Training-half marathon

I've 9 weeks left before a half marathon. How should I adapt the training plan given here to suit the amount of time left (think the plan outlined here is for a 12 week training course).

Is it all right to translate the distance into heart rate since I have no way of knowing the distance I've covered? If yes, what's the rule?

Comments

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    If you are a regular runner already Jinsi Yip, then just pick up the training from the 9 week point. I'm not sure about how you would translate the distance into heart rate, but you could certainly translate it into time on feet.
  • Thanks, Hilly. I've been running 4 times a week, about 9km each time but I haven't been doing speedwork at all but i guess i should start this week.

How would you translate the distance to time? I'm not sure what my pace is.

• If you are doing about 9km each time then you are doing really well and have a good base to start at wk 3 or 4 of the training program. Don't worry too much about speedwork if this is your first half.

Next time you do your 9km just time it and from this you will get your running pace in terms of kms or miles. Run at your normal comfortable pace.

Best of luck.
  • I ran my first Half using a sub-2:15 schedule and managed 2:2. My second Half was two weeks later and I managed 1:55. I intend to do a third Half at the end of July, but wonder if I need to follow the above schedule for 12 weeks or if there is another way of improving my PB by identifying and building on my weak points. Any advice?
  • The more miles per week you do, the better you will get, but increase gradually. A weekend long run is vital. A midweek shorter/faster session is a good variation.

I used to think that plodding round was junk mileage, but it ain't. They call it base training...establishing a base from which to develop your performance.

Are you on 20, 30, or more miles per week? Use your chosen figure as a target to get out when its dismal. I do.
  • Mileage is 20-25 at the moment, weekly long run is 9-10 miles but was more before the Halfs. Just have to put the mileage in and be glad it's spring. Thanks
  • I AM RUNNING A 1/2 MARATHON IN 12 WEEKS TIME - I HAVE LOOKED AT YOUR 12 WEEK SCHEDULE BUT NOT SURE WHERE I FIT IN. AT MOMENT I AM DOING A LONG RUN OF 8-9 MILES AT WEEKEND AND THEN BASICALLY PLODDING MIDWEEK. I AM NOT A FAST RUNNER BUT WOULD LIKE TO GET FASTER. I ONLY HAVE ROADS AND BEACHES WHERE I LIVE SO NO TRACKS FOR 600M RUNNING. HOW DO I GET MY PACE TO BE QUICKER. I HAVE DONE 2 1/2 MARATHONS BETWEEN HAVING KIDS BUT MY TIMES HAVE ALWAYS BEEN 2.05,2.10. I WOULD LOVE TO BREAK THE 2 HR MARK AND FEEL I CAN THIS TIME. ANY ADVICE ON HOW I GET MY SPEED UP?
  • I've just finished the London Marathon in 4hrs 40min. I want to do a half marathon in July.Should I start at the beginning of a schedule or can I just ' jump 'in at say week 3/4 of a schedule and rely on fitness gained during my marathon training
  • None of the schedules are set in stone, you need to adapt them to what suits you.

Katie, you don't need a track to run 600m, 800m is half a mile (you can measure that in a cra if necessary and run 3/4 of it). IMHO you need to extend your long run and do some shorter faster runs midweek. The long run will build your endurance and the shorter ones will enable you to up the pace. The two will come together to make you faster over a half (at least that's how it worked for me).

Tony, once you've recovered from the marathon jump in at an appropriate place on the schedule - if you can call a 10 mile run easy at the pace specified and that's what the schedule says to do then join in there (though obviously you'll need a gentle week or two reintroducing your body to the effort).
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • I used the 2-2:15 schedule last year and came in at 2:01:50 at Nottingham. This year i'm using the sub-2hr and at the start to week 5, already a 10k pb, and feel confident of a sub 1:55 half marathon - Nottingham again.

Although, not running 5 times per week, only 3.
  • I've also jumped in on a training program for the 1/2. I don't follow it religously but use it as a guide. I do 1 session of intervals per week (that is the hard one) one long run and 2-3 other easy 7-8 km's. I've only been running 6 months but am aiming for sub 1.45 1/2marathon. (I'm 37) I was at a physio yesterday and he said I'm doing too much too fast and if I continue I could get injured. (I get tight in my left hamstring during and after a run).After the 1/2 marathon (20th Aug) he suggested I go down to running 3x a week. I'm confused because I feel good and been run +40Kms per week in the last 2 weeks. Also I lost 40Lbs in 6 months :-)
  • 10 miles today, Sunday of week 5 training plan. But very please with this weeks training as I got a 7 mile pb of 59:45. Not elite athlete I know, but mighty good going for me.
  • downer - I've just been to the physio again and he has told me shorten the distance I run in a week now. I am an accident waiting to happen. He has been working on my hamstrings and says they are not developed enough in the 6 months of running to do such mileage in a week. I have been suffering a little lately with tight hs's so this is a warning he seems to say. 1/2 marathon in 3 weeks now and I won't do above a 10 mile run until the race. I thought my development was going a little too fast
  • The start of week #7

Last sunday saw a pb 10mile of 1:25:20, but it was tough. I went out too fast and suffered for it!

This sunday is a 13 miler - should be fun!
  • Hi BJ
    I noticed you have used one of these schedules before so can I ask you a question? Did you race a 10k the weekend before your last HM race?
    I really want to do a 10k race the weekend before the GNR but as it is my first HM I am unsure if it is a good idea so am trying to get as many opinions as possible. The schedule for the sub 2 hr HM recommends full out effort any ideas?
  • Hi
    I didn't run the 10K B4 nottingham last year, I just ran a nice & gentle 10K training route. I use the plan as a guide, going out 3 times a week where as the plan calls for 5 times - I just haven't the time to do that.
  • Thanks BJ - I suppose I am just going to have to wait till nearer the time and see how my legs are reacting to the stresses that I am putting on them.
  • I went out last Sunday and did a slow (9m mile) 11 miler and it about killed me. Don't understand it, as the previous week I did 10 miles in 1:25 and felt great.

5 miles hills tonight, then 13 miles on Sunday

gluton for punishment - but it's great!
  • completed 13 miles on sunday in 1:56:12. Couple of "nice" hills which slowed me down a wee bit - looking at sub 1:55 for Nottingham!

Here's hoping!
  • I completed the 1/2 marathon. It was amazing. I had no problems anywhere and fealt strong all the way round. I finished with 1hr 41secs. The amazing thing was all the niggles that had troubled me in traning never bothered me in the race. My nips were even bleeding when I finished but I hardly felt that. I feel I could have opened up a little earlier and actually come under 1hr40. I know for next time. I'm considering the step up for full mara next year. One thing though - I dropped away from the training plan with three weeks to go and trained three times aweek at about 25ks in total. I was worried I wasn't trained enough but I did the run in 6 mins better than I thought I could.
  • Could anyone give me so advice, I am a regular but slow runner, what ever I do whether it be a 5k, 10k or 1/2 marathon I can't seem to move from the 10min/mile mark. I have tried speed work but find it very hard to move from my normal pace, I feel like i'm never going to improve. I have a half marathon in 9 weeks time and would like to get close to the 2hr mark is this a bit too ambitious I am currently running 3-4 times per week totalling about 18miles!
  • Hi all

I'm a bit confused by the training plan instructions (maybe I'm being dense!)

e.g. 

TueSpeedwork4M (inc 4 x 600m, 200m jog)10K40 mins

8/10 

Does this mean the 600m sections are at 10k pace? Or the parts that are not intervals are at 10k pace? Or does it mean that the 600m sections are 8/10 effort and the rest of the run to make up 4miles is 10k pace?

Also, why is the overall distance in miles and the intervals in metres? Makes it difficult to track on a phone app GPS where you need to specify either km or miles (I know that I can convert it, but it would seem to make sense to keep the units consistent within the plan, wouldn't it?)

• i am pretty good shape, ran a marathon last year and have maintained about 65 miles per month on average mostly shorter runs 5-7 miles.. have been varying runs with hill work and tempi runs to keep it interesting.. i am doing the great north and nottingham this year so am starting this week with the 12 week sub 2 - pb is 2:09.. any thoughts on how to vary the fartlek sessions - last year when i did my mar than i downloaded a program on my garmin - can't find them now i think they have been taken down so its manual programming the watch...

cheers.. image