Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Welcome to the thread Anthony - Running is a good hobby. Some of us will be running the Dervock half-marathon this Saturday.

I did 7.5 miles of hills this evening.

There are plenty of marathons over in England, in Ireland we only have 4 marathons all year.
  • Hi Anthony I agree a lot of runners don't get into it until later in life. I find that a lot of footballers eventually end up running once they reach the age they can't hold down a place in the team. When I was at school it was mainly football and sometimes we were sent out running but there was no coaching. I think you have to get young people interested and make it fun but a lot of them prefer team sports. What sort of distances do you race?
  • I hve completed the Taunton half marathon, Kenneth thats my furthest distance to date. But my favarite is 10k.

Your right seamus there is a lot to choose from here in England the problem is getting a place. I only enter two or three runs a year but I train regurly at the gym and long runs at the weekends. I am very lucky as I live in a little village in somerset so the views are great and there is not much traffic to dodge.

Still trying to get over a knee injury that I picked up in April I have just recently started running on the treadmill but I still do most of my training on the rowing machine and the bike.
  • Anthony - Half marathons are very enjoyable runs. My best time for a half is 1hr 51 mins. I am a bit of a plodder.

Kenny - I can't wait until Saturday. I think I have over trained this week. From Sunday until today Wednesday I did 42.5 miles. The 9 I ran today were definitely JUNK miles.

I won't do this again - two consecutive days of training are fine , but 4 in a row just sickens you.

I can rest from now until Saturday.

Best of luck to everyone else in the training.
  • Anthony my favourite distances would be 5 or 10 miles. I've ran 2 marathons and the feeling at the end is great. I thgink if you have a good race it dosn't matter what distance it is you rae on a high if you have a bad race you can be hard to live with for a day or two. Its just good to be able to get out there and run. Keep up the training.
    Seamus going out for our pre race 3 miler tonight still havn't made up my mide yet.
    You need a certain amount of rest Seamus but when the weather is good nad you have the time it difficult not to want to go for a run. See you on Saturday I'll be there even if I don't run.
  • I am afiard im a bit of a plodder too. My best time at the half is 1:56. I have improved since my first one at 2:32 three years ago so Im proud of my 452 place this year!!! Looking forward to the Taunton 10k in September its a flat route so you can always get a good time.

I have been throwing some swimming into my training its supprising how difficult it is. I mananged 400m today but I am still resting every 50m. Hope it as some positive effect on my fitness.
  • Anthony - 1.56 is an excellent time. Although I classify myself as a plodder I'm very content to be able to run at that speed. There's so many people who would love to be able to run a half-marathon in 3 hrs.

Kenny - How did the 3 miler go this evening?

I can't swim, but most people say its the best all round form of exercise.

Kennt - Is the Dervock course hilly or fairly flat?
  • Anthony - It doesn't matter what time you finish, its the taking part and sometimes there's better fun at the back of races.

Swimming should be good for overall fitness. I can't swim, but I do some rowing. But I would need to do more.

Kenny - How did your 3 miler go?

Is the Dervock course hilly?
  • I thought the first message didn't go through -
  • I thought the first message didn't go through - I see it did
  • Hi Anthony you have plenty of variety in your training which stops you becommming bored. You swimming is simalar to mine my technique is poor and I have to rest after each lenght (25m). Any type of exercise is bound to do some good. Stick at it and maybe someday you'll be able to do a triathlon.
    Seamus the 3 miler turned into 5 as we went round and measured and marked the course for Wednesday night. Nice easy pace.
    Dervock is far from flat a lot of hills but no real steep ones similar to Omagh.
  • Thanks for that Kenny. I haven't done any running since Wednesday.
  • Hi all. Done 9 miles this morning with no calf tightness. Really enjoyed every step although time not great but really delighted my calves are giving me the chance to progress. Glad to hear youse are all training hard. Kenny defo doing run in Ballymoney but going to sign up on the night if that is ok as I dont know for defo who else is doing it with me.
  • ladyluck - that's great to see that you're running well again. 9 mile is no mean run.

Kenny - That was a great Dervock run. The weather was perfect - it was quite hilly - but it was well marked and signposted. I would say I enjoyed that run better than any other one that I did. I had a PB of 1hr 46 mins 39 secs. I don't know how I did it as my previous PB was in Stranraer of 1hr 51 mins.

Kenny - You were going well - Did you enjoy the run?

I'm looking forward to the Riada 5 next Wednesday.
  • ladyluck 9 miles is a good run for anybody to do keep it up.

well done seamus on the PB and what a great time.i am sure you were on such a high after the race.it makes all the hard work worthwhile.on this form a sub 4hrs could be on in longford.

done a 15 miller this morning in 2hrs 17mins felt good the last few miles.need to get a few shorter runs in during the week along with a speed session but finding it hard to make the time for this at the moment.
  • Ladyluck glad to hear you are feeling better nine miles is a good run. The Riada run you can enter on the night.
    Seaamus you were going well 1:46 is a good time for that course. I saw you in front of me till about the 2mile marker then you pull away. I had a good run 1:51 felt strong but tired a bit at the end but was 16 minutes faster than Lisburn. Medication kicking in now looking forward to Ballyclare. Good run well organised this year wilth bottled water were else would you get a half for £3.
    Jim thats good running was it not very warm when you were out.
    Anyone heard from Baldy did he do Portaferry.
  • Well done Seamus on ur PB of 1 46, that was a big difference on ur previous PB. Kenny glad to hear ur done the Dervock and got a great time especially with it being so hilly. Was that a PB for you? Seamus you need a medal for keeping up ur training at the moment never mind running a race. How is mummy and baby keeping? Hope all is well. Tonight going to do a recovery run of 3 miles easy. Legs felt a bit heavy yesterday and still a bit stiff today after 9 miler on Sunday but I am sure that is normal. Is is ok to progress by adding a mile onto my long run every week? Was kinna thinking if the Great North Run goes well I cld maybe do the Dublin marathon. Am I being too optimistic?
  • Ladyluck my PB was set many years ago before I got married at 85 mins. Got married and my running went down hill. Four years ago I ran Dervock in 1:42 and if I could get anywhere near that I would be happy. Would like to get under 1:40. Every time I seem to be making progress something crops up but I'll keep pluging away.
    I am not sure about Dublin maybe just a little to soon but you could keep building up and make a decision closer to the time. Have you ever ran a marathon before? I have ran 2 and have had a good years running behind me before I've ran them.
    See you Wednesday when I might have a bit more time to chat.

• Hello everyone - glad to see you're all still at it. I'm doing 5K on Saturday in a charity triathlon relay event in Castlewellan - any advice on how fast to run a short race - other than, as fast as I can? Or is it as obvious as that......
  • Glad to hear from you again Chris. 5K's are hard. You have to more or less go out and blast them but the good thing is they are over in about 20 - 25 mins. Good race to improve your speed.
  • That is my thoughts Kenny. Might focus on doing the Belfast Marathon instead. I have never ran a marathon before, in fact I have never ran over 9 miles so next week is completely new territory. I have only ran in 1 race due to my injuries and it was the 5 mile leg of the Belfast Marathon Relay so quite excited but a bit nervous about taking part this week. will probably be one of the last ones to cross the finish line. Prob do 9 minute miles. I know it is not great but I am just there to get my first medal (sad I know).
  • Ladyluck I think Belfast is more realistic
    a good winters training behind you will leave you in better shape to tackle the 26 miles. On Wednesday night run the race at your own pace and don't worry about being last I've been there and got the tee shirt and you get as much respect as anyone one else for getting out there and completing the course. The last man home last year took 50 minutes and I think he got a lift in the police car. In race conditions you tend to run a bit quicker than in training. Just go out give it your best shot and enjoy it.
  • Kenny - You had a great run doing it in 1hr 51mins. When I did that in Stranraer I couldn't beleive it.
    You can reach that 1hr 42 again Kenny.

Some days everything just clicks and that happened me on Saturday. It might be a few years before I have a run like that again.

Jim - That was a great time for your 15 mile run - keep it going.

ladyluck -Good to see that you're enjoying your running. The best of luck in Ballymoney on Wednesday night. I might see you there.

Chris - I run to music and it helps me to improve my times. I've done this since last November and I couldn't run without either a radio or tapes. I did a hill run this evening and my wife made me up a tape of fast songs - my time for the hills went down from 67 mins to 63 mins. I'm taking the same tape to Ballymoney for the 5 mile run. I hope it improves my time (PB for 5 miler is 39 mins 3 secs.. I will let you all know if it does on this thread.
  • Seamus I'll keep plugging away. If I could get a spell with no injury or medical problems I could get back to low 1:40's but something always crops up when I am going well. I have run on the cross country with music but don't feel safe running on the open roads as I like to listen out for traffic. What type of music do you listen to.
    Good luck tomorrow night the way you are running you should break 39 unless you are still suffering from Saturday. But when you are on a high from a good run you can sometimes push yourself on.
  • I really do hope I am not last tomorrow night, even second last would not be too bad. Will be nice to meet u Seamus if u r there. U can help cheer me across the finish line. How many people usually enter?
  • Kenny - any type of music, pop/rock music, Status Quo, Wizard, Roy Wood, all the 70s/80s stuff. I'll try my best tomorrow night.

ladyluck - you'll do OK. I remember my first 10K in Maghera in 2002. I finished it in 59 mins and felt very good.
  • Hi ladyluck last home usually get the biggest cheer. I used to worry when I went to races about finishing last but when it happens a couple of times you get used to it. Its about you yourself achieving what you set out to do. When I ran the senior x country championships in February I was lapped by everyone except one runner. A couple of weeks later a runner stoped me in the street and congratulated me because I had the guts to go and give it a go while better runners stayed away.
    Last year we had 100 runners hoping for a few more this year.
    If you are looking for Seamus he is tall dark and handsome in other words he's over six foot.
  • Thanks for the words of encouragement. Kenny what time to I have to be there to register. Can't believe how nervous I am but I know if I get 1 run behind me the next one wont be so bad. My hubby was going to run it with me for support but he went out last night for a run and pulled his calf muscle so he is going to wait at the finish line with the kids to cheer me on which will be great.
  • Registration is open from 5.15 at the Joey Dunlop Leisure Centre. Looks like its going to be a good day. You'll be OK once you get going. Its good that you will have a few supporters at the finish to cheer you home.
  • Kenny - That was a well organised race from start to finish. Pass on my gratitude to all the other people involved.

I managed another PB of 38mins 21 secs for a 5 miler. I am definitely taking to the fresh air around Dervock/Ballymoney area.

ladyluck - How did you get on? I was looking out for you but didn't see you. I hope you enjoyed the run.

I think the next run is the 10 miler in Ballyclare.

The best of luck to all in the training.

Kenny - Is James still running? - haven't heard from him for a while.