Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

Comments

• SPLUTTER

What are you trying to do to me Alex?

sounds great races.....put me down for them;-)

Phil

i am ignoring your reference to my Lance and His yellow wrist band and yellow jersey<<<<<<sticks fingers in ears I am not listening>>>>>>

Well I am back felt a lot easier late last night and have been and done 10 miles easy nice and SLOW all fine thighs protested on downhill bigtime but normal service is resumed.

I am hopeless running downhill and think this may have caused my aches and pains from sunday?? especially as that is what gave me grief this morning

I hope you are not saying I am crippled???
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Good food yesterday Alex an improvement notice you never mentioned how much youghurt you had;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Morning everyone,good to hear you're back hitting the ROADS this morning.

Sand is to be sunbathed on and put in sandwiches when you go down the beach for a picnic,not to be run on.If we were meant to run on sand all the roads etc would be sand.

BTW if Dame Paula doesn't run on sand it's good enough for me.I actually want my achilles in tact not snapped in half thank you very much!

You joining us tonight Alex/Jinx?

WP,downhills kill me too.Have you done Torfaen half?The majority of that is downhill,really fast course but I couldn't hardly walk the following day after doing it and walking downstairs was rather amusing to say the least!

• Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Alex - uncooked porridge - I'm intrigued.

Do you really just shovel a couple of spoons in your mouth? Isn't it a bit dry? Is this better for you than the mamby pamby cooked in milk stuff?

• Lovley. I do put milk on it BTW.
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Ah, I see. Will try that tomorrow!

• It'll put hairs on your chest greeny.

I note what you say about running downhill poppy. I am normally quite good at that but last Sun was the first time since I used to do the Guildhall-Rhossili run that I have felt it painful to run downhill.

Jen, I'll see how my day pans out.

One thing I do want to do more of over the next week is work in the Gym. Running does next to bugger all for my stomach and appears to eat muscle like nothing else. I have lost a load of upper body strength (and size) over the last 2 years, partly deliberatley, but still miss the burn.

Anyone do leg sessions in the Gym. Poppy, perhaps you should try it. A good leg day will make you walk like John Wayne for 2 days but it is (in my view) well worth it a couple of times per month.
  • I want to start doing a weights session in the gym.

I have no idea where to start though.

Seens as you know a thing or two about gym work Alex,what sort of thing should I be doing that'll be beneficial to running?

Obviously don't want to bulk up,just want to strengthen.

• Got an 'Emergancy Situation' according to one of my tenants. Back later.

• Tenants mates kid had locked itself in a room. They could not find key so I had to let it out.

I have no idea whether whet I do is scientificly correct. I do it just because I enjoy it so I have done some research.

"Weight training: If you belong to a gym, hit the leg machines and do a couple of sets of leg extensions, leg curls, leg press and kickbacks on the glutes machine. Instead of heavy weights and 5-10 repetitions, use light weights and do 10-15 reps. Or buy leg weights and do the extensions and curls at home, as well as a couple of sets of squats and lunges. Strengthening the muscles in your legs and around your knees will protect your knees from injury.

If you can make time, add crunches or other abdominal exercises to help build strength in your core muscles. They'll fatigue less quickly when you're running."

AND

"Running isn't actually doing very much for half of your legs. It's great for your hamstrings, but it does very little for your quads.

However, your quads stabilise your knees, so a major reason why runners get sore knees is the imbalance between strong hamstrings and weak quads. So using weights to strengthen your quads will not only tone up your legs, but help prevent knee problems."

UNQUOTE

• So, looks like what I do is good for running. I don't overload and concerntrate on 12-15 reps on the various machines.

Do you use a Gym Jen ? What about you Poppy, I know the 'G' word may not be too popular with you ? Greeny / Phil / Jinx ?

• In the legs FAQ it says

"Do not use a weight belt. These increase your maximum lift by compressing your abdomen and giving extra support. They are also a crutch that will leave you with weak abdominals."

This bit has to be wrong. A belt is essential in my view for some excercises to prevent injury.
  • Afternoon

Nope not done that 1/2 you mentioned did Islwyn though in March.

As I think I have said not a gym person all my time is taken up with running but noted what you said about quads and that is where I was in pain so maybe something i need to do but would not have a clue where to start and same as Jen dont want to bulk up in any shape or form !!!

Also I have to watch my back as it goes into spasms.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

• I have got to watch my back too ;-)

• Morning All,

2+ Hours in the Gym for me last night. 1/2 Cardio (XT & Rower) and weights including a ginger work out on my Legs !

Nice day innit.

• Blowing 560 on my peak flow thingy today. Anyone else use one ?
  • As I have chronic asthma I have one I am suppose to use it every time i take my meds Twice@ a day but have to say lucky if I have time to do it once every 3 weeks. My max is 400 most of the time 350.

12 miles done this morning still hurts on downhill but was a lot faster than yeaterday 3 miles hard 3 miles easy.

Seems nice out there not that I have had a chance to see it yet;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • had some chest problems a few years ago, and the doctor did the stock diagnosis of "its asthma" gave me a pump and meter and a thing to help get all the pump inhaled and had to do a week's diary. average peak flow was 700, occasionally 720, so a wasted £18 on things I didn't need!
  • I blimming wish mine was 700+
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • it would be if you blew twice:)))

• Bimey Phil, or are you the Big Bad Wolf ?

Only blowing 500 this evening. 720 is the end of the scale on my thingy.

Tell you what Poppy, you are the mileage queen. 5 for me so far this week. Chest and Shoulders sore this morning but better now although tight. Was going to run this eve but will prob go to Gym because of the rubbish weather.

Feeling fat. This eating business is just not me you know.

• And seeing as I did not do shoulders last night that is a bit strange.

Anyway, I had meant to ask, where do you get a cheap massage round here ? As in a sports massage that actually does some good. Any recommendations people?
  • I an deeply honoured to be known as mileage queen:-)

I have a very good chap that is seeing me tomorrow as he was worried about me when he spoke to me on monday i can email details if you want?

Very reasonable and has become a personal friend!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

• Yes, cheers.

Exmoor photos are up. You are a star (but not in a reasonably priced car).

• If it's stopped raining I may well go running.
  • Ergggghhhh hangover horrors.

I do not feel well.

• Hmmmmmm

I seem to remember

1. Lack of Sympathy in someone else's prediciment

2. Brash statements about always being fine in the morning.

Maybe a breakfast of ones own posts is called for here ?
  • Jen!!!!!

I am SHOCKED at you I thought you were in training!!!

Did not sleep very well woke up with huge bags under eyes and so tired got up and out but so shattered came back no way I could run easy never mind 6 miles hard....soo upset about it and have another stonking migraine not sure how I am functioning.

So will do 6 hard 6 easy tomorrow to catch up then 18 on Sunday
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression