Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Hi everybody - I'm just in from a 10 mile run and I did a PB of 84 mins 47 secs for a training run. If I can keep this going I might be able to break my half marathon PB in Stranraer of 1 hr 51 mins 22 secs.

I mostly take 4 or 5 glasses of wine each night at the week end. Last night I only took 2 glasses and this morning I definitely felt fresher.

How's everyone elses training going.
  • James, just go and run and enjoy it. forget the times.

we all forget why we run, because we like it. sometimes its good to just go and not give a hoot about how fast we can do.

poor weeks training, the work thingy happened again, and my big lad had footy this moring ruining my sacred long run time.

missed ballymena and carrick:-((

keep up the good work seamus.

Scott in my opinion a week is long enough for a taper for a half, but still keep in a speed session, remember its not the same as a mara.
  • hi everyone like you seamus i also did a 10 mile run today in a time of 86mins 11secs felt fresh at finish. my PB for the half is 1hr 43mins 40 secs set in Lisburn 3 years ago. Dont think i am in that shape now but you never know as baldy says we run because we enjoy it
  • Hi folks great weather for running.
    We ran the Dervock Half Merathon course on Sunday. The hip started giving me problems after about eight miles struggled home. Pauls wife had fresh fruit salad and orange juice for breakfast when we arrived back the guys will be looking for this every Sunday now.
    Got my number through for Lisburn if I go it will probably be a struggle just to get round.
    Going out tonight to do a hill session.
    Scott how did you get on at Carrick.
    Seamus you are going well I think you should break 1:50 in Lisburn.
    Jim keep up the training and the times will come down.
    Baldy I think we all put ourselves under too much pressure we should dump the watches and go out and run for fun.
  • Kenny - Keep doing the squats - they strengthen the hip muscles - maybe you're doing too many steep hills.

I did hills last night and I felt it on the knees today.

I'll try a 13 miler tomorrow evening and then do a couple of 6 milers before the Lisburn half.

James - Good luck in Edinburgh on Sunday.

Jim - You'll do a good time in Lisburn

Ian - You'll probably pass me in Lisburn even you're aiming for 1.55

Scott - I think a week is a good enough time to taper for a half marathon. A half marathon is easier to recover from than a full marathon. You could run competitive half marathons on a weekly basis, or at least 2 per month

• Baldy and Seamus:

Thanks for the advice re: 1 week taper for Lisburn half. I did 12 on Sunday and as you suggest Baldy I will fit in a speed session in this final week.

My 12 mile run on Sunday was approx 7:05 miling on a slightly undulating course, so hoping that 7:15 per mile for Lisburn half is a reasonable target

Seamus, its also amazing what cutting down on the wine can achieve !

Kenneth:

As you suggested, I tried to relax at Carrick, and just let a PB happen - thankfully I ran well and set a new PB of 42:53 (was 46:51) - I have only run 2 10k's though ! It was a nice course, after the initial 2km of uphill.

• Well done Scott it hard to relax a lot of running is in the head if you think you are running well you can push youself on if you think you are running bad you just get slower. Good luck in Lisburn.

Seamus I think you should stick to the wine especially before a race so I have a chance of keeping up with you. Seriously though a few drinks before a run can slow you down.

• Got Lisburn number today - 874 - seems very low for such a late registration.

I thought there were around 1500 at Lisburn Half normally ?

Can't wait for Wednesday, but in the meantime will take it quite easy - maybe 2 x 30 minutes tempo runs and one other easy run (say 4 miles) - does this seem OK for taper week ?
  • Scott and Kenny - Good to hear from you. I did 13 miles this evening in 1 hr 59 mins 34 secs. I was pleased with that as I was hungry and I also made it my fastest 13 miler training run over the last 3 years.

Lisburn is a hard course though. I hope you all achieve your targets.
  • Hi everybody - I thought that was my best training run - I beat it earlier in the year - I'm beginning to forget - the onset of age.
  • Hi everybody went to the doctor last Friday after running crap at Ballymena and Maghera. The blood test confirmed what I had thouight that my thyroid had gone overactive again. Back on the pills so it will be a few months before I am stabilized again. Its fustrating because you put in all the effort and get nothing back. Once stabilized I should be back to normal and if I can keep the weight off maybe going faster than before. I'll be at Lisburn plodding away at the back of the field.

Scott having an easy week before a half will leave you fresh for the race and hopefully a PB. I sometimes think we don't take enough rest before races and got into them with the legs still heavy from too much training.

Seamus when your hungry you run faster to get home for the tea.

James good luck on Sunday. Relax enjoy the day and if you feel good push on and you never know you might get that PB your looking for.
  • have been offline for a few days due to sick internet connection but all is well now.

training is going reallly well even with apoor week last week, did a good 9M last night in 59 mins!!

Lisburn is a rethink, friends now wavering due to no training and looking at teh 10km instead, so i may be going faster who was talking of a new PB, Seamus, Scott??

Yes James have a great one on sunday, last year i warmed down with lisburn, gonna join us??
  • Kenny - You'll be okay when the pills take effect. Its not pleasant when you put in the effort and the output is not what you want. You'll get there in the end anyway.

Ian - thats great being able to do approx 6.5 min miles. I don't think I could run one mile at that speed.

Scott - keep training - may see you at Lisburn.

James - the best of luck in Edinburgh - I hope you have a good run.

To everyone else -have a great summer's training - its great to be able to run in these good evenings.
  • kenneth keep the head up you will be back. scott great time in carrick i always find 10k the hardest distance to judge.Ran 6m tonite in 45mins felt good and could have pushed harder no point with lisburn coming up.
    baldy 9m in 59mins is fantastic could you tell me how to do it !
  • Thanks everybody for your words of encouragement. I'll keep battling away the last time it took about six months to get stabilized and running well. I had a few good races and then they took me off the pills. Now I know what is wrong I can live with it and know what I can achieve I will not be going out looking for good times and being disappointed when it doesn't happen. This has also put an end to my plans to do Dublin this year.
    See you in Lisburn
  • Guys

Sounds like we will all be running in the wake of Baldy - 6:30 miling for 9 miles sounds pretty impressive !

Personally I am aiming for around 1:36 after a good year of steady training (last year was 1:40)

Jim, I think your 6 miles in 45 mins makes you and I quite a similar standard - I'll be wearing an orange and grey outfit - so give me a shout if you see me.

Kenneth and Seamus hope to see you too.

Good luck to everyone at Lisburn
  • Hi everybody hope you are all enjoying the sunshine.Going to do my final run on sunday a 7 miller and then rest up for lisburn.

Scott my PB is 1.43 so i would be happy just to beat that.I sometimes start races to fast want to avoid this so that i can finish strongly.

kenneth and seamus hope you both run well and get the times you are looking for.
  • Some great running going on, gorgeous weekend, bootiful north down country side and legs that feel great, must be in heaven!!

things going fine for lisburn, still dont know how fast i want to run though, friends doing 10km so may run to try beat them back to the showers :-))

am going to wear my forum top in Lisurn.

Make sure you all save something for the last 2 miles, theyre long in lisburn:-((

any one heard from james the weekend jock on his adventures in Edinburgh???

anyone else use www.fetcheveryone.com, great for keeping track of everything and another outlet for all that good advice, have a look.
  • Hi everyone rang James yesterday afternoon he ran a PB 3:37 so he's happy. He's having virus problems at work so that is why he hasn't been keeping in touch.
    Ran for an hour yesterday at an easy pace. Plan to do a couple of miles easy tomorrow night before Lisburn. Don't know how I'll run in Lisburn have to wait and see how I feel on the night.
    Baldy I have had a look at the fetch site.

Good luck in Lisburn everybody
  • Hi everybody - The best of luck to you all in Lisburn. It should be a good run, but Lisburn is quite a tough hilly run. Its good to be able to do it no matter what your time is.
  • james well done, good course to get a pb you should be able to better that. hope you enjoyed the event.

gentle run today and a speed session tomorrow, running a 1.44 on wed with a colleague if any one wants that pace(8.0 mins).
  • Ian - much too fast a pace for me - that's my 5 mile pace.

James - Congratulations on your PB of 3.37. That's a great run. I did 4.37 in Longford last year and I was content enough. You must be in good shape James.
  • quiet tonight, everyone resting i guess.

managed a few hills in stormont this evening.

see you all tomorrow #596
  • Had a long standing golf engagement yesterday - 36 holes - hardly ideal preparation for tonight !

However, hopefully my golfing aches and pains (yes, even golf is tiring!) will encourage me to start slowly.

Good luck to everyone.
  • Hi everyone had a PW in Lisburn 2:07 or as my Dutch friend said 1:67 which sounds better. Just glad to get round. It was a good night for running considering all the rain we have ahd lately. Once again Lisburn run out of medals a lot of the guys in the changing rooms who were running their first half very disapointed. You run a half marathon and they give you a very cheap Kellogs walk medal.
    How did every body do?
  • Hi there. Limavady girl looking for a bit of advise. Usually drink Lucozade sport before, during and after runs. Went to local chemist and they had run out of the lucozade powder so I purchased Glycose powder as recommended by Pharmacist. It really does give me loads of energy when running or on cross trainer. I take 2 spoonfuls in a black coffee before exercising and drinking water during but what I want to know is my muscles suffering because of this? The glycose drink for the same quantity is £10 cheaper and seems to give me more energy. Any advise appreciated :)
  • Hi ladyluck I don't think it will damage your muscles. A guy who runs with us drinks glucose mixed with water and orange juice and it doesn't seem to do him any harm. Lucozade sport is basically glucose plus electrolites which help speed up recovery from endurance events. The glucose mixed with black coffee would give you a boost as you have the caffeine from the coffee plus the glucose. As long as you drink plenty of water after training you should be OK.
    What sort of distance do you run?
  • Kenneth:

1:67 sounds much better doesn't it ! As you say, it was at least a lovely night for running.

I ran well despite sore legs at the beginning, clocking 1:33:28, which was a massive PB (previously 1:40:20).

I am trying to work out what marathon time to aim for next time (probably Dublin) and 1:33 equates to approx 3:15 - but does anyone know what adjustment I should make due to Lisburn being "very undulating" (I'd forgotten about the succession of significant hills after the main Sprucefield hill !)

• Hello Kenneth. Thanks for the information. I am currently up to 6 miles. Been off for quite a while due to injuries. Coming back slowly but am aiming for the Great North Run. Seem to be plagued with tight calfs but am working through this hopefully with a combination of orthodics, stretching and plenty of cross training. Do love running soooo much though nothing else compares. I am hoping for under 2 hrs for Great North Run even by 1 minute.
  • Scott 1:33 is a good time. I don't know if there is an adjustment to allow for hills. I sometimes find that I run better on a hiily course than a flat one for every hill you go up you always have a down hill.

Ladyluck try to drink plenty of water a guy I know was having problems with his calfs and was told he wasn't drinking enough. This along with what you are already doing might help. Keep up the training and build up gently during the summer to the half marathon distance and you will make it round the Great North no problem. I have run it the past three years and the large numbers running may slow you down so don't be disapointed if you don't break the 2 hrs.