Numpty IM Bike Thread

Comments

• no they wouldn't, the lead one would drop like a stone, the feather would flutter
  • well, as long as no-one hits escape velocity and has to be retrieved from the stratosphere we should all be alright.

• precisely FB, and on a bike the terminal velocity is set by air resistance and rolling resistance resisting the garavitational pull on the mass. heavier = faster.

• No no,

vsquared = u squared +2as

Where v = final velocity
    u=initial velocity
    a = acceleration
    s = distance travelled.

Since a and s and presumably u are all equal, v must also be equal and...

Oh sod it.
    [splut]
  • Nah it wouldn't
    Didn't you do the experiments at school where you timed (pre health and safety days) a hollow metal ball and a solid metal ball of the same diameter from the first floor and both landed at the same time.
    2t yes your right the potential energy and ultimate kinetic energy of FB is greater than petal but that only comes into play when he puts the brakes on.

I can only assume the faster freewheeling is due to the higher kintic energy overcoming the friction in the bearings???
    So ignore the previous para.

Yes i am bored at work today!

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    [vapourises into a li'l spotty cloud]
  • Nah it wouldn't
    Didn't you do the experiments at school where you timed (pre health and safety days) a hollow metal ball and a solid metal ball of the same diameter from the first floor and both landed at the same time.
    2t yes your right the potential energy and ultimate kinetic energy of FB is greater than petal but that only comes into play when he puts the brakes on.

I can only assume the faster freewheeling is due to the higher kintic energy overcoming the friction in the bearings???
    So ignore the previous para.

Yes i am bored at work today!

try here

http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/gravity.htm

• the feather and the lead feather fall at the same speed IN A VACUUM.

Air resistance would be different due to different shape and surely the resistance of the tyres on the roads would increase if one person were heavier than the other?
  • that's because the air resistance against the two balls is insignificant compared to the gravitational effect.

on a bike, the difference is huge. ditto rolling resistance. the cyclists aren't falling, they are rolling down an incline.

• i've sat up on the bike on a hill and freewheeled past monique pedalling hard in an aero tuck position

if it isn't gravity, what's your explanation for why heavier people always go faster downhill then? magic ley line energy from planet zog?
  • damn comptometer.
    How am I expected to have a good discussion when it takes 10 mins for the bloody pages to refresh

Anyone know why it does that!

• ask any cyclist who has been out with others. or look up the thread and see what road racers cougie and fb have to say. heavier people do go faster down hills.
  • Aha! I've got it!

The aerodynamics rule applies.

So there is an unknown factor, which we shall call x for the purposes of the arguement.

x is the factor which makes heavier things travel faster down slopes.

Simple aint it.
  • FFM, where are you based ?

If I go to any of the bike shops in my area none of them give me any grief about being a bike numptie and they didn't know me to start with.

You need to start looking at bike shops that have diversified into just more than road bikes.
    Some of these road shops are the ones that either have a very narrow view of getting more people into cycling or try baffling you with science. Plus if you mention the word triathlon you are onto a loser already !

If you are anywhere in the North West I use Royles in Wilmslow (top end bikes of every make and do entry level sets as well), Sabar in Cheadle (specifically triathlon) and The Bike Factory in Chester.

I am sure in other areas people have a favourite shops but make them work for you and if someone takes the pi$$, walk out.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    [pads in to leave a li'l box of betablockers on the table, and pads off to do the shopping]
  • red haired girl - precisely
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    [checks mirror and vows to tone down colour next time]
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    the air resistance against my balls was insignificant...........they were firmly tucked away up my inguinal canal avoiding any possibility of coming into contact with the road....... ;O)))
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Anyway. Back to bike not physics questions. Any recommendations on bike computers? I've got a wireless on my hybrid (well I will as soon as I figure out how to change the circumference measurement thingy) but it's been a bit awkward to fit & sort out.

What other makes am I looking for? Should I be bothered to measure my cadence? I'm mostly only looking for distance & time at the moment.

And, as ever, I'm not doing an IM. I might have the kit but that's as close as it is going to get.
  • he's like a samurai
  • I shall ask around in an effort to find out. Which should stop me blowing my brains out at 3am tomorrow morning.
  • [wonders back in and looks to see if the Newtonion arguement is finally over]

Thanks Iron Rose & Gavo for brave attempts to rescue the thread back.

Iron Rose - I live in Warwick and the LBS around definately leave me feeling that they are p*ssing themselves after I leave. (Of course that might just be my own insecurities).

Gavo - the proper bikers might have a better answer, but for me, seeing the cadence makes a big difference. For a start, it helps me understand how hard I should be working...
  • Just read back and glad I did - thought Candy was getting to in depth stuff like air resistance on yer nadgers and the latest saddle design to minimise that :oS
  • based on his TOTP post that is!
  • Hi All,
    Great thread! Another thick question from a non-cyclist...

Am thinking about getting the Specialized Dolce (woman's fit) £499.

Frame: Specialized Designs for Women Columbus SLX double butted frame with replaceable derailleur hanger and Compact geometry
    Fork: Specialized Carbon forks with bonded carbon fibre legs and alloy crown
    Gears: 24 speed Shimano Sora front and Tiagra rear derailleurs
    Shifters: Shimano Sora shifters with flight deck compatibility
    Chainset: Specialized Comp chainset with 52-42-30 teeth chainrings
    Brakes: Dual pivot alloy brakes
    Wheels: Alex DA-16 alloy rims with Specialized hubs
    Tyres: Specialized All Condition Sport 700x23c tyres
    Handlebars: Specialized Zertz Womens handlebars
    Stem: Specialized stem
    Saddle: Womens Body Geometry Dolce saddle
    Seatpost: Specialized carbon fibre seatpost
    Pedals/Extras: Composite body pedals

Does this sound a reasonable choice for a beginner cyclist aiming for triathlon? If not anyone got any recommendations?

Am I being ripped off into thinking its better cos its a 'woman's fit'?

Are Evans Cycles in London OK? Any of you londoners recommend anywhere else?

Thanks lots!
  • Slugster,

That's a decent bike and one which makes most of the recommendations. I believe it's the bike Jane Tomlinson did her IM training on. Regarding the fit, you really need to try it. Womens fit is best for some women. Normal for others.

Evans are a reasonable shop, get tehnm to match the price of Edinburgh Cycles who I think are doing this model for £425 at the moment (or get them to include £75 of kit for free - shoes, pedals, shorts etc)
  • FFM have you tried the bike shop in tavistock street in (yeah I know) coventry?
    Always found the bloke there quite reasonable.
    The ones in leamington are for kids or just rude!
  • Slugster,
    I bought the Specialized Allez a couple of years ago, and I think the Dolce is a women's specific-version of it.
    Yeah, decent bit of kit and I've been happy with it.
    Wasn't too impressed with the tyres in the wet over Winter so swapped those, but have ridden it for a couple of years, done a couple of Centurys.

I testrode a Trek 1000 for the same price, decided I preferred the Spesh, particularly as it had carbon forks and the Trek was only Chromoly.

Testride a few, see what you prefer, see what sort of service the shop seems it'll give you.
  • Presumably at 5'4" a woman's fit would suit me better?