Windy Race

I have just been running only 6 months and have been gradually building up distance and speeds. Last week I did 17 kms in my preparation for the Half Marathon in August. I took it easy because I didn't know how I would cope. It went fine and did it in 1hr 27 mins. I recovered fine lowering my pulse below 100 in 2 mins. The problem I had though was with my stomach. I felt like I wanted to do a number 2 from 10 kms onwards. Not only that I had to let a little pressure from my stomach as I was running. I've done a search for stomach prolems whilst running but haven't found anything. Is this a common reaction to longer distances. Whe I was getting a little tired around 15 kms it was really plaguing me and that worries me for moving on up to full marathon maybe next year. Anyadvice

Comments

• I think there has been a very long thread on this subject of "windy runs".

Runners trots are fairly common as are "windy runs".

I tend to suffer more from "windy runs" in the evening usually starts after about 40 mins to an hour and doesn't last long. I just make sure I am not too close to my running partner at the time.

This sort of time may settle itself as you get fitter.
  • I guess my eating a BBQ 2 hours before the run didn't help matters. But that was good to hear about Glycogen for the run. I have been wondering about carbo loading etc. I have been following a low carb diet for six mnths and have lost 40Lbs and don't want to shock my system just to get the muscles loaded. I haven't had any problems with the running and have have been training a lot recently. I've had 2 weeks at over 40Kms training runs the last two weeks. I'm now concerned about my ability to pace myself though. My aim for the half marathon is 1hr 44mins. I know I can do this after my run last week. But it's how much I can up my tempo and maintain it and also not get the wanting toilet sensation distraction for another 5 kms.
  • I am not a fan of low carb diets.

Race pace should really only be done in a race, for tempo runs you do race pace for short periods, long runs should be done at a slower pace than race pace.