POSE/midfoot for big and slow people

Having read quite a few of the threads on here about POSE and midfoot running, I think I'd like to have a go. I've got hold of the POSE book and DVD and am planning to start trying to learn it at some point soon.

My main concern, and something that I couldn't really find on the other threads, was how easy it would be for someone big and slow to take it up and if there are any specific considerations I'd need to think about. I'm 16st4 and my 5K pace is a little under 8m/m and most of my training is at a little under 10m/m.

So, please let me have any advice/suggestions, particularly any from personal experience - other big and/or slow people very welcome.

Also, suggestions for shoes would be welcome, I know I need to give up my Nike Air Structure Triax, and I have a shortlist of other shoes from various threads and websites so would be interested to see what shoes others would recommend.

cheers again

Comments

• do you like shin-splints?
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    The Future: Interesting. Please elaborate your statement.

Loki: 16st at 8mm? You are quick! Are you currently a heel-striker? I assume yes. The "easy" way is to be patient and let your body adapt slowly to Pose/midfoot running. The good news is that you probably have incredibly strong legs, knees, ankles and feet.

So there is no reason why you can't follow Pose techniques for running. I know at least one forumite who started running in Pose and is similar weight to you. AFAIK, he trains and races in NB150 racing flats (I think he may train in Puma H Streets now but I'm not sure). Be warned: both these shoes have very little heel-cushioning - see below! There are other shoes described in the Lightweight trainer thread.

IMHO, you're doing the right thing by getting the hold of the DVD/book. Even for a lightweight/fast runner my main advice would be: run midfoot exclusively in lightweight shoes with little heel cushioning, don't mix styles (ie midfoot and heel-striking), cut your sessions in terms of speed and distance, slow down, take your time to learn the technique. If you rush it you'll heel-strike and doing that in lightweight shoes will definitely cause you injury to your heel, achilles tendon and calfs!!! You must be vigilant to run midfoot when wearing these shoes - so keep it slow and your form will hold.

As well as that, I'd recommend you try out a couple of barefoot sessions. Perhaps around the house, on a nice flat clean cricket pitch or on a treadmill. Again initially keep your sessions short and slow and let your feet get stronger.

You don't have to run like the runners on the DVD. Just try to get the feel of running midfoot and landing below (just behind) your hips (general centre of mass). Keep your cadence high and lift the feet just high enough to take a step and in order to land midfoot. Don't try to run like a reject from a Riverdance concert.

Best of luck.

• Like the Riverdance comment nrg, had a little chuckle at that.

I started running midfoot a few weeks ago and still run in my old shoes (as they were only a week old when I changed running style). I know u should get the runners flat and will do in the nearish future, however apart from needing to stretch calves quite a bit after initial few runs I'v had no probs. Did the stretches and lifts on edge of stairs and they worked a treat.

My feet feel really good and so do my knees and even if I don't have the right shoe and am not necessarily running text book POSE, (Would have to see myself on camera to see if I'm doin it right) I feel better running this way, I can't remember how to heelstrike anymore and it's def better on the joints. So I'd reckon it's the best way for a bigger person to run, as ur putting much less strain on the joints. ;0)
  • thanks nrg, TT. I think I'll start doing the drills and that should give me a good idea if my legs are strong enough. I have started doing some of the specific exercises from the book and various threads as well as my normal ones.

Now all I have to do is find somewhere that sells shoes designed for light, fast whippet people in size 12s.
  • As for the shin splints comment earlier, the reason I tried this way of running was because I had got new shoes and had started to get niggles in my shins. So came on here for advice and discovered the thread on POSE. Tried it thinking it wouldn't work but was wrong, worked a treat and haven't had a single niggle in my shins.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    TT: Ditto for me. Hence my reason for asking TF to explain his statement.
  • POSE and mid-foot are not necessarily the same thing, I think this should be clarified.

POSE is a subset of mid-foot running. You can run mid-foot and not run POSE. Which is what I do. No need for drills or anything, just lean forward, don't wear chunky shoes, concentrate on lifting your legs.

Your problem is your weight. Being so heavy (for a runner - no offence) might mean you wouldn't be able to get away with anything but chunky shoes, which make it very hard to mid-foot strike.
  • Heavy runner = more force through muscles, tendons, joints etc.

I'd say that its more reason to run 'properly' so that these high forces are acting in the most anatomically friendly way.

But you should defo be very cautious at the outset in terms of pace and volume of runs etc.
  • Biff - I'd say I'm the same, not necessarily running POSE, but as long as you find a way that is comfortable for you thats all that matters. I still wear my 'chunky' shoes (Brooks Vapor)and my heel often touches the ground, but after my midfoot and with very little force so it is still better than heel striking. Will gradually gravitate towards lighter less chunky shoes when it's time to buy a new pair.

;0)

• I found the easiest way to move toward lighter shoes if you want to avoid any sudden changes is as follows:

When your present pair of shoes are worn out, buy a pair with cushioning that is similar to that worn out pair.

That way you are adapting gradually as the shoe wears out, and no sudden changes between pairs.

Could easily get you down to very light racers in 3-4 pairs time.
  • Yes, I think that's a good strategy Alex.

Like weaning someone off of drugs, the dependency slowly is eroded.

I think I've made more progress wearing the Nikes than I did wearing the NB's (although it's hard to separate the shoe factor from the exponential improvement trend) but will revert to teh NB's as I go along ...
  • Thanks again folks, that makes sense, I know I'm going to have to start very slowly and build up slowly, but I was 18 stone when I started running so I've had to do that anyway.

I do find that more supportive shoes stop your feet flexing properly. If I try to run midfoot in my Nikes I end up landing more on my toes.

I tried two one-minute barefoot runs (well, in socks) on the treadmill after my run last night and apart from a slight ache in my calves which went away when I stretched, they felt fine. It was funny to feel my feet actually working properly.

Unfortunately I'm rubbish on treadmills, can't run naturally on them at all, and I felt like I was striding out in front of me more than I do when heel-striking in shoes. May have to be brave and have a go on the beach instead to get a better idea of what my "natural" stride is like.

Biff - what Nikes and NBs?
  • Nike Air Zoom Shift (quality shoe! Fair heel, but very easy to run mid-foot in them) and NB750's.