Last Minute Cold!!!!

I went to bed last night with a sniffly nose. This morning I've woken up with a blocked nose, sore throat and eachache.
I stayed clear of all illnesses going so this is just my luck !.
I have been getting run down down in the past fortnight.
Does anyone have any advice ?.
What should I do about my runs this week ?.
I guess I shpould just eat well and get plenty of rest ?
Help !!!!

Comments

• Dont do any runs: they wont do you any good at this stage, just harm. Rest, drink plenty of fluids and eat plenty if you can. I always find Lemsip Max helps me to shake off colds more quickly.. oh.. and lots of vitamin C. Be grateful it has happened today and not on Sunday!
  • I wouldnt run anymore this week and get yourself a tonic from the health shop it may help
  • I think you should just relax and give them a miss because all of the hard work is behind you now. I had flu a couple of weeks ago and even though it was in the crucial last few weeks, I gave myself a rest to avoid it getting any worse. I haven't been a runner for very long so my advice is probably rubbish, but am just guessing that as FLM is only 4 days away, rest is the best thing ( and loads of vitamin c!). Now I'll just think about how I'm going to get round...
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    If you know a good acupuncturist, I have had startlingly good results with acupuncture in warding off colds.
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Oh, and rest
    and rest
    and rest,
    and when you have done that,
    rest.

You might consider going back to bed with War And Peace, or the collected works of Dickens.
  • I sympathise, I've been fine for months while training and yesterday I woke up with a thick head and aches. My family and friends think it's nothing to worry about but i'm really peed off. However I am running regardless that's for certain. I'm taking loads of vitamin c, zinc and echinacea and i'm off down the healthfood shop at opening to see what tonics i can get. I am taking comfort in the fact it's happened now and not on saturday!

fingers crossed for all of us!
  • Good advice re: acupuncture. I'm booking up, I had acupuncture when I was really ill with glandular fever and my symptoms always were better for a few days after i went.
  • Slow Noo

"However I am running regardless that's for certain."

No, No, No, No, No, NO!

2 years ago my family all had colds and snuffles on the weekend before FLM. I didn't get any symptoms at all. Felt fine on the morning. Was walking by halfway and had to crawl in the last few miles.

However what really hurt was that the stress of running a marathon seemed to "embed" the virus and it affected my running until the early autumn. At one stage I couldn't even do 6 miles without stopping (I'd done 3:33 the previous year).

I even went for all kinds of tests which came back fine. I'm facing the same dilema as you this year, my cold came on late last week, I'm over it but not sure if I'm well enough to race 26.2 miles. I'm **cked of as anything, but I'm seriously considering deferring and doing another marathon a week or so after the FLM.

The marathon will be there next year and there's lots of others in the meantime. Listen to your brain (and the rest of your body) not your heart on this one.

I hope you are better forthe day. Good luck..

Simon
  • Okay Simon, enough said! Will continue to dose myself up and rest and see how I feel. It's my first marathon and has become such a big deal that I will be so bitterly disapointed to miss it. Never mind. What will be will be.

Hope you feel okay,
  • Glad its not just me then.

Its my first ever marathon and training has gone really well - now this!!

I spent Monday evening and until mid morning Tuesday in bed with hot and cold sweats, a head-ache and sore throat. Thankfully no vomiting so I was able to concentrate on staying hydrated. I was tossing and turning in frustration having read the RW newsletter editor's comments "don't run if you've had flu symptoms in the past week"!!

Then come yesterday lunchtime I had perked up no end and felt full of energy. Against my wife's wishes I went to the gym and did 30 minutes on the treadmill followed by 10 minutes in the steam room. Probably not best for my body but it certainly made my mind feel better.

Anyway, back to work today with a sniffle and the odd bout of sneezing! I'm continuing to dose myself up with vitamin C and fully intend competing on Sunday.

I had felt quite lethargic during this taper but strangely enough I feel quite energetic now despite red nose!!

Its all or nothing for me. I intend this to be my only shot at marathon distance so I would be gutted to miss out at this late stage.
  • Pull yourselves together, the lot of you, there's a marathon to run.

That said, I too have been feeling a little 'under the weather' (there it is again, that word 'weather' - bah!) last couple of days, sniffles, throat etc. Joking aside, it's v common I think but it's just a cold after all. Follow the above and you'll be fine, we'll all a bit knackered after hard training. Also, psychosomatic (puts dictionary back on desk) 'illness' often goes hand in hand with anxiety. Positive thinking helps: fight it - we've come this far! Get well soon, all.
  • I woke up with a cold this morning too- it could be worse- like waking up on saturday or sunday morning with a cold! You will be over it by Sunday.
  • Mmmmm I've had a bad throat for 4 weeks, 2 lots of antibiotics haven't shifted it. Left with a dry cough now, but running reasonably well. If it gets no worse, I run!
  • My wife has had a cold for the last few days and now I have it too. We are both running on Sunday though, plenty to eat and drink as well as vit C and echinacea tablets.
  • Hello peeps,

I have slight cold too, which came on last Thursday - fingers crossed I should be okay for Sunday.

Sods law, managed to avoid all the bugs, virus and colds going around for months and now it's finally got me.

Good luck all for Sunday.
  • I think my mind is playing tricks! Did a gentle 3 miles yesterday (to work off some chocolate) and everything hurt- knees, hips, had stitch - I probably ignore it usually. Have slept in the spare room for last 2 nights to try and avoid hubbie's cold but now I think I'm getting it - just going out to get some multivitamins! Will probably fall off the kerb and twist my ankle now....
  • All of you with colds - do the whole rest/fuids/vit C thing - and DEF go and get some ethinecea!! It works like a blinkin charm!

Good luck!
  • Fancy

Where can we get ethinecea? What form does it come in?

Thanks (sniff)
  • No doubts - get ethinecea!!!
  • Just go to Boots or any health shop and get the tablets - Boots do their own which are OK - they are usually with all the vitamins etc. I usually take it when I feel a cold coming on and while it does not stop it completely it seriously helps and stops it getting worse. If you already have a cold - take it anyway it really helps the symptoms and makes you feel better... You are supposed to take it for a few weeks and then have a week off but I usually just take it when I feel a cold coming on - have been taking it all week anyway in fear of the dreaded lurgy!!
  • I've just been to boots to get some.
    They come in tablet form, 3 day a day for about £4.50.
    See I'm being good, no running.
    I actually feel bad though, is that a bit sad !
  • RW ran a good article about this time last year. In summary it said it the cold is in throat or above, then run. If it's below the neck, then don't.

• Reading the above thread has made me feel so much better as I felt a cold starting on Saturday which got worse Monday/Tuesady and have been totally depressed about whether it would mean dropping out of Sunday - which I would have hated to do after all the training

I know I am over the worse of it now so feel confident I will make it to the start line OK - and make it round - particularly as I am a slow plodder who is not after breaking any records!

Good luck to all and hope you all feel fine come Sunday morning (and Sunday PM!!!)