Another Fat Boy

Howdy y'all!

I made the shocking discovery t'other day that I had put on the best part of two stones in the last few years and have decided enough is enough - time to start running properly!! (Also just bought new sofa and it is one of those IKEA tested with 20,000 100kg blokes sitting on it, so I won't be allowed to sit on it unless I lose weight.

I was a regular gym goer until about 6 months ago, but never been a big running fan primarily because I'm a big runner!! (On that note has anyone ever seen any sports bras for men!!?)

Did my first (again) two one mile runs on treadmill yesterday and felt OK so it's a good start, I'm just not so keen on outdoors even though I know it's both better for me and more interesting.

I'll keep you posted (Basketball today, running with balls!!) and beg/borrow/plead for motivation and tips as I need them (that'll be tomorrow then!!)

Phil.

Comments

• Hi Phil,

Sound's like we have one or two things in common. About 2 months ago, I too braved the scales after a long lay-off from the gym, (for all sorts of reasons), and weighed in at just under 16 stones. Rather than go out and buy a whole new wardrobe, I bought myself a pair of ASICS GT2070 running shoes, (which I must say have been great), and headed for the running track at the local school field. I started doing 3 laps, then 5 laps and so on until I could run for about 20 mins non-stop. After that ventured out onto the roads and started building from there.

On Saturday I jumped on the scales coming in at 14 stone 9 pounds. On Sunday I completed a ten mile run in 1 hour 27 mins. (That's supposed to be the motivating bit - if I can do it anyone can).

By the way, I have also bought a Polar M51 HRM which has been of great help in pacing myself, (by heart rate rather than time), enabling me to do greater distances without killing myself. In the past I have always been one of those who has to beat my previous time, regardless of how I felt, more often than not ending in injury. The HRM instills a sort of discipline. Not sure whether thats the correct use but it's working for me!

So I suppose what I'm trying to say is get out there and enjoy, being a "big runner" isn't a problem. Also, I can't believe how addictive running is - and the weight loss is an absolute bonus.

Best of luck with the training.

Big Al.
  • Phil

At least you've made that all important first step and got yourself off the sofa!! I would recommend getting off the treadmill as well and doing some runs outdoors - its what its all about. Personally I like nothing more than going for a run on a cold crisp winters morning - really wakes me up, but now I'm rambling on eh?

You may want to take a look at what you eat and drink with the emphasis on the drink. I used to be a 15st beer monster (being in the RAF its hard to avoid a beer at times!!) but 8 years later I'm 13st and have run 18 marathons!. I'm not saying you should be looking at a marathon or anything so drastic but try and bear the following in mind (I find it helps when I need motivating): Thank whatever god it is that you worship that you have the fitness and mind just to put on your gear, get out the door and enjoy doing something that will keep you fit and healthy.

Set yourself an achieveable goal such as entering a 5Km or 10Km race and aim for that - you may then find that you're 'hooked'

Don't forget to listen to your body - if it hurts (injury etc) then REST and/or get it fixed!!

All the best in your endeavours!
  • Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm planning to head out for my next run in about 20 mins or so - outside as well!!

Hopefully as my target weight is about the same as both your starting weights, mine should positively fall off.

Have you, or anyone else, got any good advice on the calories in side of the equatuion?

Phil
  • I would like to offer you some advice but feel that I can't.This is due to the fact that you took Bolton down to the old fourth division.
    It's no good trying to use a picture of someone else,we know who you are :-)
  • As far as diet goes, I've just tried to be sensible. I've cut out sweets, cakes, crisps etc. and stuck to stuff like salad, fresh veg, low fat proteins like chicken, turkey and fish and took it from there. Drink plenty of water too. Cutting down on the Guiness has made a change too!
  • Danny,

I refute all insinuations that I am the balding ex-Liverpool right back, when I can now reveal my true identity as the Fat Rascal (beloved cake from Betty's Tea Shop!)

Fat Rascal
  • FR

I couldn't agree with Alan more; cut out all the sweet fatty stuff and cut down on red meat, greasy foods and alcohol (thats all the good stuff then!!!!!!!!).

I didn't say cut it OUT just cut DOWN, give yourself a treat now and again like a beer or two whilst watching the footie on Sunday (if you can still watch it after getting the sack that is!).

How did the 20 min run go?
  • Welome Fat Rascal,
    Thanks,my blood pressure has now returned to normal :-)

• Hi Fat Rascal,

i'm the other fat boy!

I found the first stone easy to come off after getting out running and controlling the food and drink. (I'm always prone to a couple of pints of "London Pride" though.)

I agree with "slaphead" get outdoors. It's great.
  • Morning All,

Thanks for all the reply's. I was hoping someone had found out how you can eat all the bad stuff and keep drinking AND lose weight, but it looks like I'll have to do it the old-fashioned way!! I think I need to think more about why I am eating and not snack when I am bored/tired/thirsty etc.

Yesterdays run went quite well. I ended up doing 8 mins run/ 2 mins walk three times and about 9.5 mins on the last leg. Nearly stopped after the first 8 mins though as it was uphill and into the wind (don't get that on a treadmill!!) but kept going by remembering that I got to finish the run doing this bit downhill and down wind (hence the 9.5 min run at the end).

The hard part will be getting out and doing something this weekend, but even 20 mins will be worth it. Just got to wait for the missus to get back (she's a proper runner - out doing hill sprints or something!)

Cheers,

Fat Rascal
  • Afternoon,

Well I didn't quite manage to get out at the weekend, but I don't want to do too much too soon and I ate OK, so that's not a problem.

Went out on a two mile circuit at lunchtime and managed to run for 18 mins then had to walk for 2 and run the final 2. It was quite hard and hot (it's one of the undulating circuits that seems to undulate more up than down!!) but I kept my self going and felt quite good.

I'm thinking of entering a race in November (as everyone seems to say it's good motivation) - does anyone know any 5K's or easy 10K's in within a couple of hours drive of Leamington Spa?

Fat Rascal
  • Talking to myself but as long as it keeps me motivated...

Lazy day today, but hope to get out for a short plod this evening (ooer missus!!)

Till tomorrow,

Fat Rascal
  • FR

You're not talking to yourself mate, we're all still here!! Don't know anything on the 5 or 10K race front though as I lived in Norfolk before moving to Naples in Italy.

Have you tried the race listings? or is that a silly question.
  • Run4,

Thanks for putting the time and effort into your replys, it's nice to see it spelled out in black and white.

Fat Rascal
  • rascal,i started running in july when i changed doctor,had to get the new one to look me over and got the comment that i needed to lose 2 stone or grow 6 inches to hit the right bmi for my age 38.after several parties being scoffed at for geting boozed up while starting to train-you'll never keep it up etc etc,and at one point allowing myself to get talked into entering the nyc marathon to 'prove i was serious',i found that a good early morning run got rid of a hangover quicker than almost anything,but then found it easier to run without the hangover.the deal to run the marathon remains...i've lost the first 1 1/2 stone-16 to 14 1/2 and got a bit hooked-so much so that with 4 weeks to go before new york,i did my first organised race -windsor half marathon in 2:18 on sunday,and i'm now paranoid about overdoing the training and getting shin splints- i did have to rest up last week.i've found it quite easy to give up the fatty stuff,but have developed a craving for bagels.and the really encouraging thing about using a heart monitor is the bit at the end of a run that says you burned 1200 calories or whatever.that's a fair bit of leeway.i still need to lose more weight to lower the impact effect on the knees and ankles,but it doesn't feel like such a mountain now.and running home on a tube strike day really makes you feel smug....
    and another thing-at least when i'm running i get to choose the music...
  • My suggestion is if you can manage to do the following, that's a good start:
    - drink 2 litres of water every day
    - eat 5 servings of fruit & veg every day
    Focus on the positive things you can do to make you healthy rather than the things that make you unhealthy. I would recommend books by Peter Cohen who is very much against the whole "diet" concept, which clearly doesn't work.

Also running because you want to lose weight is not a great motivation to keep on doing it. Running because it is a form of meditation or to explore your neighbourhood or listen to music or reduce stress or to run races, these are motivations which you can sustain long term.

Well, that is my theory. It is following the theory, any theory, that is hard.
  • Rascal
    I don't know if this will help you but it helped me to give up smoking. If you don't think of it as giving up fatty food @ beer, but tell yourself you no longer want to eat food/drink that will hold you back
    from your goal of being able to run faster/farther etc. Apparently thinking of it as a sacrifice makes you want to do it all the more.
  • Morning All,

"The best laid plans..." and all that.

What started off all enthusiastically last week has petered off a bit towards the end of this, culminating in no miles run and two large choccie bars eaten!!

I had actually started to enjoy the running for itself, especially one I did at home, where I ran further than planned because it felt good. The problem, as always, is the motivation. Things are fairly crap at work, you know the stuff - re-organisation, re-focussing, excuses for laying people off! - so I have let this get on top of me a bit over the last few days and hence the miles to chocolate imbalance.

But no more. Writing it down on here and getting fantastically supportive responses from people I have never and probably will never meet, is kind off acting as a contract between myself and the world. As long as it's not to uninteresting then I will regale you all with my regular updates.

Time to go out, face the world and visit Homebase!!

Rascal.
  • P.S. I am going to fill out my application form the Birmingham Uni 5K right now. I might see some of you there.