Asics Blackpool Half-Marathon

Comments

• Perversely, I managed a PB and under two hours for the first time (from 2:02 at Brighton earlier in the year). I was lucky enough to have a nice big bottle of Lucozade sport in my hand at the start, and managed to scavenge a couple of half-full bottles off the roadway before getting to the better-stocked later water stations. Still, it wasn't ideal, was it?

Given the conditions, I know it was probably a bit reckless to make such an effort, but having paid over £100 for trains and hotel and hauling up from South London, I was determined to get something from the race. Well done to everyone who made it round, and for those that didn't or who are annoyed about their times - don't worry about it; whatever the organisational shortcomings, the conditions were absolutely freakish.

I would echo someone's earlier post about the crap PA system not helping much; at one stage, the Chinese whispers around me were that the half and full-marathoners were going to start seperately.

To round things off nicely, the air conditioning crashed on the train from Preston to Euston!
  • To Quote Ron Mc Andrew

"Great changes for 2005.

1. Main Promenade start.

2. Dye cast medals/Tee Shirts/Food to all finishers

3. Free pasta Party (charity donations welcome) Saturday night in the events tented village.

4. 6 Water stations (half) 12 (full) including, coca cola, lucozade, chocolate and good old jelly babies.

5. Event photography at finish.

6. Free results on the day (and on the internet same day)

Blackpool marathon the UK's 2nd oldest marathon first run in 1926 (with a few gaps in between)

So what happened Ron? We'd all like to know.
  • "To round things off nicely, the air conditioning crashed on the train from Preston to Euston!"
    Yuck... infact, I think I'd rather have done the run again than cope with that Tom!

I bet you ended up sat next to some smelly BR tramp as well :D
  • Just to add my bit...

Got to the end, pretty chuffed to have got that far and got a right dressing down from the woman noting your number cos you couldn't see the word "Spar" on my number!!! I'd turned it up cos it was annoying my skin. And she REALLY went on about how they rely on sponsorship and I was lucky not to be disqualified!! I got nothing against the sponsors - I know they are crucial, but having run 13.1 miles in blazing heat, I have to confess I felt like knocking her blue rinse into the middle of next week!!
  • Sadly we withdrew at 15 miles

With all my running years of experience behind me , i had to say no more yesterday, feeling exhausted, plus i got my maths wrong at 10 miles which demorialised me !!

So i have to now put that behind me,
    And learn by my mistakes,

I was a fool, i should have just settled for the half, which i could have run a good time probably in around 1.45-- 1.50

Phillip is 8.5 stone now,
    We last run a hot marathon when he was about 6.5 stone and i was 2 years younger

So now i have to re-think my strategy, but while doing so, i can do a few halves

I know a lot went wrong yesterday,

But i would still say to Ron and Lewis McAndrew, thanks for your months of hard work and recent lack of sleep

Had it not been for your efforts , there would be no race at all

As for all the runners out there,

Your what keep us going as far as we get !!
    Chin up and good luck
  • I was told by my wife, who was helping at the end that a lot of the water bottles had been stolen on Saturday night, hence the shortage.

Why someone would want to steal hundreds of bottles of water is beyond me.

I managed a personal worst time of 2:37, but I was just happy to finish as I have been suffering from shin splints since Blaydon on june 9th and I do not enjoy running in heat.

The delay at the start was not the fault of the organisers, yes the PA system was not up to the job, but overall, they did better than could be expected considering the circumstances

• Peterbrooks41

Yes i agree , it's beyond me

But it's the age we are living in

Nothing's safe

( great Britain ) It's become a joke
  • Phil you did great mate you are brill see you soon mate
  • Got results, official time (2:01:46), about 2 mins outside own watch time so I think that's about right. The Blackpool today site says 4100 took part, if you look at the results 1654 finished the half, 807 the full and 1 the wheelchair, that leaves 1600+ DnF so feel better just finishing.
  • Hi treadmiller, where did you get your results please?
  • Slowboy - sorry I didn't see you. I was watching the runners going the other way but missed you.

Feeling fine today. Face is a bit sore with sunburn but otherwise ok.

Hope everyone has recovered from the heat.

Looked up the results and they have my time wrong by about 9 mins. Anyone else notice a mistake in their time by any chance?
  • Speedy G - a lot of the full mara results are out by 5 to 10 mins.
  • Results can be found on.....

http://www.ukroadraces.net/Races2005/blackpoolhalfmarathon.htm

http://www.ukroadraces.net/Races2005/blackpoolmarathon.htm

Does anyone know how many people started yesterday in each race? 1654 finished the half and 808 the full marathon - I wonder what the drop-out rate was!
  • Hi, just read the local paper(im from Blackpool) 2000 bottles of water were stolen from the St Annes water station due to the coach driver not taking the race stewards to that end(a bit of jobs worth there) Says 4100 took part
    Last yr was better, this yr more mile markers would have helped a bit.
  • 39.95% drop-out! Is this a record?
  • It certainly felt like 39.95% of me was dropping off by the end..!!

MicknPhil - d'you use a standard wheelchair when you're running? Are there any kind of lightweight whizzy ones around that might help offset Phil's increasing size? (Don't know if they can do anything about your increasing age, I think that's one thing we all just have to grin and bear!!)
  • FWIW, my time in the results looks spot on at 1:45:32, my watch time was 1:45 and it took half a minute or so to cross the line.... puts me at the 18th percentile, which is about where I'd normally be, so looks like everyone's times suffered the same amount.

....although hats off to those people who ran PBs yesterday, have you all considered the Marathon des Sables next?
  • Hi Slowboy

Thats lovely , thanks

I'm 47 , my oldest sons are 27 and 29

My grand daughters 4 and 2, pain in the arse of a daughter-in-law though

it used to be Me Wife And My 3 boys
    they ain't as fit as me though

I'm proud of what i've done and what i do

I can tell you the basic NHS wheel chairs for what they are , their damned good

it's given us a perfect life in the great--outdoors

My oldest son lives in Torbay , were i run next week, it's to laps for the half,

I say to him , come on now , come with me and your brother for a lap, he uses every excuse not too

Why, cause he ain't got the stamina i grew up with ( thats why )
    You take good care now

Because believe me i'll bounce back
  • Whats the site to see pics ?
  • GavD- THE PICTURE SITE IS www.prosportphotos.com
    Just been on site, says pics will be on in a couple of days
  • Anyone for Mansfield in 2 weeks? I'm bringing my own water this time though for sure.
  • Good morning all-sorry everyone,just finished working lates.
    Overall-A cracking weekend which the wife and my daughter thoughly enjoyed.I knew it was going to be hot,so i took a drink.My time was never going to be a good one[1hr54mins]after spending 10am until 8.30pm visiting blackpool tower and the pleasure beach on saturday,which all 3 of us really enjoyed.My wife and daughter spotted me 3 times on the route,the last right next to the finish,with a loud cheer.Great stuff.
    The missing water,these things happen,the same occured in the great cumbrian run last year.I was carrying a drink and offered mine to those who needed water.Ive always tryed to help those who I see, might need that little bit help to push them along.The medal and race number were taken to school by my daughter this morning,to show her teacher and school friends[i think shes proud of her old dad!!!]

I enjoyed the run,there isnt a run i dont enjoy doing because i remember the very first time i crossed that finishing line after slogging my guts out to run 13.1miles and the feeling of achievement and how proud my wife and daughter were to see me do it.

Wwll done to all those who finished and well done to all those who took part,because if it wasnt for runners,joggers and plodders there,d be no events and stories to tell.

See you all in mansfield in 2 weeks.
  • Mick the Mackum

So glad your wife and daughter are proud of you

Even 13.1 miles is an amazing achievement

For me , well, as you know , i just buggered it up totally

I will be at mansfield

Good to know you spent the day with your wife and daughter, at the tower,

Keep it up

I'm going to walk in Torbay all day Saturday, and relax with Phillip regardless of weather

My disabled wife is just about to have a week away with her cousin , she exhausted at the moment

Thing is , people like me who have there health and fitness, and can run a half marathon without batting an eye lid, just don't know how lucky we are

May get to meet you one day ???
  • AN IDEA

If you're running at Mansfield wear a small red sticker in the top left of your runner number. It will show others that you are a "Blackpool Half Marathon surivor"
  • Does anyone know the name of the website where the photos will eventually be available?
  • Morning all.
    Micknphil-I will endevour to find you at Mansfield-Im sure we had a little bit crack when we ran the great north west at blackpool in february this year???You promised you would catch me up after I passed you, and you did!!!

My wife and daughter wont be with me at mansfield,they,re both into show jumping and eventing,so I think they,re going to a show that sunday.

See you all later.