Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

Comments

• Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

I had actually decided that I was going to jog round in 2 hours. Felt better than expected in the heat so did miles 1-9 quickly. Ended up with 2 hours but not by design. I hate the heat.

Where is the half you have entered ?

Is it the Glos Half ? - It is the closest one i can find for that day.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Nope not Glos half but Milton Keynes 1/2
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

Any other reasons for going to Milton Keynes ?
  • Hello everyone,how's it going?
    Well done Alex on your run,must've been sheer hell in that heat.
    I was the opposite to you WP,I went out for my 12.5 miles at gone 8 last night and was out for 1 hr 50,just nice and easy and it wasn't too bad at that time.Still quite warm but bearable.

On Saturday night I was informed that after my meal with my family the girls had planned a bit of a b'day sesh for me.Two of the girls I hadn't seen for ages because they live in London and they'd come home for my b'day so it did turn a little bit messy......Let's just say that I ended up in my mate's garden at 4am drinking tequila!

But I am quite a hardened drinker (when I do drink) so I was fine on Sunday and was up like a button at 9.30am.

I am undecided as to whether to do the 5K or not as yet,if the weather is going to be like this tomorrow then I may opt out and stick to my mara schedule and do a steady 8.Will decide tomorrow.I'm definately going to be there supporting though if I don't do the race.

I really hate 5Ks and 5Ks in the heat are even less appealing!
    Nope no other reason at all to go to Mk never been there before!

Jen!!

Drinking till 4am you bad girl;-) but very impressed you were able to train and up bright eyed and bushy tailed at 9.30!!!

I don't drink or shall I put it another way it takes 2 glasses of wine and I am well...I can't hold my drink at all last time I had a drink was after FLM as I was upset and needed something to dull the pain I believe I slept all the way home on the train!

I hate the heat as does Alex but as a club race will give it my best shot....hopefully

starts praying it turns out freezing cold and wet tomorrow at 7pm:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Yeah,defo,if it's freezing cold and wet I might be on for another PB!

My partying this weekend was my last sesh for quite a while,which is why I made the most of it.Now that the serious training has begun it's time to start making sacrifices and my social life is the first to go!!! No more late night and excessive alcohol for me.

I've actually done nearer 50 miles this week,not 40 as originally estimated.My legs are feeling great though,even after my longish one last night.

Not sure what the schedule is for this week.Tonight i'm doing 6X800m but don't know the plan for the rest of the week.
    What are you doing folks?

Well my schedule is
    Monday 4 mile recovery run all done
    Tuesday 2 mile warm up 5k race and 2 mile cool down
    Wednesday 2easy 2 hard 2 easy 2 hard 2 easy
    Thursday 12 @ steady 8;45
    Friday 10 middle 4 hard
    Saturday rest Day
    Sunday??

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Looks good,nice few miles there again.
    What time are you going for in the 5K?
    Well I am not that fast so looking for sub 24 hopefully

What about yourself if you race?

I actually feel fantastic on the mileage I am doing(more than when I was marathon training)

Oh do you realise they have not announced the closing date for GFA yet and Cardiff maybe too late so I was told?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • I know,i'm quite worried about it to be honest.I'm praying that Cardiff is before but i'm entered for it and will do it whatever happens.
    Suppose i'll just have to sit tight.

My plan for this summer was to get as close as possible to 20 mins.I broke 21 for the first time in the last Llanelli 5K with 20:54 so am just going to keep trying to get my time down.

Glad you're feeling so good,you're obviously doing it all right if you're staying healthy and feeling great.I'm going to try and keep my mileage in the 40's and 50's every week and keep building up.

It's all good!Woo hoo!
    Good luck with the mileage looks good to me and steady building up especially with the heat!

That is a darn good time for 5K

Lastyear cardiff was the week before the closing date(9th)even if you miss it and you get your GFA place just means you will have it for 2007 FLM.

Lets hope lady luck is on your side:-)

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Yeah,me too.

The plan is to do Cardiff and Dublin in October and then do FLM next year.After that i'm going to throw myself into triathlon and have a break from marathons because i'm only 22 and don't want to wreck my body when i've only just started out.

When i'm a little bit older and stronger i'm start on the marathons again,my endurance should be that much better as well.

So,that's the plan but in reality who knows what'll happen!

Evening All,

Well, poppy, Milton Keynes. What can I say, concrete, dump, grid ? The old hamlet is ok bit most of it is sh*te. Built on an American grid system. If you don't go and fancy a stab at the Newent (same day) I might be tempted and could give you a lift.

Jen, I do hope that Cardiff works for you and is in time. The way you are going I reckon you will be flying by this autumn. I see you fancy a triathlon. Have you done one ? Love cycling and running myself, used to be good at swimming but not sure about the combination.

I am going to do the Swansea 5k regardless of the heat. Heat is my enemy and it really degrades my performances.
    OOh I cant find any details of the Gloucester 1/2......can I tempt you to the half then?
    is it hilly
    will the course be marked in Flour;-)
    So many questions;-)

At least those of us that do the 5k will do it under very difficult circumstances and shows how tough we really are.....or mad;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

Glos

Flat/Undulating and it can't be marked worse than the MM because it does not get any worse !
    Thanks small field mmmmm would also mean I get too see Lance in action as it will be THE day he gets his 7th Tour!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

Is it in a small field ? I missed that bit.
    Max 300ish runners
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
    344 last year
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

I will most likley do it regardless. Can't find anything to do this coming weekend though.

In Aug I have got these booked already

Brecon 10
    Great Yarmouth 1/2 (Weekend away staying at my brothers)
    Race the Train

Will prob give the Tenby 10k a crack at the end of the month as well.
  • see you all tomorrow, the heat will be hard, but to paraphrase lance armstrong "the quicker i run it the sooner i can stop!"
    OOh Phil you know a way to a girls heart just mention Lance;-)

I do like that saying:-) and you would never see lancey not doing a stage because it is too hot;-)

Alex

Would it be okay to have a lift for Gloucester 1/2?
    I would also like to do Tenby 10k but my original lift is not doing the race.So will have to sort something else out .

good luck everyone tonight
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

Yes, that's fine. And a lift to Tenby will be ok too if you are stuck.
  • Hiya folks,well,my run last night confirmed it,i'm not going to race tonight.

I'm going to bike down to the race,support for a bit,then go on a nice long ride around Gower most probs.

I went to train last night with the intention of doing 6X800m efforts and after my first one I felt like stopping.Legs were heavy and there was nothing in the tank.

Just been for a walk now down to the hospital to have my x-rays done on my knee and I felt pretty tired walking.

I think i'm going to need to change the schedule so that Monday's session is recovery miles.It was tough trying to do the efforts on the back of a long Sunday run.Will have to have a re-think!

Well,it's a lovely hot one for you hardcore racers.

Keep an eye out for me WP,i'll be on a blue Trek mountain bike with my red 3Ms t-shirt on.Come and introduce yourself if you see me!See you tonight Alex too.

Plenty of water and energy drinks today guys :-)

Sorry you aren't racing tonight Jen, I guess speedwork like that after a long run is taxing.

I had planned to go for a revcovery plod yesterday but ended up going for a recovery sleep at 7pm. Out like a light. There is no way I could have managed speedwork or anything like !

Might cycle down myself, just have to see how the day pans out.

Tell you what too, I could swear I entered this on line but have not had a number yet. Will have to enquire tonight.
  • I ended up doing 4 out of the 6 800s but I decided to call it a day then because my rep times were slowing right down.

Most probably see you tonight Alex but if I don't - good luck!

Good luck to you too WP :-)
    Alex-Thank you a lift would be great also Tenby if it does not put you out in any way? have a feeling both will be hot hot hot

Ring Grant today to check it out

Sounds like your body needed the rest last night.

Jen

Sorry you are not racing I always find that after a long run a recovery run is the best for a Monday so maybe you need to alter the schedule a wee bit?

Will look out for you I will be in harriers vest(it is horrid all nylony) dark hair tied back and nervous look on my face!! oh and GPS strapped to arm>>...think i better look for you may be easier;-)

I am going to watch Lancey in action this afternoon (he has a trek bike)and drink plenty and maybe a nap I am not sleeping well with the heat at the moment:-(

Good luck Alex and hopefully see everyone tonight

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
    Jen

Thanks for good luck I am going to need it!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    WP - looking unlikely that I will make it tonight - plus like it's really hot man!

Good luck to all that do it anyway.

Hope you get sorted soon, Jen.