Radio Worcestershire

Comments

• kk, don't worry we can keep it very low key:-)
  • My weight has varied by 1.5 stone over the past few years and my waist size has always been 38. I think a stomach (above hips) would be a better fatness measurement.
  • Think that's what they had in mind Matt; unfortunately they didn't lay on any fat blokes or skinny lycra-clad stunnas to demonstrate...
  • The Vicar's wife has just shot through the village with her top down..............

I laways did like that open topped Minor 1000!
  • Hiya kk, today I saw the Radio Hereford and Worcester car heading from Flyford to Piddle...I think they realise they have competition :o)
  • Morning all from a 'Wet Worcestershire Workhouse'

Quite heavy rain during the night here, hopefully most of the farms have already cut their fields, all the villagers have been out with scythes and there are 'stooks' in most of the fields. some farmers have even got those new fangled balers.

We'll start this morning some music from a composer who lived a t Broadheath near the big city (Worcester):- Edward Elgar's 'Pomp and Circumstance.

Footnote:- <<<sigh>>>> Once upon a time ALL Worcestershire lads were 'hard'. They'e think nothing of drinking Special Brew all night then getting up early to do 12-15 miles at 8min/mile pace, or drinking farmhouse cider by the barrel all night and then waking with a spring in their step and cyling 14.47 miles in under an hour averaging 15.5 mph back to where they'ed left their car (when where they'ed left thecar had been remebered!) Sadly it seems that ONLY the latter still happens!!!!
  • <bleurgh.....>

I've never been 'ard...

Please can we play something quiet today?

Mind you, there are those of us who were still necking strong ales at 1.30am when the softies had gone home ;o)

...and I REALLY regretted it the next day

I leave you with 'The sound of Silence' by Simon and Motorhead...
  • Good morning Roadio Worcestershire. I'm picking you up here in Shropshire but it's a very faint intermittent signal thankfully.

Any chance of a reading from the collected works of Fred Archer?
  • Good morning. Your coming through loud and clear here in rainy Wiltshire.

Was wondering whether you might do a feature on units of measure there in the Malverns. Down here we use (in ascending order)

A few
    Best part of a main few
    A main few
    A dose
    A good dose.

Are these universal or unique to Wiltshire? Seems a good subject for a phone in.

• Morning, here in Somerset we have

A good few
  • So in honour of my old Raleigh Shopper, here is a reading of the collected works of Sturmey Archer by Valerie Singleton and Axl Rose...

<whaddya mean, still pished? Shtep outshide and shay that! :o) >
  • Fred Archer
    as a young man.

How does a man born to the land, on a farm in 1915 in the Vale of Evesham, become a celebrated chronicler of life in rural England?

A Tale Well Told
    For Fred Archer it was partly chance. Partly the love of a true tale well-told. And partly the sheer stubbornness of a farmer who spent a lifetime facing the harsh winds of country life - and the changes they brought as the shire horse gave way to the Fordson tractor, then the combine harvester.

Picture a nervous farmer, already half a century on the land, asked by his local Guild to "give a talk" as a replacement speaker. Embarrassed, but undeterred, Fred wrote a humorous story and read it out - word for word. The laughter and applause of his friends and neighbours were like water to a seed.

The television cameras loved him too, especially when he demonstrated his one man revival of rural traditions like "singing the pig" and "shin-kicking" as a participant sport.

Because Fred wrote about the places and people he loved most - his books always bore them the respect he knew they deserved.

I think we should resurect the sport of 'Shin Kicking"!!!!!!!!!

• Welcome to Radio Worcestershire, Golly, what a good subject for a phone-in... if I may, I'll broaden it out to directions also. We have 'up the Bonk' (this way) and 'down the Bonk' (that way)

Good to hear our ex-pat listeners are receiving us loud and clear on the interwebnetthingy! Morning BB!
  • Crashie had a 'bog' full!!
  • <<stands by with ice and arnica>>
  • Morning Crashie

another local phrase is

Where's it to?
  • Tis true, I had the arse of the rat, if you see what I mean...

You *could* stand by with nurofen and Alka Seltzer if you like, BB...

kk, we still have your demi-john of Tardebigge scrumpy (empty) and there's a deposit on it...
  • Crashie it must have been one heck of a party if you are still feeling ruff this morning, wasn't it a saturday night party?
  • It was...

The problem actually wasn't the booze, it's that my neck locked up because I went to sleep without relaxing it properly (it can be set off by any one of late night, too much beer or wet weather); it had the first two on Sat night/Sunday morning and it's now not happy because the weather is foul here at the moment...

Once the neck starts to hurt, the pain makes me feel sick and I end up being pretty miserable. Sometimes it makes me throw up, which strains the muscles more, which makes the pain worse etc; that's a 'retire to bed for the day' scenario (yesterday) but it usually clears once I wake up...

So, listeners, tell us about your funny aches and pains!
  • (((Crashie))), but gently so that no pain or distress is caused:-)

My calves are as tight as hell and I have a slight twinge in my right achilles
  • What have you been doing to them, BB?

(we have calves in the bottom field at the moment, BTW...)
  • lol

They are permanently tight Crashie

I've been going to the gym and even doing a bit of woggling on the treddy
  • good work, my friend!

Right, glueing smile to face, off to torture the innocent, I'll leave you with a tribute to one of my locals, it's Bonnie Tyler and 'Total Eclipse of the Red Hart'
  • Thanks for the welcome Crash. Will be a regular listener from now on.

Hope the neck is getting better, sounds like it's very sensitive to beer and wet weather! Not heard of that myself, must be a real burden for you when both happen at the same time.

On the direction theme, we have the universal phrase of 'over yonder' when pointing out where something is.

On a rainy day such as this we also have the ever optimistic 'Don't worry, it's brighter over our Bill's mother's'

These phrases must never die and it's up to us to keep them going!!

• I on the other hand have no problems whatsover.

BB I have the cure!!

You need, and old teatowel, and a length of rope or an old doge lead..

Fold the tea towel so that it is about 4ins across x 18-24 long. Then fold it in half and tie the rope round the end so you make a 'stirrup'.

OK you're ready to stretch, take shoes off and sit on floor. Place 'stirrup' round the end of your foot, toes etc. Hold other end of rope and lie back. Now really 'think' relax and pull on the rope so that you are pulling on your foot and effectively bending yor foot back towards your shin. Now to increase the effect raise the same leg, when pulling back you should feel the stretch running down your calf and hamstring. Now this stretch will gently stretch the plantar fascia on the base of the foot, the calf muscles and the associated achilles, and also the hamstring. It's passive in that because you are not standing up the rest of the leg muscles are not fighting against the stretching action. IT WORKS trust me, it sorted out my plantar fasciitis.

'Dog' I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Anybody got any mastitis worries in your herds that need resolving?
  • Ok kk I'll try it, do you think they'll mind me doing that at the gym:-)

• I don't know BB, why SHOULD they mind.

Besides it's an easy exercise to do anywhere!
  • They might think its a bit odd some woman turning up with old dogs and damp tea towels