Options

Nasty, nasty Nike

I know I'll need some new shoes before the GNR, so this afternoon I toddled along to Sutton Runner. "Pair of Air Altheas, size 5," I said, with the attitude of a gal who knows what she's about. After all, I've had two pairs before and a recent review described them as "the best Althea so far".

Well, I'm glad I hadn't ordered them off the Internet or sent my husband to get them, because they are AWFUL! I haven't tried on anything as soggy since my mother tried to make me wear my cousin's hand-me-down plimsolls. No support, no cushioning, toe-box so narrow that I'd have to cut my little toe off to fit it comfortably.

After my authoritative entrance, I spent the next half hour trying on everything in the shop before emerging with a pair of Mizuno Wave Riders, which feel OK but not as good as my old Altheas. I shall give them a whirl on the treadmill at the gym tonight.

Next time I fall in love with a running shoe, I shall buy several pairs before the manufacturers tinker with the design.

Grrr, V-rap.

Comments

• Options
    Bad luck V rap - but thanks for the posting I've been thinking of buying a new pair of Nikes Air Pegasus - but will rush out now and get the old 2000 model whilst it's still available. Thanks (and why do they change a successful shoe so much - why not introduce a new line if they want to be diferent?)
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    SS, I prefer the new Air Pegasus - I'm onto my second pair now! They also look much better than the 2000 model, but that's a personal opinion. There's not much difference between the two models though.
  • Options
    Thanks Drew - the trouble with living out in the middle of nowhere is that the only way to buy these things is via mail order - so maybe I'll go for the new version - cos if anything works for you maybe some of it'll rub off on me.....!

Hope you enjoyed your holiday, BTW.

• Options
    V-Rap. Have you tried the Mizuno Wave Maverick? They're light, slightly supportive (to about the same degree as the althea/span I think) and they fit beautifully!

Might be worth a try!
  • Options
    I did try on the Mizuno Wave Maverick, Jon. They were fine apart from being so loose around the heel that they slipped when I tried to jog around the shop.

The Wave Riders were a bit loose too, but after a bit of experimentation with the laces I think they and I will be able to live together harmoniously.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Options
    Ahhhh!!! So good to hear! so long as you feed them the right thing and take them to the vet every now and again, I'm sure they'll be ok! How's the support?
  • Options
    Drew, new Pegs supposed to be wider around the midfoot - is that true? Tried on previous models but they cut in quite close around the arch so thought they'd chafe when your foot swells...
  • Options
    The support seems about right, Jon. I'm a very mild overpronator, and some of the shoes I tried on made me supinate, which felt most unpleasant. The cushioning feels more than adequate too. The toebox is very generous, which I need because I have broad forefeet and would prefer to avoid blisters in the short term and bunion surgery 20 years hence.

I shall give them another few outings on the treadmill before deciding finally whether to take them back or take them for their vaccinations.

Cheers, V-rap.