sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Think he had a coronary by-pass and had to give up running.

Good spirit Superm@n.

It helps to get on with planning the next one. Tell the Mrs she will be seeing less of you for the next year and get out on that road!
  • Hi all and well done whatever time you did.

I didn't break the 4 hours either, I tapered too early due to a skiing holiday, I had a head full of snot and it was way too hot.

Got off to a good start from Blue pen 5 b ut it was congested and the first 2 miles took 9.40 each. It would have been very hard to run quicker though due to the crowding. By mile 10 I was only a minute down on my pace times (3.55) but by half way (1.58)I knew I couldn't maintain the pace. Took a couple of short walk breaks after 20 miles and finished with a PD of 4.12.13 whcih is a huge improvement on 2003 (4.27).

All along the embankement I was thinking NEVER AGAIN but I'm already thinking about next year.
  • I got the bug.

In a mad five minutes I've entered New York 6 November 05, got in on a Flight + Guaranteed Entry Package with www.209events.com £500.00ish, aim is to do Paris next April. All three in a year!!

On reflection I have loved the whole thing, and don't want to stop, why stop and waste the effort.

I have loved feeling fit, making great cyber pals, the training and the big day was great.
    I also have loved the focus of the event.

Is there a NY thread on UK site? (not that I'll ever leave this thread).
    xx

• Higo

run that one past me again would you?????

they told me that all of thier allocated places
    had been taken over a month ago!!!!!

500 squids as well???

following that I entered the NY ballot and I
    am still waiting . . .

• Congratulations to all of you that got your times you had hoped for.
    I had set out for 4hrs but hit the wall early at about 15 miles and felt like I was doing 30 min miles until about mile 20 then perked up again in time for the finish.
    I managed a 4hr 23mins though and this was my first marathon so am well chuffed. Just means I will be back next year to break the 4hr mark.
  • Superman i know how you feel. I underachieved hugely and i think, like you, i probably took it a bit too seriously and paid the penalty by hating the second half soooo much. Next year i am gonna run like the amateur that i am ( i was never going to beat Nell Mc Andrew but getting beat by the toilet has been much to my workmates delight!)

Chin up fella, i too have raised a shed load of money (£1200 though have to raise £1500!) and im a very fortunate person in so many ways.

Keep smiling

Wayne

www.justgiving.com/dodgerlad
  • Fat Buddha, just read back through the thread and you are the guru i need. I have asked myself some searching questions and i am going to vary the intensity of my training/races a lot more in the future and beat that bloody toilet!!!

Thanks
  • Natnif,

Depending on how Sunday went it was/is my aim to London, New York, Paris in a year.

I got into London on a Golden Place and had to raise £1600 for Mencap. I don't feel like I could ask people again so decided to look into to entering New York through the ballot. I looked on the official web site and saw the link for www.209events.com. They have an all inclusive deal (about £1,000) or a flight and guaranteed entry deal £469 plus airport tax - not got to wait for ballot.

I rang up today, gave my credit card for a deposit £280 and got a place - that simple really.

They anticipate selling out this week, so I'd ring up fast if you want a place 08703 500209.

The guy was dead helpful.

Hope that helps you.

Higo
  • Wayne, we will have to join forces and beat the sh*t out of that toilet next time! May be we could run as a couple of urinals, or would that would be taking the p*ss.

Higo x, you old jet setter, save a place on the wing for me. I've been to NY a couple of times (not to run) and love it, i am very jealous. November in NY will be a lot cooler than London in April so wrap up warm.

Dave

:¬D
  • superman, were you running in costume? if not, I passed a runner walking on the right hand side near the exit of Tower Bridge obviously injured and limping badly (dark coloured t shirt I think). I felt so sorry for him so gave him a pat on the shoulder as I passed, might have been you? The timming would have been about right.
  • Hello jenks, no i wasn't in costume, it probably wasn't me you patted on the back as i was not limping too badly whilst i was walking. It would have been appreciated if it had been me.

I injured my calf on November 15th last year and although i managed to start training for the FLM in December i was always aware i had a problem so tappered my training to try and contain the problem. I never ran on consecutive days during the last 3 months and this seemed to work. Unfortunately i think a lack of stretching at the start and the uncompromising road surface in London was too much for it. i will be back again to try again.

• Just been on that Actionphoto page of the London Marathon site. Even checked out some of the photos of you guys, cant believe how good you all look.

Higo, really cool looking wrist band, why are you looking to your left as you cross the bridge?...another one of your fans eh?

Dont look at runner 11159 please, looks like he is out on a shopping trip.

Its all good fun. Made me laugh!

• Still no pics of me up yet!!

I think i've got the bug now too.....half marathons will seem like training runs now.
  • Superman, im always up for extracting the urine. perhaps we should run as Paula next year and really take the p*ss!
  • I think its still a massive achievement guys to finish this event. It was great to be part of the carnival atmosphere

Dont be too harsh on yourself. It's time for me yto improve my 10k's and 1/2 marathon times. Also might enter a 5k this year.
  • JuddermanJudderman ✭✭✭
    Good luck in NY Higo - have been tempted myself but don't think Mrs J would be too pleased with the expense - also don't fancy long runs in hot summer weather.

Have lined up Chester Half and Blackpool Half in May & June - hope to run my Hilly socks off!

will apply for London again but don't think i can hit family & friends for a Bond place (have raised £700 for local childrens hospice) so it is luck of the draw for me. If i don't get in i will do Paris.

Can and will do better next time!
  • Congrats to everyone. I haven't contributed on this thread too much but I've enjoyed reading your posts.

First marathon and I finished in 4:00:32, missing out on my target by 33secs! I couldn't believe it when I looked at my watch with a mile to go and realised a sub-4 was still on - just!

Didn't fancy running in the heat too much but I don't think this affected me. Starting from pen 7 it was definitely the hoards of slower runners that held me up. I must have wasted so much energy dodging round people! I couldn't believe my eyes when I passed people walking before we had reached mile 2!!

Still not sure if I will do it again. Something tells me that the BBC FLM theme tune will haunt me forever though!!
  • be careful peeps with your training - if you go straight back to a run it will feel like shite and you'll wonder what the hell is going on.........so start slowly and build back up to it..........think how your FLM went, where you think you can improve and work out a strategy.........

wish me luck for my next marathon - 17th July in Zurich - will be the last leg of my first (and last) Ironman triathlon.........

if I get less than 5 hrs I will be ecstatic - but just to finish it will be a big big big bonus..........it will make my FLM feel like a sprint!

EEEEK!!!!!

• Higo

Thanks for that - see you on the new york
    sub 4 thread ;-)))

Next marathon for me is Blackpool . . . planning
    a slow and gentle 10 mile jog next sunday.

• Fat Buddha - good luck in Zurich.

I don't plan on doing too much until next weekend then I can build my distance up again.

On the look out for lots of Half Marathons to build my speed up.
  • Hi guys - like Higo, i'm aiming for 3 in a year. London done, its Blackpool next, followed by the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC in October.

One of them has to be sub 4!

El C
  • Well compadres, I’m still as high as a kite. I thought missing the four hour mark would have dented my spirits but it hasn’t at all. I felt the crowding over the first five miles stopped me getting near the pace I wanted. I had planned to run 22 miles at sub 9 pace and then hold on but I just couldn’t fight my way through the congestion. Maybe I was just too polite. I do think that having resigned myself to a slower time helped me enjoy the whole event better. Perhaps I gave up on the target too soon?!

Before the run I was pretty sure that if I did miss 4 hrs I would definitely give it another shot some time. Now I have no desire to run a marathon again, I just don’t think I can match that level of emotional high. But I will keep running. I started running just over three years ago as a positive change in lifestyle partly to be more active but mainly as a way of relieving stress, particularly at work. I will enter a few different races each year, I’m already looking at the New Forest in September, but not too many, I want each one to be special. I think I must be the exception, I can well understand you all wanting to do more marathons and some of my family and friends don’t believe me. Sarah (the present Mrs Hopkins) says “Never say never again”. I am already thinking of my future training and it includes the odd 14 miler, why? I don’t really know, I just like the idea of keeping that sort of fitness going.

Regarding the Lucozade Sport. There have been some comments about how sticky the drink stations were. For me it was a godsend. I drank some before the race and then took a pouch at every opportunity and drank every bit of it. I did take water as well because of the heat but nothing else, no gel and no energy bars. No wall and a negative split!! I t is worth trying it out in training it certainly worked for me.

Well bye for now and good luck everyone with whatever is next. I will be keeping in touch I LOVE THIS FORUM!!

H
  • HH - you aren't an exception.......

I ran my first marathon in 2003 as my 50th birthday prezzie to myself and to stop myself saying "I think I have a marathon in me" and go out and prove I could do one...........it was always going to be a one-off and I had not even thought about doing another one as like you, I approach events as personal challenges and each event should be special........sort of tick, done that, got the T, move on.........

but then I got into triathlon which led to me to decide on an Ironman as my 2005 target........which as you know finishes with a marathon............

so that led me to FLM again for 2 reasons:

1. it was timed perfectly as a long training run for IM
    2. I could bury that niggle of not doing a sub-4 in 2003

so don't say "never again" - you never know how things will develop.........
  • Have you seen those ads in running magazines that go along the lines of "Boyfriends are what happens between runs" and the like. Well my daughter Rosa ran the Mini-Marathon on Sunday and in her goodie bag was a T-shirt with the caption "26.2 miles is what happens after Mini-Matathons".
    Well it made me laugh.
  • Howard,

promise you won't leave this thread, you've been great.

I still feel elated, I've got the bug.

A question, did anyone else have a much higher heart rate - I did, 160 on my long training runs and I was up to 180 at the half way stage on sunday at 1 hr 55, bang on for a sub 4 but i knew I'd be on a stretcher if I didn't slow it down!

All I can say is it an amazing achievement for us all.

Superman - great photo's, how you feeling?

Judderman - congrats on going for the hatrick.

Natnif, see you in the big apple - is there a thread to get some info?
  • Judder,

sorry meant to say good luck in the half's.

El Capitan good luck on the Hatrick!
  • I'm now eying up the Dublim marathon in October
  • Thanks Higo, you can't get rid of me. I need a support group to help me when I come down from the ceiling. Because of the irregular times we work here I'm still bumping into people who havn't yet seen me since Sunday. Its great to find new victims for my stories.
  • MB fancy a challenge?

Snowdonia Marathon Sunday 30th October and
    Dublin Marathon Monday 31st October.

2 in 2 days eh!

Think about it.

• heya guys,

i'm still on a runner's high! can't wait for the next challenge. i am going to give my body 2 months to recover then i've got to do a summer marathon. Thinking of going away - can anybody recommend one happening in june/july?