Lucozade Sport - I think I'll pass

I have been trying to get myself used to Lucozade for the past 6 weeks taking it with me, made up from powder, in two 500 ml bottles. I think I am about to give up on it though because a] I think it tastes awful and more importantly b] it wreaks havoc with my body - giving me stomach ache and even post-run headaches.

Do other runners have problems with Lucozade Sport, and if so, have they found good alternatives that they'll be using during the FLM? Or do some runners (even those expecting to be on their feet for 4 hours +) just manage on water?

Comments

• Onemoremile
    I used lucozade sport last year, and have been using it this year too. I had a problem a few week ago, when I made the mistake of washing my energy gels down with it. That gave me bad stomach cramps for hours after.
    However, Now I mainly just drink lucozade sport. got through 2 pouches of it and a bit of water on my 20 miler today with no probs. Ate energy bar half way round. I have heard of many people though who do suffer probs with it. I suppose its a matter of finding what suits you, after all this time luc sport obviously doesnt. I'm no expert , but you'll need some source of extra energy on the day. have you tried gels? High5 are good, and I like the taste, also their energy bars are nice.
    Good luck and I hope you find something to suit. and all the best for 13/04
  • I dilute mine half and half wih water
  • OMM, i can't stand the taste of lucozade sport. I use SIS gels, not bad taste/consistency. You don't have to worry about how much water to have with them either.
  • It makes me hurl. The only time I kept it down was when I drank some on a training run and was close to home so when I realised it was sitting like a boulder in my tum I was able to go home and pour a couple of litres on top of it.

I have yet to find an isotonic drink that I can cope with, whether running or not.

I plan to carb up well in advance, drink water, and eat a few Opal Fruits and Werthers Caramels. Not ideal and I'll probably smack into the wall, but I'll take my chance.
  • Dont think its a good idea to dilute it. This will probably take away any benefits it has, it does say on the powder that iy wont be isotonic if you dont mix it as per instructions

I have recently tried the original Squeexy Gels from Leppin and they work very well for me - so I will be takinh them round London with me and also Cranleigh 21 this weekend for a final 'trial run'
  • gary, it willbe fluid
    I barely drink a litre a day
  • Anyone tried the Lucozade tablets, small enough to carry a few whilst running, I just started using these a few races ago and they work for me.

NN
  • I had one at Reading

wasnt sick
    how do you take them, and how often????
  • Personally about every 4.5 miles suits me and also cover the half and marthon distances quite well. I just pop them in my mouth and crunch away, dont rinse them down at all.

NN
  • i have a friend who carries aroung 26 jelly babies on the marathon one a mile , swears by it . i find lucozade really good but thin i have a sweet tooth

• I think diluting an isotonic drink should be fine since we are supposed to drink water as well anyway so it gets diluted anyway.
  • I have been using LSport diluted, half and half water, but yes it really gave me tummy cramps when I drank it neat. I also have found that SIS gels are excellent, and don't taste too rank. Everything I have read over these last few months really point to the same thing, which is you must experiment beforet the big day, and find out what works for you. You can order them in from their website www.scienceinsport.co.uk I think.
  • I get through quantities of Dextrasol/Dextrose tablets - available from any chemist for about 45p a pack. I can't get on with gels - I hate the consistency and the taste and they cost an arm and a leg. I've also sometimes had problems with Lucozade Sport - when I took too much at Silverstone - but I swear these dextrose tablets are great. You don't need water, they give an immediate hit and are easy to crunch and swallow. Highly recommended.
    MB
  • Thanks guys for all your feedback/suggestions on this. It's much appreciated :-)

Mighty Bunzoola - thanks for your idea. I think I may give that a try. How regularly do you take them? One every water station? Alternate ones? Or only in the latter stages. I have a feeling these dextrose tabs might suit me....but I'm running out of time to experiment!

Like the jelly babies idea, too.
  • hate lucozade....hate water stations even more...really throw my rhythm off....am taking a 1.8 litre platypus pack and some food...haven't decided yet....used to do chocolate/jam sandwich.....bit of a long run ritual, but recently got into gels...was really surprised how ok they are...don't get on with sweet stuff usually.....might try the dextrose....vanilla gels taste like baileys ;)
  • OMM, I like jelly babies as well but find on runs over 17/18 miles I need the SIS gels as well. I usually have 4 jelly babies every 30/40 min, which at 10min/mile pace works out the same as Tubs' friend!!
  • I had a bit of a stomach upset in the last 4 miles of my 20-milers yesterday - it was a close run thing to get home. Not sure if it was the
    Lucozade Sport or the Weetabix I ate before. Does anyone have any suggestions what I could eat as a pre long run meal to avoid having
    this happen again
  • It's pretty individual I think Susan. If the weetabix have been OK for ages and this was the first time with Lucozade sport then I'd be inclined to blame the LS.

Personally I have porridge and honey, others have scrambled egg on toast, and various other combinations involving bananas etc.
  • Has anyone tried Hypostop? An energy gel given to diabetics to bring up sugar levels.

I have been given a couple to try and they seem to work for me.

• Susan Wyllie.

I had a nightmare at Silverstone and thought it was due to Lucozade Sport first time drank it) with stomach upset and cramps. I was wrong

I also find at Reading the same but I was not drinking Lucozade Sport however I did eat breakfast with milk which did not help the digestion (if you know what I mean).

Today I ran 17 miles and had porridge with water and this was great. No issues. I drank Lucozade Sport also.

Findings: Milk before a run gives me a dodgy tummy whilst running (not Lucozade). May be the same for you.

I have read that Milk can be cause for tummy upsets when rnning

• I did 18 miles today with the pockets of my gilet stuffed with jelly babies, and - hey presto - no stomach ache! I hope that mean's the problem's solved.

Thanks to all who have offered tips/advice.

I did once use Leppin Sqeezy's with no trouble, but didn't like the taste much. Could just pack a few for those last 6 miles when maybe Dr Who's favourite confection may not be enough...
  • so the up shot is ... jelly babies are best !!! the problem is not eating them all before the first mile is up .... doh !!
  • Baileys
    Now theres an idea
  • Did our club long run today,20 miles.Tried Lucozade and it's not for me,tasted awful. Give me the old Liquid Power any time. Onemoremile,I'd never heard of this Leppin stuff until today.Apparently it's fabulous stuff, I'm going to give that a try.
  • My 'Leppin-Squeezy-story' is a classic what-not-to-do in terms of marathon prep (tho i got away with it...)

At the Expo, after I'd picked up my race number (this was '99), I was so flush with enthusiasm that I started scanning the merchandise stalls for bargains. Needless to say I found an industrial size box of Leppin sachets in 876 amazing flavours for about 84p. I bought them and used them for the first time (yes, FOR THE FIRST TIME) during the marathon.

A bad, bad thing to have done. I know.

But - apart from some flavours tasting like battery acid - they did the trick pretty well.

Like the taste of jeely babies better...mmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Lucozade gives me cramps too and I use jelly babies - I am a novice however! I may try to dilute the lucozade as suggested at the marathon though if I need more of a hit and take my chance.To have to carry my own supplies of drink would fill me with dread!
    Does anyone know if the drinks have lids on so you can run with them?
  • The drinks (I think) are in the foil pouches, and I think they take the lids off, but it's quite easy to run with a finger over the hole.
  • just check out the ingredients, if it's got ASDPARTAME in it i too get headaches (and a host of other nasties). i'm not saying that this ingredient is a problem but i will not buy, eat, drink or use any food product with it in.... i'll get off my horse now and start some running again!
  • sorry i meant ASPARTAME. big finger syndrome
  • softfruits are pretty good... though be careful about inhaling the crunchy outsides! not that i would be dumb enough to know this happens of course.

out of interest, why do people find one jelly baby a mile suits best? at a rough guess i'd imagine most runners burn somewhere in the region of 100 calories a mile, but i'd reckon a jelly baby has maybe a tenth of that - how's that work then?!