Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

Comments

• Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

Wasn't that the one (Toronto) advertised on this site a while ago. Flights are cheap and it looks ok.

Mmmmmm Cows Mmmmmmm
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Yes it really is a good deal flights £200.00 from Gatwich a lovely hotel linked to marathon 10 mins away £58.00 double room per night Flight leaves Wednesday back the following Tuesday only problem marathon is 25th september rea;lly does not leave me with any time

NOT that I am thinking about it at all!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
    NO MARATHON FOR POPPY TILL NEXT YEAR!!!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

Carefull, one slip of the mouse ...
  • Hiya,of course you won't be last,there's a real mixture of standards.Some 17 minute fasty boys and some 35 minute slowys.

So,about the hill.....I well fancy doing a session on it.How long did you go up it for?1 minute intervals?

I think I might make that my hill from now on......

And,about the M word,if you were considering it seriously (hypothetically considering it seriously of course) your long run is up to 15 so you're about right training wise,in fact,probably ahead of schedule.

Not that you're going to do it or anything anyway,just hypothetically......

Dunvant hill looks like it is mighty popular. Both directions from Dunvant Square are mighty useful. Never bumped in to anyone else on it but by the looks of it goodness knows how not !

Well then. Just too tempting wasn't it !

Gowerton - Dunvant Square 3X's Gowerton

5 Miles. Ran all the way except 30 secs when I stopped to read a planning notice in 3X's.

My Carlos Fandango Gear reckons only 602 feet of climbing (compared with 1071 yesterday round waun'dd / cockett / kingsbridge / garngoch). Obviously though all the climbing was in one big f*** o** hill. My av pace on for ascent was 8.58 miniute miles although there were one or two bits where I was down to a 10 minute mile.

Also, before I left, my heart rate hit 225 standing in the garden doing nothing. I guess it must be new battery time as during the run it lost my HR a couple of times too.

How's it gone with everyone else ?

Considering testing out sand tomorrow. Jinx's mention of Penrice & 3 Cliffs sounds really tasty. Not been there for years.

SYTS - Oh, and while I am at it BLACK IS WHITE
  • Club session tonight was a hoot and my legs felt a whole lot better after the session than when I started which is nice.

Got a hard 10 miler tomorrow.Suggest a route for me someone.

225 in the garden?The flowers aren't that exciting surely??

We ought to have a hill session together one night,it'd be fun.
    Running late

so will read back later

12 miles done and dusted 2 miles hard 2 miles easy...hard being 8.30 pace and actually did it so coach will be happy with me.

OMG Toronto is looking soooooooooooo tempting

Jen
    You are a bad woman giving me ideas!!

Glad I won't be last at the 5K:-)

Have fun out there today
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DOWN to 10 minute miles!!!!

<<thud>>

Morning,

Too much garlic for me last night.

CDK - Sorry about your thud. Poppy, You are getting in a good amount of long runs and looks like you are doing well with it. You are doing many more long ones than me but I hope to catch up over the coming months. I would like to be in the position where I can do a fast 16-20 comfortably. Realisticly speaking anything over 8 and my form starts to flag.

Jen, hang on, someones baning the door, back soon.

Jen, how about

Gowerton - Waun'dd, at cockett end of station road turn right, after police station turn left down gors ave, at rdbt on Gors ave bear left down heol-y-gors. This brings you out at the roundabout at the bottom of carmarthen rd (just below trainers). Then follow Carmarthen Rd all the way to tesco Xtra. Turn left after tesco xtra then right to re-join carmarthen rd. Past CEM Days and straight on to kingsbridge, then Kingsbridge back to Gowerton.

Route is mildly undulating.
  • Hi from work

(I may get blocked at any minute - I am only allowed 20 minutes)

If Jen does that route - she will be passing the end of my street. I can supply water and energy drinks ;0))

On a serious note - I have done a similar route in that I have done Cwmbwrla to Killay via Cockett, up the cycle track to Gowerton and then up toward CEM Days and past Tesco Xtra etc. That road from Kingsbridge to Fforestfach is a bit dodgy traffic wise - it's bad enough for the cyclist, so if you are doing that route, take care.

Oh and watch out for the dogs and horses on the Gors!!
    CDK

I though you were saying you had run sub 10mm sorry got it wrong!!

Alex
    I just love the miles I am not a fast runner like the rest of you guys in here.I just do what coach has set out for me since my back spasm's at end of April and we have just built it up i was shocked when I saw the mileage I am doing as I did not think I had done that many miles;-)

But I intend to make desicion about you know what by Sunday I blame Jen she has put ideas in my head :-)

My head is being sensible but my heart and my friend Sue and boss says you only have one life so go for it even if you do carp time you can go back next year(but the though of not doing well is something i really cant cope well with I was devastated at FLM and took a long time to get over it)!!!! i did say I dont own the business I just work for them and I am going to amsterdam in October to do the half:-)

Jen

maybe Alex so someone or something in the garden that made his heart race;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

CDK - "Kingsbridge to Fforestfach" As long as you don't run on the bypass (which I have done before now btw) I reckon it is ok, although the traffic is pretty fast on it.

Poppy - I am not fast either, but I plan to be ! I do plan too to increase the distance of my long runs, and I hope that all this summer running will really benefit me in the winter. Once the air gets nice and cold I should really speed up. Usually I have done very little running in the summer so this is quite a break from the old routine.
  • Hiya folks,had a lovely email off my coach today insisting that I have a rest day today.I haven't had a full rest day for nearly 2 weeks so happy days!

Thanks for your suggestions for the 10 milers,will no doubt do them at some point.

Got an easy 6 tomorrow,biking on Saturday and then 18 up Afan Argoed Sunday.

Not liking this hot weather again.

Got my FLM entry form today,the GFA deadline is the Friday before Cardiff mara so i'm doing it I suppose for guaranteed 2007 entry.I'm keeping my fingers crossed i'll get in for 2006 through the ballot or get a club place.Never mind.

Jen

You could always do Toronto well before cut of for GFA:-)

You could also do Boston if you get your GFA place at Toronto;-)

Good you dont want to over cook do you:-0

It is lovely at 5.30am so cool and fresh;-)

Actual I am so envious of your 18 up Afan Argoed

think next week will have to slot a 20 miler in if I am considering Toronto but mid week as Tenby 10k at weekend.

6 miles for me tomorrow middle 2 really hard.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Hi,sounds good.Can't really think about doing any marathons aborad because i'm off to uni so isn't really practical.I will definately do some after I finish uni though.

I can't imagine getting up at 5.30 to run.I'm more of an evening person.I'd still be half asleep!

Last year I went through a phase of going swimming every morning before work.I was getting up at 6am,down the pool by 6.15,doing an hour and a half and then going home.By tea time I was ready for bed!

I suppose you get used to it though.

Nice to have a rest day today.It's the first evening in ages i've been able to chill out and watch carp on telly and not feel guilty!

Enjoy your runs tomorrow everyone :-)
    I have decided finally decision after my 1/2 on Sunday for the M word but think i know what my answer will be!

I have trouble eating away from home I get so nervous before a race I really cant eat a great deal so think I maybe in trouble.Plus the jet lag etc and no way I am putting myself through all that and then not get the GFA place no thank you it would crush me .

OMG it is past my bedtime I better shoot off or I will never get up at 5am tomorrow
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

5 am is about bed time in an ideal world.

Took car to Gym, 12 mins hills on X-T. 4 x Chest excercises, felt weak. Packed it in. Ate a pizza.

Morning Morning

How are we all feeling this morning bright and breezy:-)

Run all done it was lovely out there a nice breeze

Alex - you do have some heathy food don't you....:-)
    Are you feeling okay and still weak have you done too much?? not eaten enough to sustain your training?????
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

Morning. Knakered last night and not feeling fully inflated this morning.

Last few fays I have eaten (typicly)

Beans on toast or alpen for breakfast
    1 x 450g Apricot Yoghurt
    1 x pasta meal
    1 x tuna salad
    750ml orange juce
    3 x coffee
    2l x water
  • Hiya,how's everyone doing?

Really enjoyed my rest day yesterday.Raring to go tonight now,got a nice easy 6.

Weather forecast is great for the weekend,cooling down and rain :-)

Alex
    Does not sound enough to me you need to eat more!!
    Your body is telling you it has not got enough to train!!

brillaint race might go a little better than expected then;-)

Jen

Good luck tonight

i have rest day tomorrw and i will have to be so good and not do any running I always feel exhausted on a non running day!!!

GO LANCE GO

SNTS
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough, I have a rest day tomorrow too.

Do you think that next year, we might just have the one thread for the whole series?

That sure is a decent breaky, Alex! Makes my sheddies look puny (which they are 'cos they're bite size!)
    Greeny

I will see what I can organise next year;-0

You too having a rest day are you racing on Sunday as well then;-)

Porridge is the best breakfast with fresh blueberries...Mmmmmm
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
    SYTP????
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Say Yes To Porridge!

SYTP

SNTS.

End of.
    Off course!!!

SYTP

SNTS

Have you tried 2oz porrige
    150ml orange juice
    1 grated apple
    bowl blueberries
    soak over night and then eat in the morning
    delicious
    I do sprinkle something on it but cant remember what it is....just remebered ground linseed
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression