on the mara thread, oh and a social after :-))
  • Hi everybody - I just plod along on my own as it suits - by the time I would drive to a club and back I would have covered 5 miles. However I know I could improve if I was put under pressure to tag along with slightly faster runners - I mean 8.5 min milers. My ambition is sometime to run a marathon under 4 hours. I've completed 8 marathons and 9 half marathons in the last 2 and a 1/2 years. My times don't improve that much, but the are improving slightly.

I did 1 hour on the treadmill tonight whilst watching the Liverpool match. Liverpool's second goal was classy.
  • Hi Seamus good result I can't believe that was the same team I went to see on Saturday. Running with a club would help or if you could get some one close to run with about you speed or sligthly faster would also help. Even running with a club once a week can make a big difference. I find when Iam running by myself I tend to run in the comfort zone and don't push myself hard enough. I think you will get close to 4 hours or even break it this year.