FOOD B4 RUNNING

Can I eat and then go running immediately after ? Point 4 in the Going for Goals section suggests I can. For some reason though it doesn't sound advisable to me as usually after I eat I could easily sleep !

Comments

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    It's down to personal preference. I can't run within several hours of eating unless it's just a piece of toast or a biccy. If I do try it I tend to need an emergency pit stop!!
  • I normally have something about 90 mins before a run (nothing that repeats and normally crabs) and sometimes a banana a few mins before run

But I have to make sure i GO before the run or I tend to need an emergency pit stop!!
  • I've tried to go running after eating. Makes me feel very sick. Nuff said.
  • If it's a morning run I tend to have a bowl of porridge an hour before I go out. When I say porridge I mean Oat'so Simple because my best cooking involves the microwave. If it's evening I tend to have sanwiches for lunch and maybe a ceral bar mid afternoon. Depends on how much fuel I need for the intended run. Wouldn't recommend running too soon after food or the bouncing may give you the opportunity to show everyone else what you've just eaten.
  • mulemule ✭✭✭
    I definitely wouldn't eat crabs before a run. Any kind of seafood sounds pretty dodgy!

;-)
  • I had omelette for lunch ( 1 ish) on Saturday - lovely lovely running day- ran about 5 ish for 10k....tasted omelette all the way around. yuck yuck yuck. fortunately it stayed put. (just). So avoid omelette as well as seafood!!
  • I usually eat about an hour before running, something plain like a bagel.

Word to the wise though - don't eat a crumpet 10 mins before running...I'll leave the end result to your imagination!
  • This is what I do:

For Morning Run, I always have breakfast. Generally, porridge made with water not milk or toast (Milk gives me a dodgy tummy when running) - I eat approx 1 hour before run.

Midday Run - Will eat only a banana half hour before.

Evening - Banana half hour before Run.

For Midday and Evening Runs, I eat meals after the run within 2 hours to help recover and muscle recovery.

• Try not to eat 2 hours before a run if it's in the evenings but on my long runs, which tend to be first thing in the morning, I do have a piece of toast and honey an hour before which seems to be okay. Just don't think I can do any serious distance on a completely empty stomach.

Also, have been known to eat on a run i.e. jelly beans - but that's through greed rather than necessity!
  • run rabbit run - how on earth do you have the time to do anything else? if i geared my entire day towards eating at the appropriate time to go running, i'd never finish any work. i generally run early mornings on an empty stomach or late afternoon/early evening before tea. what's your secret to fitting everything in so well?

• I was wondering the same thing. like the sound of the jelly beans though...mmmmmm
  • I eat an apple about 2 hours before running and that keeps me going for about an hour.
  • always have something before - you don't need to be obsessive to think to have a nana 30 mins before you run surely????

hi Flatfeet - how are you?
  • I was wondering...i've heard that you should eat carbs before and protein afterwards...or is it the other way round...or does it really matter?
  • not sure it matters unless you are doing ultras or bodybuilding

a mix of protein and carbs would give slower release of energy and some protein after helps with muscle repair?
  • Hi, I'm new to the site. I'm a Diabetic, (type 1),currently running 11.5 miles in training for the FLM. Unfortunately I have to eat before I run because of my Diabetes. Eating a lot of carbs at the moment and am not loosing any weight. Very frustrating! Any ideas?
  • Looking for some advice! I've started running at 5am as work and young kids take up the rest of my day and night. Only problem is im not sure if I should be eating something beforehand. I get up at 04.30 run at 5 for an hour then have quick brekky, protien shake and bath b4 going to work at 06.30. Im worried that my body is just burning the muscles if I've no fuel in me. Obviously getting up earlier would give me time to eat and digest something but I get little enough sleep as it is.
  • David,
    If you've had a good tea the night before, that should see you ok for your run in the morning - You'll still have plenty of fuel in your muscles. (Sounds like you're running for about an hour?)
    If you have your tea early evening, a bowl of cereal just before bed might be a good idea.

Alternatively, if you really feel you need something in the morning, I find a plain biscuit or two doesn't play too much havoc with my stomach just before a run.

• Thanx Julie that sounds like a good plan to me. I run an hour and did'nt want a full stomach or to be sick.
  • I used to eat before my long run's in the morning, a bowl of shreddies, say an hour before, but I found similar results, you just feel sick after a couple of miles.

So I agree with Julie, I now try to eat a big meal, usually pasta or something with lots of carbs in it the night before. Then a good nights rest. The following morning, before my (reasonably long) runs - around 10 miles on a sat morning, I have a cup of tea. I find it just helps fill that void in my stomach just enough until I have finished my run. I then enjoy a large brunch, like a fry up! feel like I have earned it!

I run during the weeks too. It tends to be intense interval training in the eveings and for this I just ensure I've stocked up on carb rich foods throughout the day, then finish with a good meal afterwards. This meal is usually high in protein as I agree it does help with muscle recovery. Also, if I eat a carb rich meal after this type of training, my metabolism is naturally on "over-drive" and I find I can't get to sleep.

So I guess that if time is not on your side (work and family) and you don't have saturday mornings to yourself and early morning runs are your only option, just fill up the day before with lots of complex carb foods. I also find that tapering (as athletes do before a big race) can help if you plan on a long run and time is against you.

• Glass of orange juice and a banana does the trick for me, about an hour before he run, normally in the mornings...!!
  • Thanks for all the advice. Eight years after posting this I am about to start running again !
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

For me, I have to leave at least a 2 hour gap between eating and running. In the morning I'll eat Weetabix with water (i'm another one who cant have milk) and then a glass of water and i'm fine for 2 hours.

Mid afternoon run: Pasta for lunch

Evening run: Late lunch, Banana 1 hr before running

I guess it's all what you're used to...

• What happened in the intervening 8 years? Did you manage to eat between runs?
  • for the last 8 years I have been eating and drinking non stop ! No running, just piling on the pounds. Thought I better do something about it.
  • I have a bowl of porridge and a cup of tea about an hour before a run. I started running last January and have lost 4 stone. Started with 10 mins run, now up to 10k runs, this sunday bromley will be my first event run, but will be my 5th 10k in total. I also take a bottle of water with me on longer runs.
  • David Thomson 4 wrote (see)
    Looking for some advice! I've started running at 5am as work and young kids take up the rest of my day and night. Only problem is im not sure if I should be eating something beforehand. I get up at 04.30 run at 5 for an hour then have quick brekky, protien shake and bath b4 going to work at 06.30. Im worried that my body is just burning the muscles if I've no fuel in me. Obviously getting up earlier would give me time to eat and digest something but I get little enough sleep as it is.
    If I've eaten ok the day before I just have a cup of coffee and a couple of jaffa cakes for early morning runs. Works fine for me. And suck on a jelly bean or two on the way round, although that last bit is probably just psychological.
  • That's fantastic Jennette. You are an inspiration.
  • I have only really started running but I quite like a bannana,peanut butter and honey toasted sandwich half hour before. It seems to give a energy boost.
  • I tend to run first thing in the morning and always run best on an empty stomach. Even for long Sunday runs of 16 to 18 miles I never have anything to eat before running, not even a glass of water. But try and make sure I have eaten well the night before.