Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

Comments

• WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning

Thanks Jen...I did take it easy and perked up nicely so out and done my 10 miler this morning...I feel great

Oh and I have become an Aunty for the 1st time a little nephew;-)

I shall go and order him his first running shoes and trek bike:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Oooh congratulations!That's great news.

Yip,if you start training him now,he'll be ready for the 2024 Olympics,maybe even 2020 if he's really advanced!
  • Well done on your run too,glad you're feeling better.

I did a 6 miler last night.I stupidly thought that running half of it on sand would give my legs a bit of a break seens as it was hard sand,but no,by the time I got to half way my legs were killing me and I just about made it back home!

Going on the bike this afternoon and got a lovely 15 miler tomorrow morning.Not sure of a route yet,any sugestions?
  • Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

Morning people,

Congrats Poppy. Excellent news.

Jen, sand is a killer. Some people do it barefoot too as they reckon it is better.

Nothing for me yesterday but will be running tonight. God knows what though - will have to see how I feel.

15 Miles ? My longest is Gowerton, Carmarthen Rd, High St, Kingsway, Mumbles Rd, Sketty Lane, Killay, Dunvant, Gowerton. Haven't really measured it but believe it to be over 12.
  • Think i'm going to go up Afan Argoed to do it,I did most of my long runs for London up there.It's trail so a bit easier on the legs and nice and scenic.
    Pretty much flat all the way round too.

I'm never going on the sand again,it's eeeevvvvviiilllllll.
    I loved doing my LSR in Afan argoed(FLM) and another valley up there and agree my favorite place to run very scenic.I love off road shame nothing like that in Swansea

I hate running on sand done it once needless to say never repeated the process and also did a 5k on Swansea beach for club it was the most horriblest experience ever.

I did 14 last week and coach wants me to do 5 mins extra but I may...sssssh don't tell I will do 15 miles instead if all goes well:-)

good luck tomorrow Jen!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Hi all and congrats, Auntie Poppy!!

Glad you're feeling better.

I guess we all hate sand then!
  • sand is my friend, did my usual saturday morning 7 on the beach and dunes, sand a bit soft, but worth the effort!

STICK UP FOR SAND!!!
  • or probably much more poetic
    STAND UP FOR SAND!!
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    SUFS for short!

Just so people know my full stance on the matter of sand - it's ok when firm, but I'm not a fan of the soft stuff.

So, STAND UP FOR FIRM SAND - SUFFS!
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    I'll get me coat...
    Nope I hate all sand!!!

SAY NO TO SAND-SNTS

Surely you cant be needing a coat on today;-)

Fancy joining tomorrow 5.30am for a 15 miler;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
    I was aiming it at Greeny as i know how he hates long runs;-) but sadly phil not on sand!!!

All done and dusted but not without a wee drama 200m I fell in a pot hole smack down on my front on concrete luckily I only cut my knee and hand but shook me up but continued but legs felt heavy so it was a slow run but I made a mistake timing in the time as it is out and back route and ended up out longer than I had planned 2.30

just need to get the tiny gravelly bits out of my cuts:-(

TDF the afternoon I LOVE the mountain stages GO LANCE GO
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Doh! Missed the long run!

Hope you get all the gravel out!

Off to Cardiff now for Mrs Greeny birthday treat...
  • Hi folks,15 miles done and dusted for me too.Sorry to hear of your dramas WP,you ok now?
    A fall like that really shakes you up doesn't it.

My 15 miler was one of the best i've ever done.Started at Bynea and went 7 1/2 down and then turned.I ran with one of the girls from club and we were quicker coming back.Only 4 minutes quicker but quicker we were! ;-) 2 hrs 16 and felt like I could've carried on all day.I've had my ice bath and am going out on my bike tonight after TDF has finished.

I'm ready to take the world on!

WP,take care and hope you're not too hurt.Well done on doing the run,I would've been well put off if that had happened to me so good on you.

SAY NO TO SAND-SNTS

SAND-SNTS - Hmmmmmm ? Someone said to me once in the Gym, "The excercies you don't like are the ones that are best for you".

Off Fri, 10m on my bike (albeit the cycle path) yesterday. Was going to run in the evening but head in shed and sleep was the only relief.

Definatley out late tonight for a nice cool long run.
  • Poppy, you wouldn't have fallen in a pot hole if you ran on SAND! Probably a rest day for me today, don't know yet depends if my bike ride I'm off on goes past a nice pub:)
    Afternoon :-)

Back in work

Jen- I thought i got away lightly but was picking gravel out of my cuts this morning and then both shoulders hurt and bone by my hip hurts and have a bruise.I have fallen before although at FLM 2004 was a really bad fall and picked myself up and finished so I guess I am used to it!

I dont feel too bad about run know I have seen your time as I did around 15.4 in 2.30

Got into work to find my I LOVE THE TOUR DE FRANCE t shirt had come from France as well as my yellow jersey:-)

Phil I know but SAND is evil

Greeny- Whast did you get Mrs Greeny in Cardiff then.....not running trainers ;-)

6 recovery miles this morning it was hard as everything ached but by 5 miles it started to come together.

tomorrow is a fast 12 so will be challenging to say the least:-)

How is everyones training?

i rushed home from work ready to watch TDF to find I had forgotten about their rest day!!!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Bon Jour WP,sounds like a well nasty fall you had.You'll probably be sore for a few days i'd have thought but the running will probably help loosen up the joints if you jarred them when you fell.

I had my 4 week schedule off my coach yesterday.OMG it's the most ridiculous thing ever.I'm going up to 20 miles in 3 weeks time!!!I've got 18 this Sunday,18 the week after that then 20.

If anyone wants a good laugh i'll post it on here.

WP,18 miler up Afan Argoed on Sunday if you fancy coming up,probably going with another girl from club.That goes to anyone else as well.

Got a hill session tonight,can't wait,absolutely love hills.Got a lovely hill I do my sessions on,on Sketty Park Road.It's quite a pull and then it goes a bit steeper half way up so you have to dig in again!12 reps.

SAY NO TO SAND-SNTS
    Jen

Sorry doing Gloucester 1/2 on Sunday

I actually did my hill sessions on that very road in Marathon training.....12 reps...THUD have fun tonight!

Actually it sounds about right for LSR would love to take a look at your schedule(Poppy is safe in the knowledge she is not marathoning)

SNTS
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Is that the hill from the Bush up to the mini roundabouts? That brings back memories!

SAND IS GRAND!
  • The other side,Bishop Gore school side,from the traffic lights where you can go either to Sketty Cross or Sketty Park and up that hill.

Ok,this is my schedule : -

This Week : -

Mon Hills 12reps run up for 1min

Tues 10miles

Wed Club

Th 10miles

Fri 6miles easy

Sat rest

Sun 18miles

Following 4 weeks starting 24th July : -

24th

Sun 18

Mon 800's 6

Tues 10

Wed Club

Th 10

Fri 6 easy

Sat rest

31st

Sun 18

Mon 6miles easy

Tues 10

Wed Club

Th 10

Fri 6 easy

Sat rest

7Augs

Sun 20

Mon 6miles easy

Tues 10

Wed Club

Th 13 miles

Fri 6 easy

Sat rest

14th

Sun 15

Mon 800's 6

Tues 10

Wed Club

Th 13

Fri 6

Sat rest

The "rest" on Saturday is either a total rest day or bike depending on how I feel.So far,i've been biking because i've felt ok but i'm sure that in a few weeks time they'll be total rest days.

Also been thinking about "doubling up" on a Tuesday,maybe doing an easy 4/5 in the morning and the 10 in the night.Tuesday is my only day off other than Sunday so it's an option.

SNTS

Jen, the fittest (but not the fastest) I have ever been was when I was training 2-3 times a day 6 days a week. I was a bit obsessed at the time although I wish I could find that fire once more.

9am:
    stretch
    1500m row, full resistance in under 5:30
    20 mins hills (lev 14) on X trainer
    2 x 1500m @ 15kph
    Hour weights

2pm (2 out of 6 days)
    2 x 1 mile hill

8:30pm
    Run, either 5k fast, 6 miles steady or 8 miles steady.

Got down to a 42 minute 10k. This was in 2001/2.

Marathon time crap @ 4:52 though becuase I did no long runs whatsoever.

I would train in the morning, by 2pm I couuld feel my neck and shoulders tightening and almost bursting, needing to exert energy.

Your schedule looks great and I wish I could stick to something like that. Years ago I used to hate road running but love hills and intervals. Now I prefer road running.

Have you read BarnsleyRunners recent posts. he is running a 33 min 10k and a 2:45 mara o ut twice a day on 80 mpw> In 1999 he was a slob and runnig a 54 min (or was it 58 min)10k.

Poppy - have you looked at motionbased.com yet. I mailed you the details because I did not want to post my pw on the forums. Anyone else I know fancy a nose, mail me and you can have a look at it. Only got one run on there but it appears great. Speed, checkpoints, elevation, heartrate, maps etc.
  • Hey Alex,think i'm definately going to introduce doubling up over the next 6 months or so.

At the moment it's a bit difficult with working full time and everything but i'm off to university in September so hopefully should have a lot more time on my hands and will be able to train morning and evening.

I want to be running regularly at 40/50+ mpw before I introduce doubling and when i'm comfortably doing that i'll slowly introduce it.

My hills were good tonight,a very intense session but quite short so it was of good quality.

I'm sort of doubling tomorrow,going for a short run in the morning,meeting at the Grange at 10,going on the coastal path for a bit and then using our day passes (myself and Ingrid who you met Alex).Then i've got 10 tomorrow night.

SNTS

I can apprecite the work probs Jen. My work and loads of other things get in the way all the time.

I am only running 20-30 mpw at the moment with the odd bad week where I will only do 10. Hills used to be my fave of all. I did a lot of hill training last Jan/Feb. Was flying up and down dunvant hill. Various pedestrians obviously did not know what to make of it at all !

Great on the Uni thing. What are you studying ? Really enjoyed my time at uni albeit I stayed at home in Swansea due to financial constraints.

Just done 20mins hills on X trainer and 2km @ 16kmph on treadie. Dripping wet !

Do you use a Germin or other GPS Jen ?

Hope you had a great day. That costal path is excellent.

And poppy, how's things with you, injury et all ? And Jinx, are you away ? (Logical problem with that question I know !)
  • Hiya,just got back from the Grange.My first day of "doubling" ever! Ingrid "speedy gonzales" Taylor and I went for a 40 minute run first of all and going at her pace I think we must of done between 5 and 6 miles,probably nearer 6.

We then went and used the sauna,steam room and jacuzzi as our reward.It was lush.

Got a 10 miler tonight.

I'm studying for a Business and Finance degree in uni,3 year course,can'twait to go.Only about 6 weeks till I finish work.I'm going to UWIC in Cardiff,awesome for sport.

I don't use GPS,i've got a Polar heart rate monitor and that's about as technical as I get.

SNTS
    sorry after a week off my desk is groaning with all the paper work

I also enjoyed my time at Uni

12 miles@8.51 pace was to be 8.45 done this morning so it was quick shower and change and into work I have 30 mins to do the lot and eat breakfast.

shoulders sore but feeling better each day had a long soak in bath last night and it seemed to help.

I too trained up Dunvant hill although at a slower pace to Alex it is a tough one.

Also if prone to injury be careful doing doubles I did that last year just 3 times a week not gone back to it yet while things are going well dont want to do anything to Jinx it....Sorry Jinx;-)

But time is a hard with everything so not sure I would have the time anyway.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
    PS I have my Tour T shirt on in work:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression