Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Haven't posted for a while to this thread but wanted to react to the various points about a running club. I've been plodding along on my own too and haven't really been getting any faster. Was a bit scared to join a club as I might not be fast enough. But if you don't join, you'll never get faster as the comfort zone thing is probably true...

Might give Lagan Vally or North Down a go then after my knee has healed. Did my first proper long run of 15 miles and got injured. Hopefully I can still do a relay leg...:-(
  • Hi James, think we're all in the same boat with work. (And I'm doing evening classes...) The knee is better today and I will do some cycling walking/running on the treadmill this evening, followed by sports massage. See how that works out.
  • Hi James steady run tonight about 7 miles
  • Hi everybody. Kenny I doubt if I can crack 4 hours in Belfast - but I'll give it a go. Mind you I always have that intention but at mile 18 -20 its easy to go into the comfort zone again. I find the last hour or so in the marathon draining on the body.

James we'd better meet before the marathon as you'd have a long wait on me after it. Its good to run though. I'm doing the Programme 4 on the Horizon treadmill and its very tough. It goes to gradient 5 at times. I find it a good challenge but I need to be watching football or listening to fast music in order to keep going.

Ian and Chris and Jape Good luck in your training.
  • Hi there just joined runners world. I live in Derry and just wondered where everyone is from. Any women out there?
  • Hi Calypso I am from Ballymoney and as far as I know we are all males so it will be good to get some female input. Are you training for any races?
    Were did our spring weather go to its bitter cold out there. Hope it warms up for Sunday as I plan to do 20 miles.
    Hi Jape stick at it when you stop its very hard getting back. Do you find that sports massage helps?
    Seamus I think in the marathon a lot of the problems are in the head you have to keep thinking positive and no matter how bad your run is its an achievement to have run the distance. Do you use the treadmill a lot, I find them very boring prefer to be out on the roads.
    James have a good weekend have a Guinness for me.
  • Hi there Calypso - another female here! I've just joined up to the site too. I'm not in a club - mostly run on my own or sometimes with a friend and currently working my way through the RW Half Marathon schedule to aim for a 2hr Lisburn Half Marathon - last year was my first and did 2hrs 8 mins. Finding the speed sessions a bit tough (and have somehow managed to hurt my hip following my run last night) but I guess I have to do something if I want to improve my times. Booked in for the Great North Run in September too!
  • Ah good to hear. I am training for the Great North Run. I have been running steedy now for the past few years but only as a means to keep fit and never really bothered doing more than 5km each time I ran. but at christmas I saw an add for the Great North Run and decided to do it and also raise money for a local charity at the same time.

This will not be my first 1/2 marathon as I did a few in my late teens when I lived in South Africa. but that was over 10 years ago.

I am using the RW training schedule and finding it easy enough.

I will keep you posted.

I have been doing all my running on the treadmill though and I know it isnt the same as running on the road but with the weather we get i wont go out until it clears up a bit.
  • Hi VanFan welcome to our forum. I hope to do Lisburn this year. I have run it the last two years and find it a tough enough course. Doing the speed work with your friend may help, it difficult to do on your own but stick at it and you will see thew benifit. The RW schedules are very good, my sister used one last year and ran a PB at the Great North Run.
    Good luck with your training.
  • hi all, welcome VF and Calypso

greetings from north down.

Jape you would be most welcome at north down, as would you Chris. Mon nights 7.30, its fun and social and sometimes hard but everyone helps everyone. no airs and graces. From 14 - 64 yrs guys and gals.

email me if you are interested.

Club handicap trail race tomorrow, 3m but lots of hard uphill. Big 22m on sun. intend to do the N'Abbey part of the mara course next week.

happy running
  • What you all doin?

had a great run this morning, the club runs a handicap on the trail route in crawfordsburn used for the race in Sept, if youve done it you will know how hard it is, if not come along this year!!

heading out soon to leave my water for tomorrows run at strategic points, hopefully the wind will die down, the north down coast is prettty breezy at he mo.

am also a RW schedule user it has sone me well, down form 3.44 to 3.00 in 2 years of mara running :-))
  • KB, thanks for the encouragment. Sports massage helps a bit, if anything it loosens tight muscles. Turns out though I've twisted knee, so I'm off the roads for now. Did an hour treadmill this morning at very slow pace.

Don't want to force it cause main plan this year is New York or Dublin if not accepted for NY. Anybody doing Dublin?

Thanks for invite Baldy. I'm doing evening classes until June and will join up after that (probably means after summer). Work in Dundonald, so should be ok.

Welcome VF and Calypso.
  • Welcome, Jape, VF and Calypso. I did a long run of 20 miles today in 3hrs 14 mins. I was happy enough as I was wearing a running jacket over my 'T Shirt'. I think its my best time for a home 20 miler training run.

Ian - That's a great time for a marathon. You must put in the work at training.

Kenny and James - How's the training going?

Good luck to everbody. I've just noticed that the weather this week remains fairly cool.
  • Hi everyone did 20 miles this morning weather much better. 3:15 had company for 15 miles last 5 were tough on my own. Keep it going Seamus is this your last 20 before Belfast?
    Hope the knee is feeling a bit better Jape. I have not made any plans for the rest of the year waiting to see how I feel after Belfast. Was thinking about the Great South Run (10 miles) in Portsmouth in October as I didn't get into the Great North. Have had a few sports massages will have one the week before the marathon.
    How did your 22 miler go Ian?
    How was Donegal James will you have recovered for Tuesday night?
    Have you been doing anything girls?
  • Kenny - You did well in this morning's 20 miler. Its hard to keep pushing yourself during those long runs - I always have it in my mind that I will push much harder it the marathon.

I don't know Kenny - But I might do another 20 miler next weekend. It gives it to be warmer next weekend. I'll definitely do 15 miles.

• Kenny - good going! Lovely day for running. I'm in work today, so long run has to wait until tomorrow. It was very windy running in Belfast on Friday - can't say I'd look forward to running the loughshore in those conditions on May 2, but I suppose we can't choose.
  • Chris I am hoping for a cool day with very little wind but whats the chance of that in this country. Heat and wind are two of the thing I dislike.
    Any body know what the new course is and is it still flat?

• Kenny - the new route is on the Belfast marathon web-site - but I'm afraid there's a run up the Grosvenor Road.....
  • Hello all. I'm a NI exile currently living near Manchester. Thinking about coming home for good, so grateful for the info on the North Down club (thanks baldy). I've completed a couple of half marathons, but much prefer the 10k distance over 9min mile. Does the club cater for lazier runner like myself? Thanks.
  • Ash, we cater for all, ages from 15 - 67 so eeverything goes, no airs and graces with us!!

managed 22 in 2.32 today and twas breezy along the coast. nice ice cold baff after too!!!!

Jape I think i will be doing dublin again, going for the run this year as i am racing cardiff 3 wk before it.

anyone runnign laganside on sunday???
  • Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
    I was out this evening and did 8 miles at just about 10 min mile pace - bought a heart rate monitor last week so was my first run with it...need to work out the zone thing so I don't keep beeping for miles and miles!

Is the Laganside 10k for all abilities, or can us slower ones come along too?

• Laganside's a 10k and is suitable for all abilities VF, I did too last year and I'm not that fast. I'll not be doing it this year because of the knee but it was well organised.
  • Hi VF Langanside 10K has a lot of top runners but there are also quite a few slower runner usually a big field.
    I don't think I'll be there.
    Your going well Baldy but you looked under pressure in the pic from the handicap race. Is that your last 20 mile + run before the marathon? I have tried the cold baths the wife thinks I am mad.
    James you missed a god run yesterday beautiful morning see you tomorrow night
  • Flipin heck you guys, your training is serious stuff, well done! Think you need to find the balance, with some of the Goldschlager approach mentioned above (like it!). When is the marathon?
  • Ash mara will be over 3wks today and we will be drinking again:-))

Laganside 10k is a great run for all, its a big crowd so you get pulled along no matter what your ability. Its 100% FLAT so good for those looking a PB:-))

Oh and its after the FLM too so you get to sit and watch that all morning first.

Kenny handicap was tough, i presume you know the course!! The wee guy in the picture had 7 mins start on me over 3m. He pushed me to the end. It would not be so bad but i train him on a mon night!!
  • Hi everybody - You all seem to be doing well.

James those 'goldschalgers' would be very useful in the last 6 miles of the marathon - the sugar in them would give plenty of energy and the gold could be used to motivate to lift a gold medal.

I did 47 miles last week with a long run of 20 miles. I think I'l do similar milage this week and maybe another 20 mile long run.

Best of luck to everybody.