Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

Comments

• Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Jinx - give up, running's crap.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Greeny- I need a little word in your ear!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Welsh Poppy !!!!!!!!!!!

People in glass houses ......
    Before you give Greeny a telling off, Re-read the words that you posted to JNX ,,,,

Base Miles ??????????? Base Miles indeed !!!!!!!!

Still lurking George
    George

Glad to see you have de lurked

Poppy looks innocent......not sure what you are trying to say to me:-)

Are you saying I don't do base miles;-)

Poppy makes a mental to remember that George lurkes so be careful what I say as it could come and bite me on my bottom at a later date!!!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Greeny I know, but I have to do something to keep myself in perfect physical condition...LOL

• Hey Jinx,you ought to start coming to club.
    The support and advice is fantastic,it gives you so much motivation too.
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Jinx, I'm thinking of becoming a motivation coach - what do you reckon?
  • Alex,well done on your 4th place last night.
    I really enjoyed the race and the conditions were lovely.
    Much rather this race to Swansea Bay 5K.
    I knocked a minute off my time from the last Grange 5K which considering was only a month ago i'm quite chuffed with!
    I always enjoy getting a PB.
    What was your time in the end?
    Have you thought about joining our club?
  • Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

Hi Jenny,

Thanks. Yes I was pleased with 4th and time was 22:07 which was about 1:30 off my last time. For some reason my short range running had gone really downhill although I seem to be getting back on track a bit and this result is a good sign.

I too much prefer the course. The fact that it is not totally flat and in Swansea the bay track slopes left to right which is bad news for injuries in my view.

Well done on your time too. You were running really well and your second half looked very strong.

Yes, I might consider joining a club. Been running for years on my own and I am happy with that although I guess I would welcome anything that might provide a bit of variety and speed me up.

(Just thinking about Oscar Wilde who said he would not join any club that would have him !)

• Well done Alex, you gona join 3M's

Jen its the race at club tonight but should make it next week.

Running again today so I think the motivation is coming back, thanks to Greeny...lol

I guess Junx, from what I have heard it sounds like the choice for mortals. I am however off to victorian seaside sh*thole Great Yarmouth for a couple of days this afternoon so there is no chance this week. Business not pleasure you understand. A nice five hour drive; just gotta time leaving Swansea so I miss rush hour on the magic roundabout.
  • Hey Jinx,yeah it's the monthly race but a good chance to meet everyone and there's no pressure,just a run.
    If you fancy coming let me know and i'll mail you the details.

Alex,fantastic news on your time,that's a hell of a good effort knocking 1:30 off!
    My target is the girl who was with me when I was talking to you, Ingrid. She won and she's awesome but i'm aiming to beat her in the x-countrys in the winter.She's been trying to break 20 minutes for 5K for a few years and did it for the first time last night so she's absolutely over the moon.

It seems to me that there are a lot of very good girls in running and a few races I have been to more women running than men. (Was that the case last nigth; seems so).

Sub 20 mins for a 5k is more than great, I could probably only move that fast if I fell off a cliff. I reckon at the rate you are improving your times you will get there.

Sadly, knocking 1:30 off is more a measure of my previous poor performance. I have a 5k route with comprable undulations to the one in Llanelli which I run in training about Gowerton. I have been down as low as 21:20 on it but not since last Jan so my current target is to get back there. Having said all that 22:07 is a PB for me in a 5k race.

Jinx - just get out there and enjoy. You don't have to be in superstar shape.

• I think it was PBs all round last night!

There do seem to be a lot of good girls around,it's great to have a lot of competition.I think the reason why I got such a good time last night was because I was trying to catch the girl in front of me and was pushing hard.

The weather is meant to be raining and stormy again later which will be good for the race.
    It's about 4 or 5 miles I think around the forestry in Penllergaer.
  • Hey Jen, Debs may be joining the forum....come on Debs I know you are there LOL
  • Well done Alex, you gona join 3M's

Jen its the race at club tonight but should make it next week.

Running again today so I think the motivation is coming back, thanks to Greeny...lol

Good Morning from Overcast Great Yarmouth !

No, not really. A lot of driving, a bit of work and picked up a new(ish) van from Clacton Upon Sea.

Anyone want to buy my old one, an L reg LDV Pilot? One months tax and 3 weeks MOT ?
    Boo

How is training going for you Alex after weekend?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

Hi Poppy,

Day off yesterday. If there had been a local race I would have done it but all things considered I thought that after 20 miles of hills I would rest.

Going to do something or other tonight, haven't decided what yet (apart from the obligatory 120 sit-ups).

How's it going with you ?
  • Hiya folks,well done Alex on that crazy race you did,sounded a bit mad! You definately deserved a rest yesterday.

I started marathon training yesterday. Started it with a nice 10 miler to get me into the swing of things. Rest of the week is as follows :-

Tonight : 6X800m efforts (3 mins per rep)
    Tues : 8 miles
    Wed : Club
    Thurs : 6 miles steady
    Fri : 6 miles 10K pace
    Sat : Bike
    Sun : 12 miles

Well done WP on your big week of miles last week,good effort. You having another big week this week?

Can't believe the 5K is next week,it's come around so quickly.

Afternoon JA,

Thanks for that. It was a bit crazy on Sat, that's for sure. Not really decided what I will do when this week, but I am running the Runaround Wyre Valley Half on Sun, another hilly one but not as bad as last week I understand.

Looking forward to the 5k next week too.
    Hi Alex

Scarely all is going well shins still hurt but they are not too bad and hip settling down.

saturday 6 miles speed work
    Sunday 12 miles easy...wish someone told me the blimming bike race was going to use my route so kind of themn to make sure I would not be lonely!!!!
    Monday 6 miles 2 miles warm up 2 miles very hard 2 mile cool down
    Tuesday 10 miles at a set pace
    Wednesday rest day
    Thursday 10 hard at 2 miles a set pace and increased until last 2 miles easy
    Friday 8 miles hills or 8 miles easy
    Saturday rest or 6 miles
    Sunday 13 miles faster

JA
    as you can see around 47-53 miles fot this week easing back for the 5k;-)

good luck with marathon training looks a good week to me:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Looks like a good week WP,doesn't look like you're easing off for the 5K though.....;-)
    Are you doing Cardiff full or half? I can't remember what you said.

I'm going to build up for the next few weeks and then start the big miles.It's just going to be a matter of getting into the swing of things and training every day religiously again.

I really want a good time in Cardiff.I love marathon training - train hard,eat hard,sleep hard!
    JA

I will be doing nothing much on the Monday before the race;-)
    I am doing the half I have a deferred place from last year I decided to be sensible and not attempt another marathon this year as build myself up for a spring GFA place (hopefully)I attempted an autumn marathon last year and was ill and injured.(Cardiff)

But the really strange thing is the minute I come out of marthon training and get well I put in much more mileage and train better or so it seems to me the last 4 weeks have been my best since May last year!!
    I love marathon training too but I hate the heat love the wet and cold that is what marathon training is about or maybe I am just ever so slightly mad;-)

George if you lurk and see this do not agree with me;-)

yes once you get back in a routine it is fun are you going to do 2 lSR a week?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression