Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

Comments

• Alex
    you could be right I am feeling like i have a viral infection very sore throat ,dripping nose, mucus etc(sorry)

Thought i had got some energy but could not get up this morning really tired but kicked myself and 12 miles done 1 miles easy ,4 hard, 1 easy , 4hard,2 easy but the hard not as hard as they should have been:-(((

Right I better shift myself or I will be late for work!!

See you later
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Poppy - I wouldn't run if I had all that stuff!

Take it easy for a few days, it won't harm.

RIG RIG RIG RIG RIG RIG RIG RIG RIG RIG RIG!
  • Poppy,do you know much about one of the new girls that's joined the Harriers?

Caroline her name is,think her surname is Jones.

• Evening people,

Day off for me yesterday and prob. today as well. Off to Yarmouth tomorrow.

Poppy, if your nose is running then you aren't running properly.
  • Alex

My nose runs due to allergies(always got tissues stuffed in my waistband of shorts)really must rember to take allergie pills BEFORE I run

Have a safe journey, have a great time and have a fantastic race:-) and say hello to LMH and Mark for me:-)

Greeny

Take it easy I am trying but will ease back on effort.

How are you? have you been training today?

JA
    Nope
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

• Thanks Poppy

LMH and Mark have decided not to do it because of the 4.5 hour drive from their house. "running then you aren't running properly." That was a very poor pun.
  • Morning

That is a shame as I know LMH was looking forward to it.

10 miles easy all done and dusted

I am drinking plenty of OJ I shall turn orange at this rate;-)

have a great day

Alex-are you taking garmin? would be good to see all that data from the 1/2;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

• I migth take the garmin, although it has be said I am sure I run slower with that chest strap on.

Ok, as long as it is not boiling that's a yes.

Wed off, 10m on my bike yesterday. 400m in the car today.
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    WP - Yes, I did a "recovery" run yesterday which felt ok.

Need to start jacking up for Cardiff now.

Glad you seem to be feeling a bit better now. Keep up the OJ (it gives me guts ache so I can't drink it).

Have a good trip, Alex.

Anyone heard from Zoom lately? I thought she was doing the last 5k but I didn't see her.
  • Morning

Alex.can you wear garmin without HR if you want??? I wear HR with my gps but.....(girlie alert) I tuck it under my Bra and it is fine then every now and again it will burn into me(yes there!!) and too sore to wear it for a week or so...I came back from run last sunday and found out my bra was soaked in blood it did worry me!!!

Greeny are you doing cardiff 1/2? or cardiff 10k? or both

fancy you cant drink OJ Have you tried fresh pure juice? tropicanna is very good as well??

No not from Zoom in a long time!!

May think of getting a polar s610i what do we think??
    I dothink polar are best for HRM and they have the new strap

http://www.watches-and-monitors.co.uk/polar-wearlink-textile-belt-p-85.html

off for a fast 6 miles okay maybe not that fast but that means I have caught my schedule up:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • morning - congrats on good racing for those who did this

talking of zoomy, I thought she was doing this one? I've not spotted her around for a while either <hm worry>

Poppy - have you looked at the Navman? One of the girls running with us has one - nice. The HRM is in the watch - so just the watch and arm unit to wear - no chest strap. What impressed me was it's ability to keep a signal in Clyne!! I ran down that path on Wednesday with my Garmin - the trees are so thick, that the map looked as if I had transported Star Trek wise from the Railway Inn to Blackpill!!! It'll be better in winter when the leaves have gone!
  • Morning CDK

Not keen on the look of Navman........was looking at the polar footpod one as not linked to GPS.

but more interested in the heart rate function.

did you do any of the 5k's??

back decided to can 6 miles still feeling exhasuted and rather save myself for tomorrows LSR and give me a chance to get back up to speed.

really looking forward to the mens marathon today and of course Queen Paula tomorrow
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • I'm not sure about the footpad thing - your pace would have to be pretty even to be accurate. I have had those cheap type things and found that they are not at all accurate unless your stride is exactly the same all the time.

Having said that - Tinribs has one, and he says it is fine and very accurate.

I did not do any of these races in the end. I can't say that I enjoy these, 5k just does not suit me really, I'm too slow! I don't find the atmosphere the best either - and it's been pretty hot.

I'm not doing Swansea Bay either - I messed up a little on the dates, so I am doing Windsor ½m instead.

• I may just stick to Timex and get a Polar HRM instead as I like the new belt.

I have just entered swansea 10k and cardiff 10K with Swansea as the target for a good time.
    then cardiff half as a training run and Amsterdam as the grade A race.

good luck at Windsor!!! tis Hilly;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

• Hello People,

In Yarmouth (Burgh Castle actually) and it is sunny and nice. Going shopping in a minute, not that I *like* shopping you understand !

Very interested in any HRM that does not have a chest strap and my Garmin (301) is carp under trees. I also note that late at nigth in the winter garmins seem to have more issues with the sat's. Also slightly bulky. The thickness more of an issue than anything else.

Gym with my overweight brother later. See if I can pursuade him to get back on the fitness wagon.
  • Hope SHOPPING went well;-)

Oh well we got bronze medal:-( First medal of the champs!!

Did you see Dan Robinson superb tatics now if only I could do the same in the marathon!!
    Actually watching the marathon scared me rigid...all I could think is it would go horribly wrong again for me:-((((

Oh well Paula tomorrow a medal would be good but not too hopeful!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

• Hello there people of Swansea, Greetings form the outer reaches of Yarmouth, We bring peace (and a race report) ....

finised Yreat Yarmouth Half and it is 1:43:50 although I swear I saw the finish clock say 1:45:12. Suerly it didn't take me 1:22 to cross the start line ?

Wore my watch and had my garmin in pocket so I will load the race up when I get home, although I forgot to turn the garmin off until I got the the car. it should be obvious where the race finished.

Lots of long mildly rising drags. Quite a depressing race. It was like that picture of 4 sets of starirs that are connected and just go up and up. Not that any of the up was remotley challenging, just lots of long slightly rising drags. Didn't notice much downhill yet we finished in the same place as we started. How did they do that ?

Just got in b4 a cludburst but soaked walking to the car.

• My tiping is nut wut ut shud eb tiday.
  • Alex sorry can understand last post!!! practise you typing skills!!

Well done on your time:-) are you pleased?
    Is it a PB?

Thank goodness it was a dry race!!

I am on antibiotics went out to do LSR still tired and exhausted managed 4 miles it was so hard and RHR was up 10 beats so new I was in trouble but had to try!!!

but will try again tomorrow!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression

• Well the antibiotics explain your recent tiredness etc.

Poppy, no, I am not pleased. Felt like carp from the outset and ran much slower than I know I can. It is a recent PB I guess but that is beside the point.

On the bright side I picked up (so to speak) another woman who wanted a sub 2, whilst I blew her off (makes a change eh?) from the 13 mile mark I did help her through to a 10 mile PB and a half PB. We were through 10 miles in 1:20. I must be a sitting target for people to hang on to !! Don't mind really, quite rewarding. To be honest as well I had a stitch at mile 12 after sumping too much water and would have slowed at that point if I had not been with her so it helped me run through that tricky point.

Well done Paula eh ? Watched it. Great stuff on a boring course.
  • Yes I have a viral infection and GP is unsure how long I have had it!! Just need to get rid of it and quick!!!

So will try each day to run I WILL get back stronger than before I will not let this spoil my running AGAIN!!

Sorry you had a tricky patch and not really what you wanted but it seems the woman you ran with helped you and you helped her bigtime:-) and as you say very rewarding to help someone!!

yes not the sort of course I like at all she showed great mental strength!!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Hiya folks,well done Alex on your race yesterday

Poppy,sorry to hear you aren't well.

I haven't been well either,i've had a stomach bug and lost half a stone last week.

I felt better towards the end of the week and was entered for a triathlon up in Afan Argoed on Saturday and decided just to do it and enjoy it,seens as I entered ages ago.It was really fun.

I did circuit training last night too for the first time in a long time and felt great.I think the week off has probably done me good as last week I did no training at all.

Back to normal now so got 6 x 800m efforts tonight in the boiling hot weather.Great.

Poppy,take it easy because you might be prolonging your illness by training and not allowing yourself a chance to recover.

• "I haven't been well either,i've had a stomach bug and lost half a stone last week." - Can I borrow it ?

No seriously, sorry about that Jen, not nice I am sure.

Just back from Yarmouth, a marathon 6 hrs, better than the 7.5 it took me to get there though.

Knackered. Day off I think.
  • You can borrow it but I will need it back!

It's actually been quite fun the last few days eating far more than I usually do to try and put the weight straight back on.It's coming back slowly.

Did the 800's tonight,felt fantastic,really strong and was sticking to around 3 minutes for each rep.When I finished I felt that I could've done more which I think is pretty important.

Think you deserve a break today Alex.

How're you feeling Poppy?

• Jen, I am bolloxed. Not so much the running, but the driving, my brothers spare bed from hell and his kid up at 5am every morning.

Poppy, thank goodness there is an explanation for your tiredness.

• Have loaded the GY half on to motionbased. My garmin lost one wooded stretch which is a shame.
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Poppy - hope you are on the mend. I *think* I am doing Cardiff (half) but not entirely sure yet. Will need to decide soon though!
  • Sorry not been in a good mood so have not posted.

Sorry you have been ill Jen hope you are feeling lots better:-)

Alex
    Glad you got back safe ......hope it goes well this week for you.

Greeny
    Get moving:-)

Still feeling pants and another failed attempt at running got out but too exhausted so came back and napped before work!! so I am going to try after work!! 10 miles but it is going to be so warm
    and I wilt in the heat!

When ever I get a viral infection it last in my body for weeks and weeks so I am NOT letting it do that to me again!!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Poppy, go down the beach and dip your toes in the water, bugger the run! Then have an ice cream and some chips [in that order!]
    Then stand on a rock, wave your hands in the air and shout "i am an orange"
    Then you'll run very fast home and feel better!!
  • Another failed attempt!!

Phil:-)

You have made me laugh thank you:-)

I will remember to do that soon;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression