broken fibula, dislocated ankle and ruptured ligaments!

Hi, five weeks ago I broke my fibula, dislocated my ankle and ruptured the ligaments around the ankle. I now have a metal plate and 6 screws to fix the broken fibula and also a metal pin (temporary) in my lower leg/ankle. I will have an operation to remove the pin after my plaster comes off and then will receive physiotherapy.

Has anybody reading this forum suffered a similar injury?

If so, how long was it before you got back to exercise/running? Did you make a full recovery?

Also, can you give me any advice on what I can do to help my leg/ankle get back to normal? I have been hearing all sorts of horror stories about this type of injury and am concerned that I will not be able to do all the things I did before.

Thanks in advance

Diane

Comments

• Sorry to hear of your injury Diane, I'm no medic so cant offer any advice on recovery times etc but I can wish you a speedy recovery.
    hope everything heals ok
    NS
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Hi Diane, sorry to hear about your injury. I broke my fib in April 2003, plated and ten screws but I didn't rupture any ligament or suffer soft tissue damage. Think it will really come down to the surgeon and the phsyio, couldn't thank my own physio enough.

Can't advise about the ligaments but from the point of view of the break I was back running after 16 weeks following surgeons advice etc. I had the plate and screws removed in June 2004 as they were too near the surface and uncomfortable and again had to rehabilitate but did do FLM this April so all ok now.

Good luck with your healing, let us know how you get on.
  • Ouch, take it easy Diane
    hope you make a full recovery
    let us know how you get on.
  • Thanks for all of your kind messages.

Cinders, thank you for telling me about your injury and recovery. I didn't realise sport could be so dangerous until I had my accident. I broke my leg during an ice skating lesson!

I cannot wait to get started on my physiotherapy. Hopefully only 2 more weeks in plaster then I'll get my pin removed. I'm a bit fed up of sitting around not being able to do very much to aid my recovery.

Thanks
    Diane

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Ouch Diane, sounds a painful skating session! Mine was from treading on a football, another woman in the fracture ward I was on trod on her dog!

Is this your first time break, was mine and the period in plaster seemed never ending.

Have a look too at www.mybrokenleg.com, they've got a section on exercises which are really good for regaining mobility as your ankle will be very stiff after non use.

• I have to say it wasn't my best skating lesson and it happened 2 minutes before the end of it! I caught my right blade on the back of my left boot while going through a sequence, lost my balance and landed on my ankle/leg while it was twisted. At first i thought i had just damaged my ankle and didn't realise i'd broken my leg! I still cannot believe the damage i've done. The woman in the bed opposite me broke hers after falling off a step while cutting the hedge!

Yes, it was a first (and hopefully last) time break. I feel like i've been in plaster for months, although it is only approx 4 weeks. Am going a bit stir crazy just now but am trying to keep myself busy.

Thanks for the info on the web site. I'll have a look.

Diane

• I sustained the same injury on my 89 skydive landing, it was 10 years ago, have metal in situ at the minute, I do run around 4 miles but am concerned that running may cause secondary injury. Going to speak with my GP with regards to metal and training. I would like it removed but also don’t want my ankle to be unstable. 
  • jack, I wouldn't worry about the metal causing secondary injury - I'm running ultras with a plate on my fibula.