No more club places

Heard in the bar last night (from a reasonably reliable source)that there's a possibility that this will be the last year the clubs will get allocated place - so it'll be just the ballot, charidee, GFA or being on Big Brother.

Anyone else heard anything about this?

Comments

• HAVE NOT HEARD ABOUT THIS AND I AM AN AVID SUPPORTER THAT THE LM SHOULD BE FOR THE MAN IN THE STREET BUT RUNNING CLUBS DO A LOT TO PROMOTE THE SPORT AND SO THEY SHOULD HAVE THE BENIFIT OF PLACES.I PERSONALLY THINK THAT ENTRY PLACES SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN TO "CELEBRITIES" JUST BECAUSE THEY THINK THAT THEY ARE FAMOUS, NEITHER SHOULD CHARITES BE ALLOWED TO BUY UNLIMITED " GOLD BOND" PLACES. THESE JUST RESTRICT THE PLACES AVAILABLE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC
  • Dave - looks like you found the caps lock key then ?

I hope it's not true - it would be a big blow to the athletics clubs.

As to the unrestricted gold bond places - that's not correct - there's only so many charity places available, and new charities have to go on a waiting list I believe.

As to the celebrities, I don't think 20 people will change much really.
  • Just adding to what Cougie said - the charity list has been closed now with about 300 waiting for GB places. The simple fact is that the charities that currently have the places never give them up.

I think it would be a shame if the club places were lost. I know there are always arguments about allocation, but at the moment you have opportunities to run FLM if you are either fast (good for age); keen (member of a club); lucky (ballot) or prepared to raise money for charity.