A stitch in time.....

Hi everyone,
Can anyone explain to me why I keep getting stitches and more importantly, what is the quickest way to get rid off the whilst on the move. It goes without saying that I don't eat or drink just before going for a run, but even if I have'nt drunk or eaten for hours before I can sometimes still get a stitch. More recently I've noticed that even if I do a hard cardio class at the gym I'm fine, but then if I go on the treadmill after, bam, a stitch!! Can anyone advise?

Comments

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hi Kymbo,

I sometimes get stitch if I start running too quickly, too soon, without a proper warm-up. To get rid of it I try deep breathing and I've found that pressing hard against the painful spot seems to help.
  • Posture? I find that I can get rid of a stitch by holding myself very upright and then relaxing my insides (all while still running). It's difficult to describe. I discovered this while trying to follow someone's instructions to "breath from your stomach" - which is maybe just a way of trying to describe the same thing.

Not sure that makes much sense.

Millipede
  • Hi Redhead,
    But if I've already done a class before getting on the treadmill I've had a pretty good workout & stretch anyway.
    I'm beginning to think it's my liver complaining about my misspent youth!!!!!
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hi Kymbo,

If that's the case then my liver's going to start playing up too!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    strong abs apparently helps-lots of situps!!
  • The theories about reasons behind 'stitches' abound and, as far as I'm aware, there is no unequivocal scientific evidence for what are the precursors of this kind of abdominal pain.

However, one theory put forward is that it is due to distension of the diaphragm impacting on the abdominal cavity and this would be supported by your lack of problems in the cardio class, where there is less movement up and down in the diaphragm region, but as soon as the treadmill running starts (with the accompanying bouncing of the abdomen), your problem 'kicks in'.

Various techniques have been put forward for prevention/cure, including the suggestions already posted in the forum, which try to minimize the 'up & down' movement of the abdomen/diaphragm. I have also found that if I get a stitch during running and I push my stomach out when I breath in, this tends to limit the amount of movement the diaphragm can make against the abdominal wall and the pain subsides.....give it a try!
  • Thanks for all the help, I'm gonna try them all out this weekend when I no doubt fall clutches the evil stitch at some stage. If nothing else I'm sure I'll look quite entertaining to passers by......!!

Have a great weekend all!!!
  • Can i just point out to interested forum-ites that Kymbo and Me (Kym Wheeler) are two separate people and not one using two e-mail names!!
  • I don't suffer very often, but if I get it, I normally ease up on the pace a bit & try some deep breathing like Redhead. It can take a while to run through it, but it is possible. If it does get too bad, you can always have a little walk umtil it eases.
  • DS

Didn't realise you were KW. Thought you had gone on a long holiday as your daily renditions had disappeared.