Losing your virginity . . .

Well, I did it. On Sunday I did my first race--the Action Heart Six in Dudley. I've managed to avoid racing so far--too many bad memories of school PE--but I had to do this race, mainly because my family wouldn't have forgiven me otherwise (my uncle was an Action Heart volunteer before his death, and my aunt still works with them).

I was terrified, mind--but I survived the race! Nobody laughed at me, there were no sadistic PE teachers shouting at me, I wasn't the fattest bird there, and I didn't come last!!! All a bit of a relief, I can tell you.

The course was . . . interesting, mind. I remembered Dudley as being a bit hilly, (and it was spinning the last time I was there, probably because I was in the middle of a particularly good pub crawl). I think, however, that this particular bit of the Black Country must've been designed by Escher: I'm not quite sure how a course can go steeeeeply uphill for 5.5 miles out of six and still end up back where it started, but then again I'm only a small Mim and there's a lot I don't understand . . . .

Still, I did it: I finished in just under an hour (by my watch) and I didn't walk once, although that was only because (since I live in Snowdonia!)I refused to be defeated by a mere English hill. Or ten.

And, 10/10 to the chap who came in behind me, who collared me afterwards and said that I'd kept him going for tha last two miles, because he focussed on my hair (!) and followed it. That was sooo bizarre it totally made my day!

Comments