Just out of idle curiosity...

2»

Comments

• Spitz - I was thinking about who education benefits on my run today.

I went into it because I had a desire to open young peoples' minds to what life had to offer and to use my subject as a medium to do that. It was about widening horizons and providing new experiences as well as putting across the principles and knowledge of a subject I love.

Now all that has gone out of the window and it's a purely economic pursuit - getting enough `outputs' (grades) to attract firms to invest in Britain due to better levels of attainment. Everything else, like the idea of education for education's sake has been sacrificed in this drive.
  • Art and Design Technology, plus I do some work for the International Baccalaureate Organisation.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Deputy head in a big primary, inner-city Manchester. Just got headship in Macclesfield for September, subject to passing medical...and with these stess fractures of both shins a failure is on the cards! No running, not good for blood pressure!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Teaching assistant 5 mornings, work with an austic child afternoons. Some people might think that ta's don't teach but beleive me we do!

Love my job been doing for 4 years, wish I had done it sooner.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I work in secondary school as a Dyslexia tutor. I love my job, especially the holidays, but as I'm only employed for the hours I'm in school and there's no chance of them offering me full time it means my wages are carp. Can't have it all I suppose:o)
  • Teaching Assistant in Plymouth- Seabird- where are you I'm in Plympton
  • Teach on 0.6 post at uni, the 0.6 is my choice so I can freelance and train and see my children some of the time.
    I originally applied as a job share, believe me that makes the whole hastle scenario much easier to bear.
    Like the sentiments echoed here, end up unable to spend time with the students because I am busy fullfilling the requirements of "quality assurance" and other such stuff, wi-erd.
    As already mentioned the holidays are comparable with any other job as I am expected to work when the students aren't around.
    I'm not a career academic- ie I teach my subject because I love it- and the students and the freelance is part of staying in my real profession- costume construction.
  • Head of P.E. and Games in a private school in northumberland.

Do i like teaching?

It pays the bills and keeps me in trainers!
  • I saw one of the kids I work with while I was out and about yesterday (at the pub), after chatting to him for a while he asked me to do something, cant remember what but i said "no, Im far to old to be doing that" he sat there staring intently into my face and then said "but you cant be old, you dont have any wrinkles" arent kids fantastic :o)
  • the other thing I love about my job was the response of the kids to me running this years FLM. I've been treated like a minor celeb. They think it's amazing and I've had kids I've never taught and don't know congratulating me and asking questions. They're fascinated. They really do assume teachers have no life outside school and are stunned when they learn different.
  • University Technician. I used to work in the teaching labs, but now I run a research lab.
  • Uni researcher, bit of teaching on the side in the desperate hope that someone, somewhere, will offer me a permanent lecturing post this side of my 40th birthday.
  • My exciting title is Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Biomechanics, which is good fun 'cos you can analyse your own running style and watching sport is considered research!

Only problem is the students.

I've taught the Irish language too for the past 4 years but thankfully am giving up in three weeks.
  • I lecture in maths and stats to biologists (mainly masters students).
    I'm also responsible for trying to get our masters course QAA proof - that's tough on staff often but has made the teaching a lot better for students on the whole.
  • I'm on the edge - I'm a freelancer who tests interactive educational software and writes the manuals and Help. So if you've got some work... ;)
  • I'm a teaching Assistant in a secondary in inner London.
    Realy enjoy my job, tho stressfull at times. I also Mentor and do motor skills workshops.
  • work in higher education - official/stupid job title is 'assistant web officer'!
  • nuff respect to anyone who works in an inner London school. I'm in a nice rural leafy Devon school and I'm sure I'm very lucky to be able to work there
  • I'm a primary supply teacher.

Nigel - if you have any work needing doing..... my work is very quiet at the moment! Like the pic!

Racquel - just a thought re Kumon. I used to teach and organise after-school French clubs and found it was a problem because I could only work for a couple of hours each day, say 4-6 pm and at weekends. Nothing against Kumon but if you want more time to be with your kids it might not solve it.
  • I work for a professional education body for accountants (yawn!), but in a graphic design capacity (bit more interesting!)
  • Secondary Science for 22 years. August is great.
  • July used to be pretty good too when most of my classes go on exam leave (as a Physics teacher I rarely have to teach below GCSE level) but I'm a HOD now so that's when the admin REALLY gets going!