Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Comments

• The nose-clip is adjustable (its a simple metal thing with two plastic blobs on the ends, by Speedo). It's no more uncomfortable than wearing goggles.
    The plan is that when I have achieved the art of haddock-like swimming, I won't need it any more :o)
  • personal thing I guess - suits some perople but not others

Pix - you sure they don't have others?
  • I'd advise against tumble turns in a tri - at EG Tri this year there were guys doing TTs and had miscounted their lengths so did too many cause they were turning so far out from the wall the person counting couldn't get their attention to tell them to stop - eventually they threw a float at them!

• Has everyone learn't to swim recently threads been dead for a while???

Anyways did an hour in the pool on friday (first swim in about 3 months) and after the initial 15 mins when I struggled it all went ok except for a pain in elbow as I am pushing my arm past the mid point in the stroke. Sort of on or around the ball bit of your elbow.

Any thoughts????
  • Is it a reoccuring problem Calf or is this the first time?
    I occasionally get a trapped nerve in my elbow which causes a pain similar to what you are describing but it just goes away by the next time I swim.

The only other thing I can think of is to look at where your hand is when you feel the pain. Are you too far under your body or reaching too deep?

• Could be. I vagluely remember having it before but obviously can't have been that bad.
    Will see how I get on when I go next.

Quite pleased thou. I couldn't swim 3 lengths continously at the start of the year.

Have you recovered from IMUK???
  • had a cr@p swim on sunday - thought i was going to get my first DNF ... couldnt get my stroke or my breath

yet the last open water race i did - i found it easy

could t be cos i dont like salt water swims?
  • waves and the like???
  • Ooooh - not seen this thread before. Just read back over a few pages and it's all good stuff about lessons and tumble turns and nose clips and drills...

I can't afford lessons at the moment, but can go swimming like 5 times a week.

So has anyone produced any lists here on drills (like Bear's catchup) to try in order to improve technique?

P.S. After a lifetime of avoiding them tumble turns are now almost cracked this year :-) - although I wouldn't advise anyone to swim too closely behind me when I'm doing them...
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    DanDan gave me some good tips using my lounge floor and a couple of cushions and explained how it's all in the hips. Seemed to make sense but I have yet to try it out.

I've just signed up for the sleekerswim course at end of October.
  • Great stuff Sezz - I'll let you know how mine goes in two weeks time :oD Really looking forward to it.

I'd be interested to hear the "hips" theory - must admit I do roll my hips but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right
  • wasnt any waves realy - i just couldnt get into it i should have done sub 10:00 but ened up doing 12:25
  • dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    They weren't swimming tips Sezz, they were to improve your...

Oh.Nevermind.

;-)

Have a scope at Speedo Universal Kickboard

This is the one I was on about, so you know what to look for in a shop.Just check it's not too long for your female dimensions.
  • Dan - what's the hips thing?
  • dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    Oh, that link didnt work too well. Dont scroll down, go to the training accessories on the left hand menu and find it that way.

Next time I'm down we'll have a dry-land swim training session at doggets. The benches are ideal for it!
  • Decathlon do very similar stuff for a fraction of the price
  • dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    Oh basically Bear that most people think swim power comes from arms, or even legs, which is totally wrond it comes from the hips.

All your swim power should originate there. The best swimmers have great core strength- its the twist of the hips that generates the power that you transmit on the water through your arm.

Your arm itself should act as an anchor on the water.Your arm goes down under the water, you twist your hips and this pulls you through the water rather than your arms pushing the ater behind as many people think.

Its a hard one to explain on line actually. People who use their arms as a means of propulsion are leaving themselves open to massive shoulder problems and will brn themselves out after a few lengths.

Swimming is all about efficiency and gliding through the water.I'll show you what I mean next time I'm down London-its got to beat reciting pi, surely?!!

:-D
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I should post here I SUCK when it comes to swimming
  • anything beats reciting pi, Dan!

Would be interesting to see - it is a concept I've heard before a lot, and try to follow, but not sure if I manage it
  • dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    Shall we have the next social at Crystal Palace swim pool instead then? Tis the best way to learn, actually doing it!
  • they teach body rotation as means of propulsion in TI
  • dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    Yeah Will, I have one of those too, but the handles one is much better for a beginner trying to concentrate on different things.The aquafoil takes more concentration.
  • that may well be where I've read it.

There does seem to be some disagreement between TI and non-TI about just how much rotation is correct - TI seems to say you go right over onto your side
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Gobi, don't suck, you'll take in too much water!
  • dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    Yup.TI is brilliant for teaching non swimmers to swim in the sense that it provides squillions of drills and learning points.It's movements feel an over-exaggeration for many really fast swimmers, and indeed this is true.

What you gain from the TI appproach is more the mental side of swimming that traditional teaching doesnt allow for.

Some elite swimmers can go very fast indeed using TI. For mere mortals however, I see it as a brilliant teaching tool towards becooming a very very competent swimmer indeed.

You have to see that any drill, wherever t comes from, will necessarily over exaggerate a movemnt in order to make you think about a particular point.The body roll is one huge area most people over look.

For mere mortal swimmers, a near 90 degree roll will indeed be too much.45 degrees or slightly more(up to about 60) is really what to aim for.This will give most people their optimal swim speed.

As you can see though, it gets overly complicated when you start introducing all these different ideas.
  • dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    Swiming is an immensely easy activity to do badly, but extremely hard to get right, yet is the ultimate' less effort, more speed activity'

MOst swim teachers over complicate things.

Simple gliding through the water is what they should be teaching.

I am ASA qualified, but prefer to use TI drills and teaching points because I know they work-having used them myself- and coz it keeps things simple.
  • what i learnt from TI was as Dan says a lot on the metal sid ... i think much more about my swim balance, rotation reach swiming quietly and smooth and so on

It makes long swims mor interesting iof you change focus of what tyou are concentrating on for each 100m ... concentrate on only 1 thing at a time, such as hhead position or hand entry point or correct kick or reach etc

doing this helps you get that one elemnt right and keep it simple ... eventualy wen you are concentrating on 1 thing the rest will be there automaticly
  • metal sid = mental side