A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Got number today, and as I always put random times on entry ended up with Pen 8!

Most likely take first few miles steady then!

Good luck all.

Woj
  • Hi everyone

Just wanted to wish you all luck. Have a great day and hope to see you around the course or maybe at the start!

Believe you can do it and you will!

Booner
  • Been away - just adding my details. Would be great to meet anyone else aiming for 3:45.

Pete26.2 - Red start pen4, white tshirt under yellow help the hospices vest. PETE on front GILBO on back. age 34 6ft3 dark hair (what's left of it!) no 50867

Beders (pete) White Epilepsy Action vest with red and blue stripes down the side. 'PETE' on the front and 'BEDERS' on the back, 5ft 6ins chubby late 40's guy (although still got all my own hair just the rest of me looks old))

Prohibition-Euphoria (Danny) - White mizuno top, blue hoops on sleeves. 'RUNNING FOR VIS' wriiten on back. DANNY written on front.

Tallguy (Steve) - Red "CRY" vest, "Steve" on front. "Tallguy" on back. 6'3", balding, goatie!

Woony (Jayson)- Red Start- Lime Green and Purple Asthma UK vest with Black Shorts-Long hair by my standardss due to a finish time bet with work collegues,winner getting to shave my head however they see fit,all for a good cause?

PPB-I'll be wearing a bright orange shirt with black shorts with "Martin" on the front and "Ping Pong Boy" on the back. So if you come by me when I'm suffering after I set off too quick I expect a Hello

Cathy Burke-I'll be wearing my club vest - red, blue and white, very patriotic - Wadhurst Runners with Cathy on the front

JFH - black shorts, club vest - mainly white, Erme Valley Harriers on the front - plus matching friend

MsFit (Vickie) – White/bright green “Samaritans” vest that says “Am I running fast enough?” on the back. Running in a beige baseball cap

Mightos -Red Start - I'll be wearing a purple charity vest (chest, heart and stroke Scotland) with Linda on the front and Mightos Bella on the back - in glitter!!

Simon Knighton - Red Start I'll be wearing a Heart Runners red top with SIMON on the front and black New Balance shorts

Colin - Southport Waterloo AC vest (royal blue with yellow chest band)

Steve Jolly - Blue start, lilac 'Dreams Come True' tee shirt with purple balloons on it (nice!!) - Steve on front and JOLLY on back - good luck everyone.

Moggie (Anne) - light blue & black "Aldridge Running Club" Vest - Anne on the front if I remember, with very suntanned limbs courtesy of Tenerife. Plus a Garmin brick strapped to my wrist

Ross (Ross) - Macmillan green vest with name on the front and back, blue shorts. Garmin brick also on wrist, and red Nathan bag

Booner - Blue Start - Green and black vest for the Eating Disorders Association (www.teamperry.co.uk) with the words "Booner" on the front and back. Blue Nike shorts. If you see me, give me a shout!

BD - Black top with concurve written on the back, and a silly red logo above it. Eric Morcombe shorts (as I'm told by BB)

StephenV - purple running vest with 'The Childrens Trust' on front Stephen on front and back, blue shorts and sunglasses

Woj - Red Sandhurst Joggers vest with Woj or Piet on the back. I may put on a piccy of my icon 'Spotty Dog' on my back

Good luck everyone!
  • Hi All, been on night the last few days and not been near the pc.Just had to try n speed read thru.......I dont know how many posts!?!

Deano 42 ,glad to hear from you mate.Sorry to hear about yr injury bud.I got turned down by the Ballot and Brigade Myself aswell Gota raise £1500 for the pleasure of running this year! Martin is running aswell this year and hes in the best shape Ive seen him in.Thou hes thinking of going of at 8:15m/m?????????????? Thats a bit silly despite how good shape hes in.Hope he proves me wrong and does well.I dont tell him that thou! Take it easy.

Finally got to register on Fri morn after nights.Was on the Massage table at about 12:30 when I remembered thats the time when people are meeting up??? Looked out for PPB just b4 13:00 as I was leaving as hes the only face I can remember. Due to the fact that I as couldnt remember exactly where people were meeting this was not easy. Anyhow hope to c u all on the day.

Can't believe they say the weather gona be sunny now?Wheres the rain to keeep be cool?

Saw something about meeting up on the RED START, didnt catch where??? The Bandstand was used last year! I'm in PEN 4 (34112) By the way, lots like I may have to drop back a pen or two if some of us r to run together!

Take care every body,lotsa Pasta and early to bed.

Woony

• That should of read NIGHTS SSSSSSS Mm???
  • Woony.. Shame about missing you at the expo. We've not really decided on a meeting point for the red start. Band Stand sounds as good a choice as any - though I'm not sure where that is. The first train I can get from here to London gets in to Charing X at about 7.53am, so I reckon I should be at Greenwich around 8.30'ish and the red start by about 8.50. I'll try to get to the bandstand if time isn't too tight.
  • Hi everyone, haven't posted on here for ages, just like to wish you all the best of luck for tomorroz, I have unfortunately just caught a cold, my throat is hanging out but I am still going for it but not worrying about my time now (well not too much anyway).

I will be at Red Start Pen 6 Number 46417, white t-shirt with two cartoon kids on front, black shorts & Nick on front.

Good luck, hope to see a couple of you.

Nick
  • My last posting before the day - very best of luck all, I've enjoyed the chat and the support has really helped...

The knee thing has more or less put paid to the sub 3.45 plan but I'm still going to try to get round in a decent time if I can!

One last plate of spaghetti, a few tabs, a Patt Strap and some cold spray to go...then I'm ready for 9.45!

The very best of luck to you all in your challenge - you can do it!!!!!
  • Tallguy (and all who wana get together)I shall Try to get to the Bandstand for about 08:45hrs. An hour should be more than enough.

PPB, Sarah, Bedders et all. Donna did the Paris last Sunday in 4:02:50. She ran it very comfortably (despite dodging the Banana skins n Orange peel on the floor, can you believe they hand out Bananas on route)and is already wanting to run another Marathon. Hopefully she will join us again for the FLM 06.

Off to Mummy Woonys house now so to be near a LUL Station come the Morning. Hopefully will use little sis Woony PC so to post one last post b4 the BIG DAY.

Sleep well tonight people....Horlicks for me I think!

Woony
  • Woony - Thanks for the update on Donna. It's great to hear she's still running well.

Last post before race day for me. I just liek to say thanks to everyone for the support this year. If I don't see you at the church before the start then I hope to see you on route or at "X,Y,Z" at the end. Remember to look out for Sarah Gregory near the Robin Hood Pub just before 11 miles as our 3:45 supporter on route.

Have a great run.

PPB. aka Martin
  • Right thats me off for one last bowl of pasta b4 bed and a nice mug of Horlicks. Up at 0700hrs 2moro to kick some butt round Londinium.

Happy running people.

Woony
  • First post race report:

It was far too hot for me today. I made halfway in 1:52 having ran the first 9 miles at an excellent 8:20 pace with Running Man (Dave) but I suffered badly and ran/walked the second half in over 2:20 to finish in about 4:13 overall. A winters training in Aberdeen is not the best preparation for todays heat.

It was great to meet folk before the race. During the race among others I met Cathy Burke (twice), Booner, and I finished the race with Prohibition Euphoria (Danny).

I missed everyone except BD after the race. It was chaotic around "W,X,Y,Z" and I stayed there for over half an hour but couldn't find anyone. So sorry if I missed you post race. Sarah G - I did look for you during and after the race but I just didn't see you.

I'll be offline for the next 24 hours or so while I travel back to North Scotland. I expect to come back online to a load of race reports.

Cheers

PPB.
  • Evening

That was too hot, was going well up to 22miles and then it just went very pearshaped!
    1.27for 10miles, 2.54 for 20m I knew sub 3.45 was not possible and just dug in for that sub-4, which I just scraped at about 3.56.32.

MsFit Vicki - I saw you at one point somewhere in the 20's but couldn't keep up.

Crowds were magnificent.
  • Hi everyone - very hot but managed 3 hours, 38 mins beating my PB by 12 minutes! Really pleased. Saw Running man and Ping pong Boy early on and had a chat. Sorry to hear you faded, Ping Pong Boy - you were way ahead of me when I last saw you.

Too tired to write anymore right now but I hope everyone had a good run and I'll be back tomorrow!
  • Well done everyone. Don't know quite what went wrong with me, but struggled with light headedness and general queasyness from about 16 miles. Struggled to finish in 4 hours 40 minutes, so clearly was an imposter on this thread! Still, I'll console myself in that I was only 19 minutes slower than Sir Steve Redgrave! Found the crowds at the repatriation area a bit oppressive, not surprised the meet up plans didn't work out.
  • Good time Booner.
    I ran with PPB for about 9 miles, felt good so pushed on and came in on watch time of 3:39 (would have been 3:37 ish if it had'nt been for the pee stop at 8 miles!!). I was expecting to blow up at around 20 after putting in a 7 min mile for half a mile to catch up to Martin. I expect it was one of those days when life deals you a hand of cards and in my case they were all aces. Saw Ross at the end briefly. Went to WXYZ for about 15mins did'nt see anyone so sorry about that. I had a great weekend. It was nice putting faces to names etc. Just waiting now for official chip time.
  • I had my 5th and most enjoyable FLM so far. Certainly the best crowds.

Kept to 8:30/mile for the first half and eased off a bit, worrying about hitting the wall at 20. It didn't materialise, and I finished strongly in 3:48:11, a PB by 5 minutes.

Convinced I saw Calista Flockhart spectating on the way out to the Isle of Dogs, but I may have been hallucinating.

Well done everybody and see you here (or on the sub-3:30 thread) next year.
  • Well done everyone. It was too hot for me too yesterday and I've been suffering with heat stroke ever since despite plying myself with water all the way round. Was running a sensible 8.45 pace for much of the race but lost it around 18 miles. Reached 20 miles at 3 hours but took over an hour to complete the last 6 finishing in 4.11. Still 25 minutes quicker than last year so can't complain. Just have to enter again next year and with another 25 minutes off I'll be on that 3.45 mark.
    Now to nurse the blisters and black toes!!

• Morning all. It's ironic that my sunburn hurts more than my legs.

I managed 4:03 as I hit the wall at 20 miles. Ran with Steve Jolly until then but suggested we part if he wanted to break 4 hours. I walked a few times for a minute at a time but found the day too hard. Went to the charity recovery centre and lay down for over two hours. However well enough to go to the pub for the usual post race celebration.

That will be my last marathon for the near future as post race experience seems to be getting worse.

Well done to all especially Running Man, Valuxian and Booner for doing so well in warm conditions
  • Hi all - What an unforgettable day. I managed 3.56 which I was very pleased with.

I certainly found out about what running a marathon really means from mile 16 onwards!

Didn't see anyone on the day, but then @I was in a 'Zone' formost of the race.

Stephen
  • Hi all, Well done to everyone who finished in the heat.

I guess I'm going to be well and truly thrown off this thread as I managed to finish in 3.25.44. Everything just turned out right for me on the day, the training in Tenerife probably helped with the weather, as I found it a great temperature to run in. I started at the front of pen4 right behind the RW 8 min mile pacer at the back of pen3. As I'd managed to average 8.02 on my last 22 mile run I decided to try and stick with the pacer. This worked - I stuck to him until mile 23 and was then persuaded to really push the last 3 miles with another runner who had stayed with the pacer. The crowds really helped shouting my name on the last few miles, good tip to put the name on the shirt!

Looks like I'll be back next year with a GFA place, thanks for all the invaluable support over the last few months.

• Whew! That was hot! I'd plans of trying for 3:30 ish, but should have stayed with this thread! I completed with a PB of 3:51:18 (my watch) not bad at nearly 49 I suppose - I'm still waiting to get my official time - I hope my chip wasn't faulty!
    Did anyone else find that they coudln't go as fast as they wanted through the Isle of Dogs? The course may have been faster for the elite, but I'm not convinced that it was for us mere mortals, the bunching up realy slowed the pace.
    Well doen everyone
  • hi all

well done everyone, especially Moggie, wow what a time. Fraid i paid the price for trying to renovate houses days before the race, started slow and got slower, ended up 4.22.28, but at least i got a suntan !! Still a brilliant day, the crowds were immense, nice to see the gang at the start, especially PPB , looks like we're getting older and slower. Will try again next year !!

will chat more when i've got time, well done again

beders
  • Hi All

Tallguy, hope you wasnt waiting for me at the Bandstand for too long. The transport my end went to pot,got to the Bandstand at 0930hrs then still had to change and do the bag thing then get in the Pen? Well done on that time mate, you are not an imposter,these things take time.You'll nock loads of that next year.

PPB, sorry to hear you missed out on sub 4, doesnt really matter when you KNOW you can and have done it.Join me on a serious assult on that Sub3:45 next year mate.

Good to hear a couple of you did it:RM59, Booner and the stunning time from Moggie!

I came in nearer to the times Stev and Woi myself with a watch time of 3:55:56, better than the last 2 years but still some way from my PB of 2002. Didnt see anyone out there but then was a bit self-centred after mile 20 when the pain in my Calfs n Quads caused me to walk a minute per mile then stretch for a min as well at 23/24. Didnt suffer frm the heat too much and felt great CV-wise just had big probs with Muscle stiffness.

Anyhow Well Done everyone, I hope we've all found out the right n wrong sides of our training plans,found out a little about ourselfs and are more determined that ever to go SUB 3:45 in 06.Lets make this thread the one there all taking about.

REST NOW O Great ones, for you have earned it. Massage for me today at 1300hrs......Then back to work 2moro!?!

Woony
  • Well done Lanto and Beders you must of been typing the same time as me.
  • Well done to everyone...it was hot and the kid's factor 35 cream was a big winner and probably every bit as important as the water and lucozade on route.

Every part of me wanted to walk in the last 2 miles having been motivated up to mile 23 where my support was but the crowds were just fantastic all the way along the embankment. Finished in 3.55.21 in the end.

MsFit (Vickie) it was great to see you at the line and share that finishing feeling although will we have to explain the joint photo?
  • Just gone back over the Last Page .Well done Valuxian, Great time(PB) only just outside the goal we all wanted.
  • Hi everyone, well what can I say

High's: the crowds , seeing my wife at mile 22 when I just wanted to curl up & die, & just generally the whole day.

Lows: my calf's really hurting from mile 15 onwards & hitting the wall at about 19 miles.

Too hot for me, sunburnt face & stomach cramps but I will be back next year. Ended up at 4:22:44.

Congratulations to everybody on this thread, regardless of time, for finishing it.

All the best

Nick M.

• By the way - Chip times are posted on the FLM results page, if anyone is still relying on watch times,
  • Probably the BEST (sitting with my tee/shirt and medal while i type!)and worst thing I have ever done.

Ran with Ross for the best part of the way - but Ross, I was at 21 in under 3 hours and still finished after you in 4.10 approx!!.

The heat got to me (bearing in mind the temperatures we've been training in) so I was initially a bit disappointed as my training indicated 3.45 approx.

Had to walk/run for 2-3 miles and felt quite ill, however the crowds towards the end were magnificent and I ran the last 2 miles.

PPB - must have finished quite near you and was good to meet up with a few b4 the race.

Running Man - great run, well done (at least I have your throwaway tee shirt as a souvenir!!)

Feel OK today and on reflection, considering I've only been running for 5 mths and this was my first marathon I do feel a great sense of achievement - knowing that for me, if it was cooler on the day, the last few miles wouldn't have been quite so bad.

Well done all on completing this great event, sorry I couldn't make it to xyz, but I took long enough to get to my family and felt quite rough.

Yesterday - NEVER again, but today whilst watching a tape of bbc coverage, can't wait to do it again!!