Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

Comments

• Hi guys,did my 800m efforts Monday night.Went out at 9pm and the conditions were lovely,nice and cool and a slight breeze.Did 6x800 and was bang on 3 minutes for each one and not having as long a rest as normal.I was waiting until my heart rate was getting below 110 and then going.It was taking about 2 minutes to get under 110.
    You coming to club tonight Jinx? Sorry you haven't been feeling too good but glad you're feeling better now.
    Llanelli 5K next Tuesday.Erggh,I hate 5Ks!
    Was in Wimbledon yesterday and it's worked out well because i'm only training every other day this week because of the 10K Sunday.
  • Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭
    Evening All,

Tidy sounding session last night JA. I too was out although about 8 and it was really pleasant. 5m easy, and could not have run faster if I had tried & I was sweating like an FA official whose mistress had just visited Max Clifford.

Anyway, some sort of effort tonight, hopefully later when it gets cooler.

JA - How high does your pulse go when you are running the 800's ?

So it's 10k Sun and 5k Tues & have got to fit a trip to Norwich in with all this somewhere.

Hows it going with you WP & how are the legs ? What's the temp like in the mornings at the moment ?
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Evening

WA

I am on holiday this week so not posting much;-) Not that I would dream of posting during my working hours;-)

It is beautiful in the morning so cool and fresh not sure of temp but great for running:-)

This week monday 6 miles easy, Tuesday 10 miles with 4 miles hard, Today was my 1st rest day in a week so what does a girl go and do she has some retail therapy in Cardiff very nice it was too;-) tomorrow 10 miles with 5 hard then Long run Friday and that will be it for the 10k on Sunday.

I have been trying to aclimatise my body to this heat by sitting in the garden in the afternoons(I hate heat) I think the longest I have managed is 2 hours max.

I had this week of to do jobs around the house thaT I never got time for....who wants to make a guess if I have actually done any?

Legs are easying off I had a great physio session last week and it really seems to help but still sore after a hard session so they shall be hurting tomorrow!! injection tomorrow so I shall be zooming about the place.

What was strange about sundays race I wore racing flats and no pain in shins!!

Glad too see you guys are working hard with the reps place...Hopefully
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Hey guys,next week for me Alex is Sun 10K,Tues 5K and Wed monthly race in club!

Good sesh tonight in club,worked hard and did a pyramid 5K in 21 flat including lots of turns so think I was under 21 mins really :-)

With the 800m efforts my heart rate is getting to about 180ish,sometimes a little bit higher.Tonight I was around 190ish but was really eye balls out stuff.

Well done WP on the training,good news about your shins too.Keep it up!
    Know what you mean about the weather,it was boiling tonight.Sooo humid.Sitting in the garden could be a good plan to aclimatise.Get a good tan too!

Rest day for me tomorrow then 4X200m efforts on Friday to sharpen me up for the race on Sunday. Hope the temp will have cooled down a bit by then,don't fancy having a good bash at a tidy 10K time in the scorchio sunshine.

Keep it up folks,good efforts all round!
  • 5K Tuesday....I think I will do that, Jen how do I go about getting myself a vest.

Alex can I pick you up on the way as you know where the race is.

Hey pops if your shins were better in your racers it could be that your heel is too high on your training shoe, it can cause the heel to hit the floor before it should causing your foot to slap down and send a shock up your shin....I read about this somewhere, I will try and find it and post on here today.

Yes, thanks Jinx - A lift would be great. I'll mail you with my address in Gowerton (Parents still on G.A.) Let me know a time.
  • Jen what time is the race on Tuesday
  • Hey guys,I believe it's 7pm Jinx.I'll find out for you by tomorrow though.To get a vest by Tuesday won't be possible as Julie from club brings them along to club nights for people to purchase but i'm sure that someone will lend you one for the race.I'll ask around for you and i'll ask people on Sunday at the 10K.

• Cheers Jen

Went running lunch time, nothing like a nice run in the midday sun LOL
  • You're crazy! I went for a little sit for half hour lunch time in Castle Gardens and nearly melted so can't imagine what it must have been like running!

I've got a rest day today because of the race thankfully,but may go out for a spin on the bike.

Hope this weather cools down a bit though,not a big fan of training in the heat.
  • It was a tad on the warm side lol
  • Well,apparently (according to Sky news),thunderstorms and isolated tornadoes are on their way for the next few days!
    They're coming in overnight tonight and will be here until Sunday when it's going to brighten up. Then more rubbish weather next week.

Suerly it is rubbish weather now ? Weren't you saying 'roll on winter' a few posts ago JA ?
  • When I say "rubbish" I mean rubbish as what summer weather would be perceived as being if it were raining/tornadoing etc.
    And I do love the sun,just not training it in.
    It's alright for sunbathing in!
    But I stand by my original statement-roll on winter!
    Woo hoo!

Just thought I'd get out my large wooden (stirring) spoon !
    Bring on the thunderstorms lets hope it cools the weather down a treat I am melting!!!

JA
    Castle gardens there is a name for girls who frequenting the gardens;-)

I am a sitting under the umbrella in the shade short of girl...the things I have done this week in prep for the race at the weekend:-(

i was out at my usual time and it was hot then!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    What name do these girls have then Poppy?!

[Greeny decides to take a wander to castle gardens one lunch time]

Stop press - went for a 40 min run today at midday! (I'm still recovering!)

Could it be Skateboarding Chicks or Women who Love Concrete or admierers of expensive statues ?
  • Hee hee,I was merely enjoying watching the Skatey boys doing their thing!;-)

Plus,I topped up my burn,I mean tan from the weekend.

200m efforts for me tonight.It's definately cooled down a bit.Just got to watch out for lightening bolts now!
    Greeny
    I could not say on the forum maybe next time I see you:-)

Brave man running it that heat!!!

WA
    Nope none of those things:-)

JA

I hope you had sun factor on...gives motherly concern Skin cancer kills best to be pale than dead......lost family member to this dreadful condition.

I never sunbathe my tan is from FLM and running

I was running at 5.30 when it was thundering, lightening bolts and torrential rain(and me in the woods) too say I was a wee bit wet is an understatement and the big puddles of water no wonder my trainers and socks were ....wet

10 miles done just 4 miles easy tomorrow and that is me done;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Good effort WP,I was awake watching the storm,it was pretty spectacular.Don't think I would've liked to have been running in it though,especially through the woods.
    Out of interest,what route do you do as i'm looking for some new routes when I embark on my next lot of mara training,which starts a week Monday.
    And yes,I did have sun factor on :-)
    Is lovely and cool out,can't wait to train tonight!

Jinx - What time are you picking me up / are you still on for tonight's 5k. Let me know. I've mailed you my mobile.
  • Sorry m8 not going tonight, I have only trained once in the last week :o(
  • Finding it hard to train at the moment, just dont seem to be improving at all.

Before I could train for a few weeks and be fit enough to race but now I just appear to have lost it, im sure its an age thing.

Went out lunch time today and the first 10 - 15 mins was pretty good but then I slowed down sometime cronic.

I have to either change my training or pack it in.

:o(
    Jinx

Pull yourself together...tis not your age I think I am the oldest one on this thread!!!

Are you enjoying running?

maybe too much too soon?

Or maybe you need to focus on a race say 10 weeks away for a goal to aim for?

Different things work for different people

Maybe you are going to fast and need a bit of a warm up for 10 minutes before going at it ...maybe you need to base train gentle easy runs then get the speed work further down the line?

Just a few ramblings now drop and give me 20 ....no not miles maybe minutes;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Cheers pops

Going to change my training now, I think I just need some variety.
  • Oh man,this storm is not good! If it gets any worse I wonder if they'll cancel.
    Don't fancy being out in the exposed in thunder and lightning!

I do - it's the only wy my running shoes will ever smoke !

Jinx - Just get out there. The only person you have to compete with is yourself.