Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

Comments

• Afternoon

just back from my 2 blimming missed miles my asthma was playing up and so hot and humid out there and this was in the woods hardly seemed worth while putting on kit for 2 miles but I have a schedule to stick too.

Did race go well Jen?

What sort of mileage are you looking at for the next few weeks?

I am just unsure about tomorrow I guess play it by ear and see how I am feeling...pretty pants at the moment!!

The plan was a summer of short races which I have done I have a 8K in Cardiff a week Sunday then Cardiff and Swansea 10K's but know with one eye on the marathon in Amsterdam(no decision made yet) I too want to crank the miles up I guess the priorities has changed.

A saying that I hold dear well two actually

Protect what you have....in other words do nothing to damage the fitness and level I am at

And pain is temporary quitting is forever

I meet an old friend today who had not seen me in 2 years and his words were wow you look so fit and healthy.....It did bring a smile to my face;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Hiya,well done on doing the extra 2 miles.

This week looks like this :-

Tonight : 15 x hills reps
    Tomorrow : 10 steady
    Wednesday: Club
    Thursday : 13
    Friday : 6 recovery
    Sat : Triathlon in Cymmer (600m,25K,6K)
    Sunday : 21

Race went ok,very heavy legged which goes with the territory when you're marathon training I guess.75 minutes it took me which is about right.Did the 1st mile in 6 minutes 32secs,it was very hard to pace because it was undulating.

• So you are looking at over 70 miles for the week???

Well done on the race

that is a step up in mileage hope it goes well and you are not too exhausted especially with the heat.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • I hope it goes well too,it's going to be mental,considering the fact that i've fallen asleep twice in work this afternoon and when I got back from the race yesterday at around 2ish I slept for almost the rest of the day.

I'm just knackered.But i'll battle on.

What are you doing Sunday?I'm venturing up Afan Argoed if you fancy it.

• One hell of a schedule Jen and no mistake. Sure you are not Superwoman ?

My first and best mile on Sun was 7:06 and that was a struggle, even downhill.

Where does Tri info live on the web ? Tell us a bit more about the Cymmer one please.

Jen has a good point about 5k's messing up more serious training / disrupting miles etc. Quiet right really.

Poppy, there is always a banner by the city tavern on the FLM similar to your saying, "And pain is temporary failure is forever". Noticed it my first year.

Yarmouth Half for me this weekend. Unlike the 2 of you, Pops & Jen, I do not really have a plan and whilst I want to get faster I am mainly out to feel good and enjoy myself. Maybe I really should have a plan or a target ? Hmmmmm ?
  • I noticed the banner my first year in FLM just after I had fallen and was gutted my time was not to be it really made me focus and I know that failure is not an option for me..........I really hate to fail in whatever task in my running I am doing!!!!

i also dont cope to well when this happens......do I George!!

Well I am going to decide in the morning I have had another nap whilst watching the athletics!!!! so realistic my body is not ready to race so looks like I will do 10-12 tomorrow morning instead unless of course I wake up so energised and ready to kick some butt!!

I have to have targets, goals etc I like structure in my training and someone to tell me what to do(only part of my life I allow this)
    I could not be like you Alex I wish I could but my way puts a lot of pressure on myself!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • I am really really disapointed as I had targeted the series as my onslaught on my PB:-(
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

• Pressure, you don't want to go there poppy. Remember what I told you about my earlier years. I've been there, and I am not too sure if I want to re-visit it. There is another level that mentally I don't know if I can ever handle again. Last Sun the race started and ended on a running track, albeit we were going round the wrong way. First time I had been on one since I packed it all in. I found it odd and coming in on the track as I finished I looked down at it and it was scary.

Find that other place if you can. Relax. The way is Oasis (can you hear the dolphins ?).

Slow 1/2 for me tonight. Gowerton to verdi's and back. Have loaded it up on motionbased.

• If anyone else fancies a nose at my runs with my garmin, motionbased.com, user welshalex and pwd gowerton. You can use the same details to access my bank accounts in barclays.co.uk and lloydstsb.com, but my barclaycard account needs an extra pin which I am not going to tell you birthday.

• Did you know there is 1306 feet worth of climbing in that route. Well strike me down. I thought it was flat-ish.
  • Morning

I had thought afterwards that the reason you just run for fun is because of what went on before.

As I am here and not out running as I would normally be doing is because I am still exhausted and I guess I need a rest day(not on schedule and will be in big trouble when coach hears about it he will think I am lazy and not pulling my weight)Hopefully this will help me get back on track.

I have been warned that I could be on the verge of overtraining and need to disregard schedule for a few days to get back some energy so playing it by ear.

I knew that route had a climb in it but not to that degree!!
    well done on run ...how did it feel for you?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Why do I feel such a failure and that I have let coach down!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Poppy, Poppy, Poppy!!

Stop beating yourself up! The rest breaks are as an important issue as the running programme! They should be properly built into any running schedule so perhaps that hasn't been done correctly i.e. not your fault! Once rested, I'm sure you will feel much better and go on to improve yet further.

You not running tonight then? Do I count that as a win ;-) !!

Greeny
    (The rest master!)

• "Why do I feel such a failure and that I have let coach down!!"

Because you want to drive yourself too hard. I'm with Greeny on this. From what I know I would suspect that you are on the verge of overtraining. I guess you are on a knife edge between untold success and exhaustion. Don't let schedules get the better of you and listen to your body.

Last night was a slow, and I mean slow, 13.66 miles. It was the only option I had as I could not have done a fast or a medium pace even. It is still the effect of that race the other week and things will be at least another week getting back together.

What I did do, which you didn't poppy, was have more days off initially. Having said that I also have the advantage of having hammered myself on these sort of things for the last 8 months.

I am really convinced that even if you don't think it now, that effort will become of great benefit to you.

• Poppy, what was your target for a 5k pb ?
  • Just wanted to wish you guys luck for tonight...race well

Thanks guys

I had hoped to get as near to 23.30 but this is the last 5k so will have to wait till next year.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • 22.30 !!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Cheers, Poppy - sorry you won't be there.

When will our next race be?!

Rest easy now!
  • Thanks Greeny pretty upset about it all

Off to soak in the bath ,I have had a nap and hoping another nights sleep will recharge my batteries

Athletics was rained off looked like Swansea weather and we have Helsinki's

next race for us.........no idea!!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

• Evening People,

Poppy, if you had given it a plod tonight you may have been surprised. I was. Off the back of 24 miles in 2 days, feeling knackered and only planning to have a comfortable run round I managed 21:33 with unbelievable ease (apart from stiff legs that is).

I think my thighs are just starting to work again and could feel a little bit of power there. To say I did not expect to be able to run like this so easily is an understatement. Overtaking all the way and without a doubt I could have run much faster. Splits 4:14, 4:26, 4:26, 4:27, 4:00 so nicely paced and reasonable energy left at the end.

Did you run tonight Greeny ?

• My point being poppy that I reckon it will be the same for you, but you may be a few days behind me.
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Welsh Poppy ....... Did you bottle out because you were afraid that I would give you a kicking ....Again ???????

Rode over, but with a head wind, got there just in time to hear Grant Howells ( race sponsor ) shouting "Ten minutes to start" !!! signed-on, locked up bikes, put on trainers and got to back of race just in time to see everyone in front bouncing away !!!!
    Finished in ........
    For the first time in a couple of years Greeny beat me too !!!! Well done Greeny !!!!

Overtraining ??? Welsh Alex, would you please explain to ME what is overtraining ?????
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    George - hey, it was nothing, really, but thanks!

Alex - tried to see you but couldn't. Found Phil though (how did you do, Phil?). After what you told me I decided to give you a wide berth during the race!

Hmmm, order has been restored to The Force I feel...

Next up for me will be Swansea 10k.
  • Struggled with that one, was promised to be paced round to do 21-45, but 1st 2k were too fast [8-20], and faded badly. Got in in 22-25, 20 secs down on last time and 35 secs down on 1st one. Ho hum!

Good to see you Greeny, everyone else conspicious by their abscence.

Right, race the train for me next, then the autumn 10ks for an assault on 45 mins.

• Morning people,

Greeny, i did look around to see who I could see but missed you too.

Jen, thanks for the shout on that final leg. I heard you but missed seeing you and did not get a chance to catch up after the race. Hope the training is going well. How were Mondays hills ?

Poppy, are you still sleeping ?
  • Hiya,well done for last night everyone that raced. Tough conditions with the heat and the head wind coming back so good efforts all round.

My training has had to stop for the moment,i've been feeling carp. Don't know whether i've had a bug or something but from Sunday i've been sleeping loads and generally feeling pretty rubbish. Feel much better today and am actually looking forward to training tonight.

I haven't been overtraining,I had a pretty easy week and tapered down for the race on Sunday so should be feeling really fresh but i've been feeling the exact opposite.

On the mend now though I think.

WP,how're you feeling?Any better today?You've been doing so much hardly suprising you're exhausted!Couple of days now and you'll be right.

• I think I may be feeling mackrel this morning.
  • George

You are so polite to me?? you should know me better than that!!!!
    I have a lot of bottle!! but when I could just cope with work without falling asleep they was no way on earth I could have run!!
    Well done on race

Greeny
    Brilliant I am so proud of my protege:-)

Alex

Well done glad it all came right for you and sounds like you are raring to go again:-)

I just was not in the mood to post!! so not still sleeping;-)

Jen
    Hope things are okay for you and you are feeling better!!

But after sleeping from 7pm last night I feel a lot better even did 7 miles steady this morning it was golly hard I could feel HR was up bigtime and I struggles but by the last mile I was feeling better(my fastest mile)

So hoping you are right and a few more days and my energy levels will be back to normaL.

I am on diet and made sure I eat lots yestreday!! just incase this was a factor

Back to diet today!!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

• Got the 5k results and I beat one person I have been after for a while. Mind you he did do both the london Tri's on the weekend so I was at a small advantage !

Poppy, "raring to go again", more light at end of tunnel ! Will have to see how the Yarmouth 1/2 goes this sun.

If your hr is up are you sure you have not got something. Normally exhaustion means your heartrate flatlines from what I have read. (Correct me if I am wrong)

Day off for me today, 2 pizza's too.