runners knee - views sought

morning all.

I have self diagnosed runner's knee on my right hand side (from the injuries section and the postings on the matter) and am going to bring it up at my bi-annual MOT with BUPA later this week.

I have something of a dilemma.. I would appreciate your views

First, one of the reasons I am suffering might be that my trainers have passed their best before mileage. so I will definitely be buying some new - but I am due to run the GNR on sunday - and therein lies the second half of the dilemma. I have always thought it daft to run that far in new shoes (oooh!).

So, a) do i run at all - can one "recover" from runners knee? and b)If I do run, do I carry on with the shoes I have or invest in some new ones which may protect my knee in the long run?

The GNR is important to me as it is the one chance a year I get to run an event with my mum. Its also the last event of my year before hibernating and thinking about next years FLM/doing a tri.

Thanks in advance & sorry for rambling...

Comments

• for clarity - the pain is under my knee cap at the top & it creaks as it moves.
  • How bad is it, Bouncer? If you have pain as soon as you start to run, and especially if you have pain when you walk, you shouldn't attempt the GNR on Sunday. You'd be more use to your mum as a spectator.

If it's just a bit creaky and a bit sore on prolonged running, and this race is very important to you, then take a dose of anti-inflammatory with your breakfast on race day (600-800mg of ibuprofen) and be prepared to take some time out to recover afterwards. And if you tell ANYONE that I said that, I shall never speak to you again...

As for the shoes, I agree. See about buying some new ones in the next few day, but wear your old ones for the race. Then throw them away before you get home.

Runner's knee is treatable and does tend to settle down, but often benefits from professional input with biomechanical testing and orthotics. Another thing that helps in many cases is a series of exercises to strengthen the inner thigh muscles - the vastus medialis in particular - as running and cross-training strengthen the outer thigh muscles in preference, leading to the kneecap being pulled sideways out of its natural groove. The nice BUPA physio will show you what to do - the only equipment necessary is a staircase, a carrier bag, and two cans of baked beans. Exercises alone worked for me very quickly when I had a runner's knee last year, although mine was bursitis rather than a pure patellar tracking problem.

If you do decide to run on Sunday, take your tapering very seriously and don't try to run at all between now and then. Cycle or walk or do some swimming (not breast-stroke unless you can avoid the froggy-leg technique - backstroke is best for protecting your knees) if you're in need of an endorphin fix.

I have a sneaky feeling that I shall be seeing you on Sunday...

Cheers, V-rap.
  • I knew I could count on you v-rap. Thanks

my tapering has been very serious.. since the bristol half (22/9) I have been "resting" - just in case. I plan to give it a short test on saturday though.

I can sense the soreness most times, but I think that might be a phantom pain that I imagine as it doesn't actually stop me from doing anything apart from wrapping my knee aruond the column on my swivel chair!

Someone here mentioned perhaps taking out an insole in my existing shoe and putting extra cushioning ones in. I'm guessing thats pretty much the same as new trainers though.

Your yoda-like senses are probably right (assuming my number turns up in time!) - but I will revert to swimming after GNR and weights/stretching, a good excuse to use that much neglected gym membership.

Thanks again
    bouncer (or should that be hobbler?)