RW

I know it's early to start thinking about pacers and the actual race, but is there any chance of having pacers at the Green start (good for age)this year? Maybe one each for 3.45, 3.30 and 3.00 hrs?

Comments

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    If you say so geezer! Been training hard then?

Haven't seen any threads from you recently, warm weather training was it?
  • I'm sorry Hilly, I never did reply.

Rather than making promises we couldn't keep, I have to say the chances of adding more pacers is slim. We'd love to, but it's already hard to keep a 16-strong team of tried and trusted pacers going.

We'll certainly talk it over though, when we come to plan next year's groups.

Sean, RW
  • Sean,

I would be particularly interested if you or one of your RW colleagues could tell me the exact splits of last year's sub 4 hour pacing group.

This sort of time is my ambition for FLM 2003 (I was 20 minutes outside it this year)
    and want to know more about the theory and practice of your pacing groups especially re. the splits.

Can you help me so I know what I will be letting myself in for next year?

Thanks,
    Sterling
  • so you're planning next year's race then hilly.............! that's what we like to see (sorry, only teasing!)
  • yep, pacer blokes...

do you still aim for sub 4 on the clock or sub four for 26 miles and 384 yards?

very interested to know since i guess it might change your pacing plan

cheers
  • Wolfie, we always aim for sub 4 on the clock and adjust the pace according to how long it takes each pacer to cross the start line, based on what happened last year.

The upshot of this is that we always run at a faster pace to get under our target times at London than you would expect to at less busy marathons. We also aim to try and get 2-3 minutes under target time. This gives our pacers a comfort zone to allow for the busy conditions or loo stops.
  • thanks for this so for e.g. a sub four run, might actually run in 3.53??

5 mins to cross the line plus a couple of minutes "safety"

- can you remember if it is done at even pace - i.e. 2 x 1.56?
  • Artgod - thanks for this - much appreciated. Can you (or Sean or whoever) advise us on the splits?

1. What is the answer to WWR's question re splits?

2. If it is not exactly even, would the pacing group intend to do parts of the race (eg. second half or a particular 10k stretch) at a faster pace than others?

I am as much intrigued by the psychological versus physical aspects of breaking a particular target as anything else. Put another way, is it better mentally to, say, have a couple of minutes spare by the time you cross the halfway mark (psychologically comforting) or is it better to run a slower first half thereby keeping "gas in the tank" for the second?

Thanks.

I might post this on a different forum to see if I get any more responses.

Looking
  • We work out our paces based on the time taken to cross the line from last year's race and so will finalise this nearer the time, ie January when we start to publish our schedules in mag.

But just for interest here were our proposed target times for sub 4 at the 2002 marathon

Estimated Target times
    (inc time lost at start)
    10K: 60 mins
    10M: 93 mins
    Halfway: 2:01
    20M: 3:02
    Finish: 3:58

Our pacers always aim to do a faster 2nd half.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks for answering Sean.

Cep I was just wondering as there was interest last year about pacers at green start. Then again maybe my subconscious is planning for me!
  • Hey Russ; question(s) -

Bugger the pacing, what I want to know is:-

1. How do you get so many piccies into the frame?
    2. How do you get them to change like that?
    3. Can I have that too?
    4. Is that a pic. of Ozzie Ozbourne, or you after a long day stuck at the VDU?

and Hilly, who is this Sean you were talking about?
  • p.s. hilly - you don't need to reply as I've just found out.
  • Snoop

1. I'm not called Artgod for nothing.
    2. I move in mysterious ways.
    3. Perk of the job, but I had to forego the company car.
    4. Hey it's 10.00pm and I'm still at work, where are you?
  • Geezer, before the new forum went live I had a nosey around the old one and I have to admit that you really did put me off bothering again! I do hope you have something more constructive to add to this new forum after your rather refreshing absence.
  • This message will probably get lost in the ether, but I have been meaning to write since the marathon. I started from the green start and was doing steady 8 min mile pace only to be stampeeded by the sub 3.30 RW pacing group. Several of us were pushed out of the way and i ended up on the floor. Thankfully i just got up and carried on running, i didn't realise until later that i'd gashed my knee requiring a couple of stitches. I finished in 3.29, so very pleased. Still, the pacer in question was encouraging inconsiderate and irresponsible behaviour from presumably less experienced runners which is hardly in the spirit of the FLM and could have caused more serious injury.
  • The pacers clearly need to have bicycle bells
  • I can't see that the pacer could be blamed catherine.

Blame the idiot that hit you. I wonder if they are reading this ?
  • Aah, the days back when hilly went from the Green Start and wanted a pacer:-)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Lol BR, I've just come upon this thread. Gosh can't believe I started this thread in 2002!
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    hilly - Perhaps you could be the elite pacer next year?
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    You're quite the joker today:o)