Arm exercises

Right, now I've got the leg bit sorted (and am working on abs when I remember - anyone tried those balance ball things as seen in RW?), I'd like to try to tone my flabby arms (especially the underneath bit). But being a lazy sod, and running 3-4 times a week already, what I want are some simple exercises I can do in front of Eastenders. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Comments

• Doobs

<B>Ball</B>
    I use a Swiss Ball and find it very good, it brings into play stability muscles that are normally missed out on during a mat based abs session.

<B>Arms</B>
    You could do a couple of you runs carrying small hand weights (about 0.5 to 2lb).

Will
  • Good idea - but at the moment I'm trying to increase my pace, not make myself even slower!!
  • Hi Doobs

Get a set of hand weights and you can do lots of sets of bicep curls, tricep extensions, sloulder work, and wingies or upright rows for your chest during the first 20 mins of Eastenders. You can also do tricep dips using the sofa for support. Then you have time to do 5 minutes of abs and a good set of stretches before the final credits roll.

If you're reasonably fit, I'd suggest starting with no less than 1kg.

Is that enough?

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Ta - that sounds fab, but can you explain to a stupid non-gym going person like myself how to do each of those exercises? or is there somewhere I could find out?

Apologies for being so useless!!
  • Love the idea of doing these exercises during Eastenders! If only I could raise myself from the sofa....
  • Doobs, When you are watching tv sit on the edge of your chair. Extend your arms and hands over your head and slowly lower your hands behind your head. Now try it holding on to something like say a full unopened beer can. You do not need much weight. You should feel your arms tighten in the area you are looking to tone.
    Robin
  • Doobs, as far as I am concerned "stupid" and "non-gym-going" are mutually exclusive.

There's a good, readable, sensible illustrated guide to weight training in the K.I.S.S. series, and the fitness shelves at any big bookshop are bound to have several others. If you want minimal financial outlay, borrow a book from the library.

I have a couple of running manuals with weight training sections, but I think they're just an excuse for the authors to include pictures showing how much better than the rest of us they look in gym gear.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Hi Doobs. If you are passing by W H Smiths in the not too distant future, there are some good exercises in the latest copy of personal trainer for women magazine.
    Lots of pictures so you don't need to understand the jargon!