Numpty IM Bike Thread

Comments

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Take it to a shop, preferably one that builds frames if there are any near you - if the frame is cracked then it may well be scrap.

There are loads of possible sources of creaking, and creaking can be difficult to locate as the sound can travel on the frame. If it is up there then possibly where the bars clamp to the stem?
  • Many thanks. I've tightened these as well.

Re teh bike, I'll take it to a shop then. I hope it is ok.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    gumps - re tightening screws......be careful not to overtighten them or they can cause stress points..........

and use an antibinding compound on them to stop them binding when tight - this will also help to stop the creaking as dry screws can often do this............I use it on all threaded points on my bike (and shoe cleats).........
  • Q. Is antibinding agent the same as the screwlock stuff one can get from Halfords?
  • Gumps, is your fork carbon? I get the same sort of creaking noise from my bars when I'm out the saddle - I figured it was the steerer being a bit unhappy. The headtube is so long that the stem is flush against the end of the steerer.

• Actually that's a decent question seeing as I have spashed the cash on a Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork for my new bike.

Q. What are differences and benefits of carbon over steeel or alu forks?
  • Q. Is antibinding agent the same as the screwlock stuff one can get from Halfords

A. I use copperslip ... available from halfords
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Lighter than steel, supposed to be not as harsh as alu.

Yes I'd be careful tightening up your headset as you can easily damage it. I'd only tighten it if it's obviously loose which you can check by hand by seeing if there is any play or juddering when you brake.
  • Especially on a carbon steerer.

I don't see why a crack in the BB housing would mean write off (for steel, I would write off Ally) - can they not just re-weld it?
  • My seat tube corroded from within - the only option was to take that tube out and replace with another one. The cost of that was close to the cost of a new frame though....

I thought Screwlock was the blue stuff you put on bolts to keep them coming undone (like tribar bolts and things).

Antiseize is a grease with bits of copper in it to stop the alloy threads on pedals binding with the cranks. Which reminds me - I think I'm overdue to do that.
    I think that screwlock stuff makes the bolts creak more whereas antibinding compund allows a little play in the bolts so they don't creak............and as said, NEVER overtighten the headset bolt especialliy with carbon steerers as they will crack easily.........
  • And don't tighten a seat binder bolt too tight on a carbon seatpost.

Carbon is wonderful stuff (according to those trying to sell it !) as it's light, strong, reduces vibration, etc

But it tends only to be strong in whatever direction the sheets of carbon are laid, and pretty weak in other directions.

Relevant here for tubes like seatposts or fork steerers, where it's not strong at all against you crimping it by overtightning the clamp bolt.

Seen some eye-watering posts on bike forums by people saying that if you overtighten a carbon seatpin it'll crack, then suddenly snap leaving a jagged end, whereas if you overtightened alu or steel you'd just put a dent in it.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Yes I was thinking of the cougie scenario 2T - steel frame you've got to think if it's cracked in one place how long before the other tubes go - if it's a cheapish steel frame then it's a case of how much is it worth spending, I got my winter frame with forks for £60 brand new off ebay.
  • Gotcha.

Pops, what kit did you stick on it (and how much?)

I'm wanting a bike I can leave outside uni, and use for the winter, but I dunno whether to go for a cheap new (bottom range dawes or something) or go for a secondhand steel effort with downtube shifters (certainly the cheaper option). The problem is that it's going to have to do a shedload of miles, so although the frames not too much of an issue, the moving parts have to be reliable (if not fancy).
  • Just the respray would cost more than that !
  • I had creaking coming from my headset as well. Turned out to be ..... the cables. Seriously sounded like my headset was about to fall off and all it was was the cable routing was creaking as I turned the bars. Best way to find outstand bike still pull cable routing away from the bike to check for creaking and then move your handlebars from left to right.

I had to change all my cables to sort it but it was driving me mad so I bit the bullet.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    2T - I got the F&F off PlanetX - I picked it up direct off one of the guys that runs it (apparently he was an international triathlete at one time - Dave Loughran ??). They were selling off old stock about this time last year.

I went a bit overboard on the kit given the cost of the F&F - think the group set was about £280ish for 10spd veloce, wheels were £150ish Ksyrium Equipe, bought bars and stem half price from Ribble but they were quite good ones, ITM millenium or something, I already had a saddle and seat post knocking about so excluding them the whole thing cost about £550. It's not bad, bit heavy but it rolls well, it's got mudguard eyes for winter though clearance is tightish. I use it for going out on group training rides too so I needed something reasonableish. For commuting I used a fixed gear I got off a mate for £50 though.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Can I say fixed gear on this thread without getting called a ponce ?
  • dunno, try it....
  • only if you explain what it means?
  • FB you ruined it. Had he said it, we could all have called him a ponce.
  • RHG - it means he takes a photo of dale winton into his local salon and says "i'd like to look like this, dahling..."
    ponce - someone who procures customers for whores..........

singlespeed - one gear, fixed
  • like a bmx? ok used to have something like that when I was about 9
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I got some suzue hubs on open pro for my fixed, clinchers rather than sew ups, tubs are just too expensive, it does for the club 10 but really need a carbon low pro for opens.
  • But the pedals keep turning when the wheel is. Fantastic fun. I like to let my pals ride it and take chunks out of their shins.
  • lol popsider, i rather think that that counts as a "bike ponce speaking in tongues"
  • You must be a great mate cougie. Always thinking of others and so giving.